Coolers - One larger or two smaller??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm looking to buy a high-end cooler but I'm on the fence if I should get one 165qt cooler or two 75qt coolers.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this before and what do you recommend. The good, bad and ugly.

Thanks!

Grumman

WKR
If you plan on moving them around much the two 75 quart ones or a small and large one will be more versatile. A 165 loaded up with ice is very hard to move. I have a 65 Yeti I use 90% of the time then a 120 Coleman Xtreme I use along with it for meat hauling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murdy

WKR
Also, unless you have a truck, 2 smaller would probably be easier to pack into your vehicle. I have a big one, don't recall if it 120 or 165, and it gets used rarely. If you want to use one for weekend camping trips, a lot easier to bring one 75 and leave the other at home unless you really need the space.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like bigger coolers. I take a 200qt and a 120qt for elk hunting. Funny thing is, we've been eating elk all year and I thought we were down to the last remnants. But I defrosted one freezer the other day and put all the meat in one 120qt cooler, and it was overflowing. And it was stacked pretty well in there. I'd want at least two 120's.

Go with two smaller ones. They will be used all year long, instead of one giant one that can't be moved when full. Also you can dedicate one as a drink cooler and one as a food cooler, or one for ice storage and the other one to be used. That will allow you to keep from opening the ice cooler every time you want a piece of string cheese, keeping it cold for longer. I have used two 65 quart Pelicans like this for about two years now, and every time I end up with plenty of ice to donate to those with cheaper coolers or big coolers that they are constantly opening and closing.

If you are dropping a bunch of money on premium coolers, you may consider getting different sizes. I have found that some places just don't fit the bigger one, and it is nice to have options when playing gear-tetris in the back of the truck.