Jetboil fuel -- how much to take?

KSBackCountryHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Question- how much fuel do people take for a 10-12 day trip. I'm thinking two meals a day - mountain house, heathers choice, ramen, etc. I have two 8.11 oz cans (jetboils medium sized can) - think this will be enough? Using the Jetboil Flash.
Thanks!!

10 days and 2 hot meals per day using a JetBoil stove in the summer months, at high altitude, is easily satisfied with one 8 oz fuel container. I use an improvised wind screen during high winds.

Akicita

WKR
Depends on ambient temperature, altitude and efficiency of stove. For cold weather 10 Day high country trips boiling 4 to 6 cups of water a day I would say 2 - 110 gram canisters minimum.

That should be plenty if you dont have to boil drinking water. Last year was my first year using a jetboil (windburner) I carried in 1-100gram and 1-230gram canisters for an 7 day hunt with camp at 9,800'. The 100 gram canister lasted the entire trip- 2 meals a day (breakfast+tea and dinner). This year I am going in for 10 days and bringing 2-100gram canisters.
Good luck this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
What's the advantage some of you guys find in bringing two of the 4oz canisters as opposed to a single 8oz one? I've always just brought the larger one to save weight on the canisters, but have noticed a number of people bringing multiple smaller ones.

What's the advantage some of you guys find in bringing two of the 4oz canisters as opposed to a single 8oz one? I've always just brought the larger one to save weight on the canisters, but have noticed a number of people bringing multiple smaller ones.

I dont have an answer but my experience is that there is a portion of fuel in the canister that is "unusable". The pressure drops low enough to make the last bit of fuel burn so slow. That portion seems smaller in a small can vs a larger one if that makes any sense. This could be complete BS but it's the sense I get.

Question- how much fuel do people take for a 10-12 day trip. I'm thinking two meals a day - mountain house, heathers choice, ramen, etc. I have two 8.11 oz cans (jetboils medium sized can) - think this will be enough? Using the Jetboil Flash.
Thanks!!

I could easily go the that long on one with only two boils a day.
I heat or boil water at least 5 times a day and my notes say 5 days for me and the wife both.
That long of a trip I would likely bring a standard size and a partial small for backup if I was 2 boils per day.

oldgoat

WKR
Bring two in case one leaks out which I haven't had happen yet but it does happen according to Forrest!

Hunter6

WKR
Listen to the latest Hunt Backcountry Podcast. They discuss different stoves but talk about how much fuel each one uses per use. I think it's episode 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a MSR pocket rocket I use 1 ounce of fuel per person per day with similar cooking demands. I go for the largest container that meets the requirement to save bulk and a few ounces. If stove would quit, or lack of fuel I eat MT House cold. Takes longer to re-hydrate but OK with me.

1signguy

WKR
Two smalls. One in the pot and one stuffed in the pack somewhere- I drink a lot of coffee when I am camping and I could live on cold MH but not without my coffee. :)

Mike 338

WKR
On a 9 dayer at 6000 ft at temps from 30 to 55 degrees I was getting 2-1/2 days per 8 oz canister. My water filter died so I was boiling my drinking water as well. I'd make 3-4 hot drinks, 2 meals and about 1 liter of water per day.

Spent 9 days in Alaska in September, brought two 230gm canisters per guy. Nobody even emptied their first one. That is with 1-3 meals per day plus coffee. We all had MH or similar for dinner, but many had ramen or MH for lunch, and most had oatmeal for breakfast. This was at only 200 feet above sea level, so your mileage may vary.

A benefit of two smaller canisters is it is a good way to ration your fuel. If you haven't used up your first canister by the half way point in your trip, you know you can boil a few more cups of coffee per day for the second half.

Bl704

WKR
I dont have an answer but my experience is that there is a portion of fuel in the canister that is "unusable". The pressure drops low enough to make the last bit of fuel burn so slow. That portion seems smaller in a small can vs a larger one if that makes any sense. This could be complete BS but it's the sense I get.

Fwiw- if you keep the can warm (inside your coat or bag), especially when it's running low, it seems to be a easier to 'squeeze' that last bit out.

Owenst7

WKR

If you buy higher quality fuel that the Jetboil branded stuff, this is less of an issue. I've had luck getting MSR 4-season fuel to fully empty canisters down to at least 20F without fighting too much.

Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Brand of Gas for Cold Weather?

A 110g canister lasts me about 4-5 days solo, boiling 16 ounces for breakfast and 16 ounces for dinner. This is with a Kovea Supalite and a Trangia 28 pot with a lid. I don't simmer any food, I shut off the stove as soon as I reach a boil and then wrap/insulate the pot while my food soaks in the water.

I would just carry a 220g canister if I needed more than that to save weight. Can't say I've done that from experience, as I generally use alcohol or a Svea if I need a lot of fuel for a long trip or I'm going to be doing real cooking like bacon or something.

Last edited:
yep- 2 small cans, in case one leaks or is defective or not as full as you thought it was.
That is if you are a ways back in, on an extended hunt, and cant afford to have to hike out to get another can.