Shelter lights

Tsnider

WKR
just got a Luci for the sawtooth and i think its going to be perfect. i have used a headlamp until now. intended on using the Dark Energy as a tent light and hanging it but its too focused, my headlamp is too focused. so now im carrying an extra 4 ounces with the luci and im okay with that. maybe ill decide at some point i dont want to carry it but for 20 bucks it wouldnt be much of a loss.

i did try the zebralight on my nalgene on my last outing and it didnt work hardly at all using the kifaru green bottle.

rbljack

WKR
Fortunately the OP asked about any light option and rather than the lightest option. I have a Luci, but my favorite is the Goal Zero mini-lantern. It weighs 8oz, so many won't see the value, but I find it provides an amazing amount of light for a very long time. I have a light source that will turn night into day if I need to make a gear repair or it can provide enough light to read by or cook or whatever. If I was doing an UL backpack trip, I may not bring the goal zero, but I love it. GZ also makes a light much like the black diamond that will run off a battery bank and are chainable for filling a bigger tent. They come in two sizes if thats what you're looking for. Its called light a life.

x2...I used the goal zero and it was perfect as a basecamp option...but not a lightweight option. I run two headlamps in my backpack system. I have the zebra 600 (primary) in my main pack, and I have the Zebra H52 in my AGC Bino pack with one spare battery. I feel that having that system provides more options for lighting overall...I have a my daily use and back up headlamp (the H52) and used it as my shelter light when I backpacked in. I saved the 600 for times when I need the "stupid bright light...LOL. The only drawback I have is that I do not have a Red or green light option, so I may have to adjust my system to get a red or green LED light for early morning/after dark hikes to remain stealthy...but for now my system seems to be working ok. Considering the Elight as another option.

I don't have a lot of experience with that system, but it has worked well so far on my Mule deer hunt last year. The Goal zero worked perfect in my sawtooth this past spring on the turkey hunt..but it was a base camp where I could drive to the spot I camped.

rbljack

WKR
Thought id bring this one back up too...seeing how I was the last one that posted, and I have slightly changed my system. So this year I bought the Primus Micro Lantern. I was doing some searches which brought me back here. I still enjoy using that goalzero at a base camp set up. It also works great in the truck when you need extra light at the tailgate, etc. I am taking the H52 zebralight out of my pack and replacing it with a Black Diamond storm this year. I still carry the Zebralight 600, and now have a petzl e-lite in the bino harness. So that's my set up for 2019. Hopefully I get drawn for an elk tag or mule deer tag in WY or NM and can see how things work out. The Primus micro lantern was mainly bought for use in my supertarp to put out a little heat and light when I wake up. Now I need to figure out how to store and carry that thing...LOL> messing with the gear is part of the fun for me I guess!

colonel00

WKR
Thought id bring this one back up too...seeing how I was the last one that posted, and I have slightly changed my system. So this year I bought the Primus Micro Lantern. I was doing some searches which brought me back here. I still enjoy using that goalzero at a base camp set up. It also works great in the truck when you need extra light at the tailgate, etc. I am taking the H52 zebralight out of my pack and replacing it with a Black Diamond storm this year. I still carry the Zebralight 600, and now have a petzl e-lite in the bino harness. So that's my set up for 2019. Hopefully I get drawn for an elk tag or mule deer tag in WY or NM and can see how things work out. The Primus micro lantern was mainly bought for use in my supertarp to put out a little heat and light when I wake up. Now I need to figure out how to store and carry that thing...LOL> messing with the gear is part of the fun for me I guess!
I saw your message but figured I'd just post here. My little Primus lantern came with a little pouch. Mine is the wire one, not glass. Anyway, I just put it in the pouch with an extra mantle or two. Once burned in, the mantles are fragile so you want to have extra.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Nebo flip it. Glue a Velcro patch where you want the light and glue some better Velcro to the back of the flip it. Works great for an in tent light. If you have a mesh loft just lay the light on it pointing down.

Last edited:
I just got the Luminaid on sale at REI, but haven't used it yet other than to test it. I've used Luci lights, and they're all right, though I have an older version where you'd need to either hang it on a hook or use a biner if you wanted to attach it to a loop or ridgeline, which is a minor annoyance (the handle doesn't attach in a way so that you can unhook one side). My main light that I bring though other than my headlamp is an older version of the Suaoki LED camping light. I like to hang it from my hammock suspension. With those, I like that you can recharge them via USB *or* with solar power (and also use the lantern as a power source), though I believe some Luci lights now offer USB charging as well.

There has been a major redesign with the Suaoki lights though (basically a complete re-design - hard to believe it's the same product), with a new, flimsy rigid plastic handle that doesn't "unhook" for easy hanging, and a collapsing plastic accordion body that based on reviews may not be as durable as the old silicon lantern I have, so I'm not sure I can recommend the new version. I love my old Suaoki and it's still my go-to for now, but it weighs about 8 oz, and the Luminaid is lighter and packs more compactly, so I'm looking at that as a possible replacement for the Suaoki.

Beendare

WKR
I've had a 2yr old Moji - the switch failed on me this year.

i have a few of these LED lanterns and some of it is junk. I use them a lot.

i just ordered a couple of the Fenix AA lanterns CL23...hoping these are better quality
Fenix link

Akicita

WKR
I like hanging my Primus Micron lantern anytime I am traveling with any of my butane stoves. If I'm traveling ultralight without a stove I'll pack 6" Cyalum sticks. 20160731_205819.jpg

Last edited:

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Shining a headlamp into a nalgene or water blatter works well, creates a lantern affect

Reactions: RJC

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Shining a headlamp into a nalgene or water blatter works well, creates a lantern affect

If you don't want to bring additional equipment this is the answer. Get yourself a lightly colored nalgene and you'll light your tent up just as good, if not better than a luci.....you could also cut the balloon off the luci (or not inflate it) and use that led piece below a nalgene and really light it up. The water disperses light way better.

Rchr

FNG
I have a Waka Waka Light. Its looks l;ike a medium sized smart phone. There are 2 versions, both versions can be recharged by solar or usb cord. but 1 version has an outlet so that you can connect your phone and charge it off the light. Battery lasts along time. I have had it about 4 years now. If I had to buy another camp light I would buy in a heartbeat.