Zebralight H600w series Vs. Fenix HL60r

twall13

WKR
I apologize in advance that this got long winded. Hopefully it's helpful to someone.

I've been running a Zebralight H600w MKII XM-L2 for the last few years and I really like it. In conjunction with that light I always have a Petzl E+lite in my bino harness as a backup. I saw a few people talking about the (unfamiliar to me) Fenix HL60r on Rokslide and I liked some of the features enough to give it a shot. I just sold it and wish I would have gotten a few more photos and comparisons beforehand but I didn't really think about writing this up until I had already sold it (which got me thinking about why I sold it). Everyone has different wants/needs in gear so let me tell you why I sold the Fenix.

The Fenix HL60 is a great headlamp and there really is a lot to like about it. Let me go over some of the things I really like about this model before going into why I sold it. It is waterproof to IPX-8 standards. It uses my preferred main headlamp battery, an 18650 rechargeable. It puts out 950 lumens on the highest setting (very bright and hard to distinguish a difference between the extra few lumens of the Zebralight). It has a neutral white led as well as two small red led's to not ruin your night vision. This light also has a micro usb port to recharge the battery without taking it out of the lamp. I liked this feature since I always take an Anker battery pack to charge my phone (gps w/OnX maps) anyway so I could actually leave the spare 18650 in the truck and save some weight (1.66 Oz.). In comparison to the Zebralight the beam is a much more even flood type pattern without the hotspot. For close up stuff I really liked the beam pattern but the throw isn't quite as good as the Zebralight; a trade off that comes down to personal preference. I thought I'd point it out as it certainly doesn't have the hotspot my model of Zebralight has so it would be more comparable to the floody or possibly flood version of the Zebralight. I really like that the light has a memory so it starts out on the last setting you had it on. This is handy because I don't want to blind myself and/or my buddies and lose all night vision when I turn the headlamp on at first. I can leave it on the red LED setting and move up in brightness from there. Lastly, they can be purchased for around $75 and that includes one 18650 battery and a way to charge it. Not a big deal to me as I already have a few 18650's and a charger but when comparing to the Zebralight it's a nice bonus, especially if you are looking at your first 18650 powered light. The Zebralight costs $89 and you still have to buy a battery and charger so all in your are closer to $120+.

Now, for the reasons I stayed with the Zebralight. Most of the reasons are personal preference. First, while I like the even beam on the Fenix, the standard beam of the Zebralight is a better all around beam for my use. It works well enough for map reading, camp chores, etc. and is unbeatable when you need to see the what's ahead in the dark. That's obviously personal preference but Zebralights provide more options here so it's worth pointing out. Next, the settings on the Zebralight allow for more customization. I can set different sub settings, I can quickly jump to the highest setting or start off on the low setting as the situation demands just with different sequences of the one button. It is more complicated to figure out at first but once you get it down it provides a lot more versatility, IMO. The Fenix also weighs more (though overall it's less if I don't bring a spare battery because of the charging port). Each with one 18650 battery and no top strap on the headband weighs: Fenix- 5.26 Oz, Zebralight- 4.06 Oz. I found that the extra weight was noticeable to me and I had to run the top strap on the headband which adds a bit more weight as well (I don't use the top strap on the Zebralight). The beam is offset on the Zebralight, but it's design keeps it closer to your head so it's more stable. Speaking of the headband, for extended use I found the rubber mount on the Zebralight is more comfortable than the hard plastic on the Fenix. Maybe it's just the shape of my head but I prefer the softer rubber. Lastly, as with most headlamps I've used, the red LED's on the Fenix didn't put out enough light to be very useful for me. They would work for really close up stuff but wouldn't be any better than the red LED on my Petzl E+lite for hiking, etc.

In summary, both are great headlamps and it just comes down to personal preference which you choose. For the comfort and program-ability I stayed with the Zebralight. For the price, the Fenix is going to be tough to beat, especially for someone just starting out with 18650 batteries. Though I didn't test the battery life to failure on the Fenix, I used it long enough to feel confident that battery life shouldn't be a problem with either of these headlamps. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do the best I can to answer them based on my experience.

