Post Thanks / Like

Knife Strap for Backpacking

So I am looking to have my knife on me this year instead of in my backpack. I am going to need to attach it to my belt. Yet I generally always have my backpack on. That being the case does anyone have some good suggestions for how to attach a knife to the belt but have it ride low enough that the backpack hip pads aren't on top of it?

I am thinking I may have to end up making my own kydex sheath that has a nylon attachment to the belt.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on your sheath. I have one that attaches by Mollen and just have some simple hangers that dro it below my hip belt.

This is another good option.

Knife Extension | Special Operations Equipment

I have used this and before that, a home brew option I had made up at fort Bragg for decades. The knife can flop a bit if you run but it works fine for must applications.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Google 'dangler sheath'

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not carry your knife on your pack waist belt then carry a folder in your pocket if you always want a knife on your person?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydogs View Post
    Why not carry your knife on your pack waist belt then carry a folder in your pocket if you always want a knife on your person?
    Good suggestion. That is what I do! The Benchmade mini-Barrage is a great knife to clip in your pocket and the 2.92 inch blade length is a perfect shape and size for most uses.
    Last edited by 6mm Remington; 08-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.

8. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Desk Jockey View Post
    Depends on your sheath. I have one that attaches by Mollen and just have some simple hangers that dro it below my hip belt.

This is another good option.

Knife Extension | Special Operations Equipment

I have used this and before that, a home brew option I had made up at fort Bragg for decades. The knife can flop a bit if you run but it works fine for must applications.
    This looks like a really good option! I will also investigate running the knife on the shoulder harness of my back back as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my dangler sheathe. It's so nice when you sit down in your car It just folds out of the way. I don't think I'll carry a knife on my belt again without using a dangler sheathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    CS Mini pal, I always have one in my pocket also but this is handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I zip tie my Esee to my Kifaru belt. Then I have a second sheath on my Native. Works slick!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taped knives to my shoulder straps. You just have to make sure that the knife is secured. Sometimes I'll even run a little tape around the handle of the knife so it won't fall out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the ESSE knife as well, like TradLife 406. I can attach it to my waist belt on my Exo, then if I ditch the pack, the knife goes in the small cargo pocket on the side of my Sitka pants. Simple, quick, always have a great knife on me. I don't use the zip ties, just the factory supplied clip for the sheath.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do the shoulder strap thing make sure your knife doesn't get in the way for a bow sting or mounting your gun stock to your shoulder and your cheek weld standing and prone.

I am far from the most experienced hunter here but have a long standing love affair with sharpy pokey things. The shoulder strap thing has never worked out for me. I did run a smallish fixed blade on a bino harness for a while but decided I liked it on my hip better. Significantly increases the chance I will have it on me when I want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also look for 'drop leg sheaths' or 'drop leg extenders'.

From memory, Blackhawk used to do an extender, although it had a big, clunky buckle. I think Spec-Ops did a sheath with a leg extension, which wasn't too bad.

If you're getting an aftermarket sheath with a plastic insert, one trick is to take out the insert (if possible) gently heat it until it's just pliable, and then mould it to the shape of your blade. This will reduce the rattle in a new / stock sheath insert.

And with that much dangle from a dropleg option, you can get some serious thigh slap. Most of these options therefore come with a paracord or shoelace-type tie on the end of the sheath; this itself can then get caught on things ... I, too, like having a blade handy, but there aren't too many hunting and backpacking scenarios where this needs to be a big blade; combat might be different.

Some makers have focussed on producing a good inverted-carry option for pack straps. One of these is the Gryphon M10 available from Cutlery Shoppe. The first of these had an unsharpened swage, and was more of a concealed/back-up self-defense option. They now do a full flat grind, which makes for a sweet little utility knife (although it's not a dedicated hunting or camp knife). This rides well on a pack strap. I don't think I'd want anything bigger: Gryphon M10FFG Utility/Boot Knife - 4.0" FFG Laminated VG-10 Blade w/DLC Finish - Black Boltaron SheathPro Sheath