Zebralight H600w series Vs. Fenix HL60r

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I also prefer a neutral white. Regarding whether or not it's worth the extra money for the newer models I'd say probably not. I haven't researched what the newer model changes but it's typically something like adding a few lumens or making it slightly more effecient with the battery. In other words, minor, incremental upgrades. I doubt anyone can actually see with their eyes the difference in 30 lumens of light once you get up past 1000 lumens.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I can't remember the exact model I own, but it's a Zebralight, in neutral white, 18650 battery, flood pattern. I originally got the flood pattern thinking I won't have any use for a throw light in a headlamp, but that turned out not to be the case. While I am super impressed with what I got, it's not entirely useful, unless you're running it on high, which I don't want to do for the sake of run-time. Medium power is usable, but I'd prefer a bit more. High power is like someone turned on the sun. Seriously. The 120* throw makes it so that you don't even have to turn your head to see whats around you. It lights up EVERYTHING.

I plan on ordering another Zebralight, though this time in something more usable. I'm thinking a Mk IV, 18650, cool white (want to try it), spot/spill. I feel that with the concentrated beam, I could run it at a lower power (saving battery) and still have sufficient brightness in front of me, which is where I tend to look. I found I don't need to light up every square inch of my periphery like the flood beam does, though it is handy when you need it. I'll move my current one to spare duty or a camp light.

Zebralight has so many models, variations and iterations....you basically need a logarithm to track and understand them all. Their designated model names seem a bit mystic. A newcomer to the brand is seriously challenged to know what they're getting.

And I still think it's the best no-fidget headlamp I've ever owned. Just don't ask me what model.....

NDGuy

WKR
For the price, the Fenix is going to be tough to beat, especially for someone just starting out with 18650 batteries.

I'll be keeping my Fenix for local and around-the-farm use. It's a great tool. My Zebralight will be what I take on serious trips where everything matters.

What types of 18650 batteries do you guys run? I just picked up a HLR60 and am curious about where I can get the best bang for my buck concerning batteries?

nrh6.7

WKR
OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I use the same Orbtronic batteries nrh6.7 posted above. I have an older model of the xtar charger and didn't pay as much as the amazon link but I've been very happy with both the batteries and the charger. Of course if you don't need the charger (HLR60 has built in charging capability) you can always just buy the batteries here. I've always heard the panasonics are good. Look for a decent brand with 3500 mAh and 3.7V

NDGuy

WKR
I use the same Orbtronic batteries nrh6.7 posted above. I have an older model of the xtar charger and didn't pay as much as the amazon link but I've been very happy with both the batteries and the charger. Of course if you don't need the charger (HLR60 has built in charging capability) you can always just buy the batteries here.

What about them is good? Seem spendy vs some of the Panasonic ones I was seeing. Like these: Amazon.com: 2 Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3400mAh 3.7v Protected Button Top Batteries: Electronics

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Those panasonics should be good as well but it's a 3400 mAh capacity vs. 3500. I haven't run any tests and can't claim with certainty that one is better than the other. I just know the Orbtronic 18650's I've used have performed well. For example, I took my 9 year old on his first backpacking trip two summers ago. I used my zebralight with one of these batteries for camp chores, some reading, etc. Pretty much used every setting on the headlamp at some point. My son wanted a bit more light at night so I set the Zebra on the lowest setting and let it run all night long for three nights straight. When I got home I still had over 75% batter life left. That's good enough for me. I've used these same batteries in a variety of situations and always come away impressed with how long they last. I'm sure there are other batteries out there that will perform equally as well but I don't need to worry about trying to figure that out as I'm satisfied with the performance of the ones I own.

nrh6.7

WKR
I would definitely go with twall's recommendation if you don't need a charger. I didn't have a charger, plus was trying to get as high a mAh battery as possible. Regarding why I picked them...I ended up on candlepower forums and they were very highly recommended 18650's. One key feature was the "protection", which prevents them from getting over charged and over discharged. So far really happy with them.

Considering these are lithium 18650 batteries, I wouldn't advise skimping on quality and reputation. I've got a couple Fenix 3500 mAh cells and I almost don't think I can run them down in normal use. Most guys know how energy-efficient LED lights are, but they don't realize how long you can run a 25-50 lumen output (camp use) on today's quality 18650 batteries. It's typical and expected for me to use one battery for a 2 week backcountry hunt and never discharge it past 50% in my ZebraLight.

I can vouch for brands like Fenix and Tenergy. I would expect Panasonic to be excellent. I've heard Nitecore cells are very good. Do keep in mind that some batteries are directly rechargeable via micro USB port in the battery itself. If you carry a battery bank like Anker, Zendure, etc you can recharge the battery during a trip.

NDGuy

WKR
If you carry a battery bank like Anker, Zendure, etc you can recharge the battery during a trip.

That brings me to another question, which battery bank and portable charger is a good brand besides those? Dark Energy Poseidon?

NDGuy

WKR
I use the same Orbtronic batteries nrh6.7 posted above. I have an older model of the xtar charger and didn't pay as much as the amazon link but I've been very happy with both the batteries and the charger. Of course if you don't need the charger (HLR60 has built in charging capability) you can always just buy the batteries here. I've always heard the panasonics are good. Look for a decent brand with 3500 mAh and 3.7V

Also if I am reading correctly that kit comes with both a wall and AC charger? Would that work well using a car battery to charge on the go?

That brings me to another question, which battery bank and portable charger is a good brand besides those? Dark Energy Poseidon?

I suppose there are many good ones. I also suppose some of the ones that market their names aggressively might cost more without delivering more. My buddy took an Anker unit to Alaska last year and it was perfect for him. I was impressed enough to come home and look into those units. My search took to me Zendure and that's what I bought. Part of it was testing which indicated the Zendure cells were very efficient at delivering a maximum amount of the total stored power before depletion. Some units will store (x) mAh but have trouble delivering most of it. I like the Zedure.

NDGuy

WKR
I suppose there are many good ones. I also suppose some of the ones that market their names aggressively might cost more without delivering more. My buddy took an Anker unit to Alaska last year and it was perfect for him. I was impressed enough to come home and look into those units. My search took to me Zendure and that's what I bought. Part of it was testing which indicated the Zendure cells were very efficient at delivering a maximum amount of the total stored power before depletion. Some units will store (x) mAh but have trouble delivering most of it. I like the Zedure.

Which Zendure did you go with?

nrh6.7

WKR
Also if I am reading correctly that kit comes with both a wall and AC charger? Would that work well using a car battery to charge on the go?

If you are referring to the kit I posted, yes. I can charge in the truck or at home and the charger has 4 different speeds.

Trial153

WKR
I have three battery banks. Go zero, Poseidon dark energy and an Anker ....not sure what models but they are very close to the same size and weight.
I would rank the Anker as the best closely followed by Poseidon and goal zero a distant third. At the time they were close specwise. They all have substantial weight albeit a necessary evil....

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I use an Anker and it's worked well over the last couple of seasons. I've heard they can go bad out of nowhere and leave you hanging but I haven't had that happen yet. The downside to Anker vs. Dark Energy is the Anker is not waterproof, but neither is my camera gear so it get's lumped in with that stuff in the pack.