Contact lenses and the back country what's your system

Remi1

Lil-Rokslider
It's looking to see what everyone does to get through the back country with contacts lenses.
Thanks

Vids

WKR
I wear 30 day lenses, and I'm very lucky in that I can put them in and never pay attention to them until a month later when I need to switch them out. They never seem to bother me. When I used to wear daily lenses I would just bring a tiny mirror, contact case and solution to take out and put back in. I learned early on to wash my hands before messing with them.

Finch

WKR
Back in 2015, I took a small bottle of my cleaning solution and took them out each night. Also, I took a few extras just in case something happened. Plan on doing the same in a couple weeks. Not that big of a deal for me.

edit: these are the 2 week disposables.

Trial153

WKR
I wear them and take them out at night. my eyes just feel better putting them in each morning. a small bottle of solution and cause..plus an extra pair doesn't take up much room or weight.
something to consider is small bottle of re wetting drops. I keep it in my bino harness. sometimes when I am spending hours glassing or it's really windy it's nice to have some re wetting drops with you

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

LASIK!

Until last December I used daily disposable lenses. I just brought a few extra pairs with me in case I wanted to take them out for an afternoon nap or whatever.

OP
R

Remi1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah last year I struggled with dry eyes BAD. At the end of every day I'd almost loose My vision. And took them out every night.. but yes lasik is coming soon!! Was going to doit before this trip but got too busy!!

Daniel_M

WKR
Surgery. I did contacts for many years and had issues in the woods with them. Hard to keep your hand clean enough to stick in your eyeballs every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
I wore them for 15 years. Normally i'd just continue to wear them to avoid the extra weight, I wear them overnight at work so I've been use to sleeping with them. I had PRK surgery this springs and love it so far. Whatever you do bring some eyedrops to keep them feeling fresh.

aron

WKR
I wear dailies when not on a hunting trip. When on longer trips, I buy a few pairs of 2 wk or 30 day ones that can be worked without removing each night and wear them nonstop throughout the trip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
Laser eye surgery!
Find a surgeon that does PRK and LASIK then get what's best for your eyes. PRK (LASIK without the flap) was better for me and I love it! I should have done it years earlier.

BP

Finch

WKR
I was always hesitant of lasik due to the flap. Never heard of PRK. I'm gonna look into this. It would be nice to wake up and actual see!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
R

Remi1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah! I definitely could live without contacts. I'mBasically blind without them.

Fitzwho

WKR
Another one for LASIK. Best investment I've ever made, even considering the four and a half hours of agony afterwards.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Daily disposables for me with a small mirror and small eyedrop bottle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Craig4791

WKR
I use dailys now all the time and just bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Owenst7

WKR
I REALLY like the Opti-Free rewetting drops. Specifically the PureMoist ones. I have no idea why, but I discovered by accident that they work way better than the other OptiFree stuff for me. I use the PureMoist cleaning solution too. I take mine out every night. When I was younger, I used to leave them in for weeks at a time. Most of my complaints with contacts were due to leaving them in too long. I was taught that letting your eyes be open to oxygen for an hour or two every night will allow you to wear contacts much more comfortably also.

I recycled a tiny rewetting drop container to use for the cleaning solution, and keep cleaner, rewetting drops, and a contact case in my backpack. I carry a spare pair of eyeglasses for wearing at night, so I figure if I need to, I'll just wear glasses. I prefer glasses for everyday around town anyway.

I won't consider lasik after my next door neighbor who is retiring from a career in eye surgery discussed with me all the reasons he still wears glasses. That, and I've met four people in the last six months that have had lasik fail and they are back to wearing glasses. One of them now has a chronic tear duct problem that sounds like they just spend their day feeling like they have dry contacts. Not worth the risk to me with my vision.

I ordered a spare pair of glasses from zennioptical for $20 shipped about six months ago and have been really happy with the results. The frames seem to be just as good as the ones I get from the doctor. I got the cheapest possible pair with no fancy lens coatings or anything. I prefer my expensive glasses for wearing daily, but this pair is great for occasional use in the wilderness where they'll get beat up.

One day disposables for me. I wash my fingers in the morning and dry-warm them over my Jetboil burner.

For those that have done Lasick has it had an affect on your ability to see things close up? I has a consultation for Lasick and he made it sound like it was gonna speed up getting Presbyopia.

I had lasik when I was 31. Flap cut with a laser, not a microtome. Not sure if microtome is still an option anymore.
My eyes have not changed since. It was a good investment for me over the last 8 years. As I age, I can feel myself developing presbyopia, but don't figure it's any different than if I hadn't had lasik. As long as I can still see far, I will get cheaters when I start to need them for close up. Not doing any lasik correction.

PRK scares me because it obliterates all the epithelial cells over your pupil, and scar tissue had to re-form across your cornea. Lasik cuts the flap and the epithelial cells over your pupil never get touched, as I understand it.
Definitely do your own research and figure out what you're comfortable with. have multiple consultations with different doctors if possible.