Headlamp Help

1760yds

FNG
I need a headlamp with red LEDs and the red LEDs need to put out some lumens. On every headlamp I've tried so far the red LEDs aren't bright enough to do anything but maybe read a map that's a couple feet from your face. Also, it would be really nice if you could turn them on/off without cycling the white light on and ruining your night vision.

I ride horses in the dark hunting and white light ruins their night vision. Red light doesn't seem to bother them. Need enough light that I can see tree branches coming and forks in trails that aren't maintained.

I've looked at the specs on every major headlamp company I can find and either they aren't bright enough or they don't list how bright the red LEDs actually are. Someone on here must have a good quality headlamp that puts out enough red light to be useful. Thanks.

oldgoat

WKR
Only help I can offer is maybe look for the headlamps that have a filter housing so you have a bright white light shining through a red lens, I've never seen a red led that put out any real light

OP

1760yds

FNG
May need to look into that. I don't want it crazy bright red. I just want to be able to see 20-30 feet in front of me with red light. Most of the ones I've tried have been more like 4-8 feet which is barely enough to see the ground from the top of a horse.

I have a friend that rides motocross and he has some high powered headlamps that mount on his helmet. Might be a good place to look.

The zebralight with true red led is the best I have found. Output is 100 lumen on high and is more than sufficient for walking.
889c1526972667598675de58f7ee4564.png

OP

1760yds

FNG
That zebralight is just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

nrh6.7

WKR
Is that zebralight red only? I bought one of their lights sometime back and was planning to fashion some red plastic to make a filter, but would rather have a dual purpose light.

eta...just looked on their site and looks like it is just red.

Nrh, it is just red. I think because of the dedicated red led they can get some decent lumen output.

Jackalope

FNG
I just picked up a taktikka+ and it seems like it fits the bill for you. Separate red and white leds. Hold the button to switch between red and white. The light remembers your last setting. Will try to get a couple photos up.

bat-cave

WKR
A few thoughts - FWIW The Black Diamond Icon has served me well and offers multiple light colors. It's not the lightest or the most intuitive to use, but works well and battery life has been good. I like the strap that runs over the top of the head as I find that it keeps it from moving around as much. I've also used the Surefire Minimus. Very pricey, but crazy bright. The best if you pop the red lens off and need to break and animal down solo in the dark. I've also used the Light and Motion Gobe ... another pricey option, but it offers some unique options. You can switch out heads for different colors / beam types etc ... Very bright and the option that I have found useful for some hunting situations is the mount for the back of your hand. The light is then attached to the back of the hand leaving your hands free, but still giving you the ability to readily direct the beam and in whatever color you need.