Shelter lights

tttoadman

WKR
I love the idea of the Luci, so I wanted to do a quick check. I am assuming my night time use of my headlamp would cost me one battery change for a week hunt. 3 AAA batts weigh 1.2oz. The Luci weighs 4.4 oz. At that rate, I could have 3 battery change outs before it is basically even. I will continue to pass on this no matter how cool it is.

I will continue to pass on this no matter how cool it is.

For me, it isn't about the weight, it's about the convenience of lighting, and I find my headlamp to be to limiting when trying to illuminate the tent. This is very similar to the light I use, provides plenty of light and is about 3/4 inch thick, so it's easy to pack.

Amazon.com : Outdoor Sport Beach Umbrella Camping Hiking Fishing Tent UFO Night Light Lamp 2 Mode 48 LED Lantern : Patio Umbrellas : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The small Luci... But I think for another 2oz the full size would be better. The smaller one isn't that bright for a Megatarp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
it seems that how much illumination you want in your shelter should drive your choice... All I need is enough to distinguish between pieces of gear so I can cook or whatever, I am not reading or fly tying...

If you have a water bottle and extra batteries you can strap your headlamp to the water bottle and it makes a really bright lamp at night.

epfd217

FNG
Fortunately the OP asked about any light option and rather than the lightest option. I have a Luci, but my favorite is the Goal Zero mini-lantern. It weighs 8oz, so many won't see the value, but I find it provides an amazing amount of light for a very long time. I have a light source that will turn night into day if I need to make a gear repair or it can provide enough light to read by or cook or whatever. If I was doing an UL backpack trip, I may not bring the goal zero, but I love it. GZ also makes a light much like the black diamond that will run off a battery bank and are chainable for filling a bigger tent. They come in two sizes if thats what you're looking for. Its called light a life.

These are about 4 ounces, but work great hanging down the center pole in the tipi. Run on 3 AAA batteries, and provide two levels of light, or a strobe if you have a whiskey and elk fueled rave in your tent.

Access Denied

I have, well my son has a moji. I like it. May steal it for the season.

I got this for xmas. It doubles as a cell phone charger as well. Don't know if I actually want to carry it yet. I get by just fine with a headlamp. It does put out quite a bit of light though. May just use it at base camp. Think it is about $40.

Attachments

• 120697.jpg
    120697.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 42

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a black diamond orbit for years and I really like it. Light weight, adjustable brightness levels, and long battery life.

UtahJimmy

WKR
If backpacking: I use my headlamp and just hang it off my trekking pole or toss it in the tent loft, depends on the shelter. All about multi-use in the BC.

If car/base-camping I have a two pack of goal zero "light-a-life" mini lanterns that hang in the tent. Along with a GZ lantern. The minis work great as they don't require much juice but put off a fair amount of light.