I'm not sure how I missed this review and comparison, but glad I finally saw it. I have these 2 headlamps and my interpretation of them is basically identical to twall13.

I give my edge to the Zebralight for its balance, lighter weight and soft rotation for beam angle. It's still my #1 light when I need absolute top performance and comfort.

The Fenix light IS a superb unit and (I think) it edges the Zebralight for immediate ease of use, given there are fewer things to learn. It also comes in at less overall cost which might be important to some folks.

I'll be keeping my Fenix for local and around-the-farm use. It's a great tool. My Zebralight will be what I take on serious trips where everything matters.

nrh6.7

WKR
Agree that Zebralights are a great light. Plus they are local to me, so helping a local company.

I learned about them here on RS and purchased a Mk II H600fw because of the reviews. Didn't realize at the time though that it didn't have much of a throw. Used it around the house and while it was great for flood, it didn't reach very far. Started looking for a deal on the Mk II H600w, which is discontinued but found one used here and grabbed it. This one will reach out and touch someone!

Since I will be carrying a spare battery anyways, I'll just use the H600fw for the battery holder and have a good backup.

Which Zebra Light would you guys suggest as a good "All Around light"? They are having a sale and I am thinking about picking one up. Was thinking about getting the Fenix but with the Sale I'm now leaning to Zebra light. There are a lot of models and need to some help narrowing it down.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Which Zebra Light would you guys suggest as a good "All Around light"? They are having a sale and I am thinking about picking one up. Was thinking about getting the Fenix but with the Sale I'm now leaning to Zebra light. There are a lot of models and need to some help narrowing it down.

I prefer the H600 Cool White headlamp for blood trailing and general use.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
What are you wanting it for Battleborn? I own three different models of Zebralights at this point and they all have a different use for me. Most guys prefer the neutral white color for blood tracking. I personally really like the 18650 battery though some guys prefer the AA or CR123's. The other battery options will save you a bit of weight but you won't get the same brightness or battery life out of them.

I also really like the standard beam pattern for backcountry use. It's not as good for studying a map but it's certainly usable. What it will do is light up the night for hiking in the dark. The extra throw keeps you from getting cliffed out, etc. If you aren't worried about that and prefer something more suited to close up camp chores, map reading, etc. the floody or flood beams would work better. The flood beam is really even, the floody still has a bit of a spot to it but and will reach out a bit further but doesn't have anywhere near the throw of the standard beam. I'd personally probably never get the flood beam for backpack hunting but could see myself with a floody lamp in the woods. To me, the flood beam is better suited for use around the house, in the garage, etc.

Tell us a little more about how you are using it and we can probably do a better job of recommending the right headlamp.

just saw that page battle.
man, that is a lot of lights to pick through.
thanks for the link

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
For those who don't understand the Zebra models it basically boils down to a couple of things.

They have different model numbers that are basically driven by the type of battery they take. As time goes by the update the model numbers and phase out older model lamps. Those are usually the discounted/sale items though not always.

Within each model number they have 3 beam patterns- Standard, Floody, and Flood. Standard is 80 degree spill, 12 degree hot spot. Floody is a frosted lens with a 90 degree spill pattern. Flood is an even 120 degree beam.

Next they have cool white or neutral white beams for every model. Recently they have added high CRI colors that, as I understand it, are supposed to represent more natural sunlight type conditions (supposed to be an improvement over neutral white). Someone else can likely explain this better but for my purposes I want something close to sunlight color. The cool white has a more blue hue to it that appears a bit brighter to the human eye but is less like natural sunlight. They also have a few models that are straight red LED's with no option for a white beam. The bulb itself is red. They put out some pretty good light for a red lamp.

If you understand those basics it becomes a bit easier to sort through some of the models and find what you want. I have a floody H32Fw I use for jogging as it weighs next to nothing and puts out impressive light for it's weight/size. It would make a good backup light in the woods but my primary is still an 18650 powered H600w as I know I can rely on the battery lasting and it's nice to have daylight type conditions on the brightest setting for the moments I need it.

nrh6.7

WKR
For those who don't understand the Zebra models it basically boils down to a couple of things.

