Which stove for 2week+ hunting trip?

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
So far I have 18 days off for elk season, and I plan on backpacking hunting the whole time. I will backpack in and drop camp then day hike from there, only returning to my truck to resupply food and fuel once a week. I will be mostly boiling water for dehydrated food, 3 meals a day.
So I have a Snow Peak canister stove and a MSR Dragonfly with several different size bottles.
I am wondering if the weight of the dragonfly and liquid fuel is worth carrying over the canister stove?
Or just take the canister stove and 2 canisters and then swap them out when I resupply?

bpctcb

WKR
I can't see any reason for you to carry the heavier liquid fuel setup. Swap out fuel canisters at the truck and drive on.

BP

FreeRange

WKR
I used a dragonfly for years but find them unnecessary for early season hunts. Cheapest option would be one of the well reviewed basic $10 ultralight stoves off amazon that are basically an MSR pocket rocket. When you're looking at a week efficiency starts to factor in so a setup like a jetboil or similar from MSR begins to justify the slightly added weight and cost. Not a jetboil guy myself.

BradNSW

FNG
1-15 Sep hunt in Idaho and I carry an Optimus 8R with a small canister to refill the tank once. Good for the whole time...no truck resupply needed. Cook 1 dehydrated meal/day and filter all my water. Pack weight 37lbs. 56 years old and stove has been with me on every hunt since my early 20s.

epfd217

FNG
I love my dragonfly and I defended it fiercely against canister stove users, until I bought a Pocket Rocket2. Its got 90% of the features I need in the dragonfly except for cold weather performance.

Since you're running to the truck to resupply food, leave the dragonfly in the truck in case of cold weather, but canister stove for the win in this case. You'll save more than a pound in weight.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming no burn restrictions, why not a wood burning stove like the emberlit? Carry a half dozen esbit cubes as backup and you have a stove with endless run time on the local (dead) flora. I've been really impressed with my titanium emberlit but acknowledge it takes longer to boil water.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming no burn restrictions, why not a wood burning stove like the emberlit? Carry a half dozen esbit cubes as backup and you have a stove with endless run time on the local (dead) flora. I've been really impressed with my titanium emberlit but acknowledge it takes longer to boil water.

I have one but we have a burn restriction right now.

JClark

FNG
Have used the MSR Reactor for a few years now. Lights everytime, all weather any altitude. My go to stove.