They have different model numbers that are basically driven by the type of battery they take. As time goes by the update the model numbers and phase out older model lamps. Those are usually the discounted/sale items though not always.

Within each model number they have 3 beam patterns- Standard, Floody, and Flood. Standard is 80 degree spill, 12 degree hot spot. Floody is a frosted lens with a 90 degree spill pattern. Flood is an even 120 degree beam.

Next they have cool white or neutral white beams for every model. Recently they have added high CRI colors that, as I understand it, are supposed to represent more natural sunlight type conditions (supposed to be an improvement over neutral white). Someone else can likely explain this better but for my purposes I want something close to sunlight color. The cool white has a more blue hue to it that appears a bit brighter to the human eye but is less like natural sunlight. They also have a few models that are straight red LED's with no option for a white beam. The bulb itself is red. They put out some pretty good light for a red lamp.

If you understand those basics it becomes a bit easier to sort through some of the models and find what you want. I have a floody H32Fw I use for jogging as it weighs next to nothing and puts out impressive light for it's weight/size. It would make a good backup light in the woods but my primary is still an 18650 powered H600w as I know I can rely on the battery lasting and it's nice to have daylight type conditions on the brightest setting for the moments I need it.

Zebralight has never been accused of making the buying process easy! Great explanation.

What are you wanting it for Battleborn? I own three different models of Zebralights at this point and they all have a different use for me. Most guys prefer the neutral white color for blood tracking. I personally really like the 18650 battery though some guys prefer the AA or CR123's. The other battery options will save you a bit of weight but you won't get the same brightness or battery life out of them.

I also really like the standard beam pattern for backcountry use. It's not as good for studying a map but it's certainly usable. What it will do is light up the night for hiking in the dark. The extra throw keeps you from getting cliffed out, etc. If you aren't worried about that and prefer something more suited to close up camp chores, map reading, etc. the floody or flood beams would work better. The flood beam is really even, the floody still has a bit of a spot to it but and will reach out a bit further but doesn't have anywhere near the throw of the standard beam. I'd personally probably never get the flood beam for backpack hunting but could see myself with a floody lamp in the woods. To me, the flood beam is better suited for use around the house, in the garage, etc.

Tell us a little more about how you are using it and we can probably do a better job of recommending the right headlamp.

I would be using it mainly for hiking into/out from hunts in the dark, also work around camp. It looks like the Floody might be a good middle ground from what you posted above.

gelton

WKR
I would be using it mainly for hiking into/out from hunts in the dark, also work around camp. It looks like the Floody might be a good middle ground from what you posted above.

I have 3 zebralights as well. I have the M600 Floody and spot - I prefer the floody when in dark timber and deadfall and the spot for trails. I also have H52 that runs on AA and I use that one around camp. So usually I have my H52 that I leave at the tent and take the Floody and Spot 600's with me all the time. Probably overkill but remember the torch mode (1,000 Lumens) is only good for a short time and if you get turned around or are blood trailing you will probably want both. If I had to choose just two it would be the 600 Spot and the H52 they compliment each other well.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR

Floody is a good middle ground for sure. Knowing that is what you want, just narrow down which type of battery you want and you have weeded out most models. gelton's post has some good information along those lines as well.

rbljack

WKR
I have 3 zebralights as well. I have the M600 Floody and spot - I prefer the floody when in dark timber and deadfall and the spot for trails. I also have H52 that runs on AA and I use that one around camp. So usually I have my H52 that I leave at the tent and take the Floody and Spot 600's with me all the time. Probably overkill but remember the torch mode (1,000 Lumens) is only good for a short time and if you get turned around or are blood trailing you will probably want both. If I had to choose just two it would be the 600 Spot and the H52 they compliment each other well.

x2...this is what I run as well. The 600 for stupid bright when needed, and the H52 stays in the bino harness. The 600 is used for the hikes and run on Medium or low typically. Save the High mode for when its really needed. I use the H52 a lot to save battery life on the 600 when in camp, etc.

aron

WKR
Is there any reason to pay the extra $40 for the new model H600 versus the older versions? Do most prefer the H600FW (neutral white) or H600F (cool white).