Anyone ditch the tripod?

So for this years CO deer hunt I am going to take a little heavier 2 man tent (double wall) rather than my smaller one man to give me more room and keep the condensation from getting all over inside my tent. Last year with the moisture that is in the high country the condensation was bad and every morning I was getting things wet brushing up against my tent walls. Being rained in a day really sucked in that small one man too. So to make up for the weight I thought I will leave the tripod behind. I run the 50mm Vortex so I think I can steady it on my trekking poles when I want to get a better look at a deer. Anyone do this?

Seems like it would work unless like here , the wind is a factor in the high country . Even with a tripod its hard to steady the spotter sometimes , id take the extra 2 1/2 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheCougar

WKR
My tripod is a critical piece of equipment. If I plan on finding game by glassing, there is no way I would ever leave it behind. If I am just carrying my binos for still hunting, then I would leave it behind. But glassing? No way I leave it behind. Put it another way: I would rather use 10 power on a tripod than a spotting scope on a trekking pole. If I'm shaving ounces, I ditch the spotter.

OP
MuleyFever
I guess there are a lot of variables. I will be above treeline looking for deer. I won't be glassing that far, from above into a basin or across a drainage. I don't recall in the past using the spotter to find deer. They are pretty easy to find with binos then just get a better look with the spotter. I'm also not counting inches. I guess the one good use for the spotter is picking apart the brush to find those other deer you don't pick up with the binos.

The weight penalty for the tent is about 17oz. Maybe I just suck it up.

Dinger

WKR
Aside from finding and watching deer, you are going to miss it once you get one and want to capture some decent memories....I have kicked myself on numerous occasions for cutting the tripod for the sames reasons only to regret it when its camera time.

I always hump it out now, regardless if it is a morning hunt, or I'm out there for a mulitple days.

gumbl3

WKR
If you don't take the tripod, leave the spotter. You can get away with scanning at 11x, but if you want to really look at something in higher magnification, forget about it. I've tried pulling out the spotter and laying it on a rock, my pack, trekking poles when I wanted get a better look at something and it just doesn't work.

I dont carry a spotter at all. Trekking pole with a 1/4 - 20 insert. Then use a vortex bino adapter and you can mount any pair of binos right to the top of your trekking pole. I run 8x42s and 10x50s like this.

FlyGuy

WKR
Check out the Kramer designs Granite Peak tripod. It is designed specifically for this type of hunting situation. Works with binos and that small spotter and so light you wouldn't think of leaving it. I'm running the same spotter on mine. They are also a sponsor.

My tripod is a critical piece of equipment. If I plan on finding game by glassing, there is no way I would ever leave it behind. If I am just carrying my binos for still hunting, then I would leave it behind. But glassing? No way I leave it behind. Put it another way: I would rather use 10 power on a tripod than a spotting scope on a trekking pole. If I'm shaving ounces, I ditch the spotter.

This is exactly my thoughts too.

FreeRange

WKR
Check out the Kramer designs Granite Peak tripod. It is designed specifically for this type of hunting situation. Works with binos and that small spotter and so light you wouldn't think of leaving it. I'm running the same spotter on mine. They are also a sponsor.

x2 on the KDC tripod. Also their balance-adjuster rail is really nice for such a light head, you can adjust so there's no inclination for your bino's to tip forwards or back, you really need it on some bino's depending on where the adapter thread is located relative to center of gravity.

For bino-only glassing or a light spotter these tripods are perfect and weigh so little you never second-guess throwing it in your pack.

OP
MuleyFever

I forgot all about this. When I first saw it here I figured I would buy one then it completely slipped my mind. I leave Friday so a little late but I need to get on there and get one of these setups

FlyGuy

WKR
He is pretty much a one man operation so its worth giving Terry a call. If it is possible to get shipped out to you before you leave he will do everything he can to make that happen. Terry Kramer 406-933-8658.

Which Granite Peak tripod are you guys using, and what all does the tripod come with? Do you have to buy any special attachments for your binocs?

I completely agree. Ditch the spotter and run your binos off your tripod if you want to save weight. I love my spotter but it is not always needed.

frankrb3

WKR
I completely agree. Ditch the spotter and run your binos off your tripod if you want to save weight. I love my spotter but it is not always needed.

Exactly what I started doing this year. I don't have a size requirement when it comes to bull elk. Any legal bull will do, so all I need to do is find them. Binos on a tripod is king for finding elk. Spotting scope is nice for judging an animal, digiscoping, or really picking apart an area. Since I stopped taking my spotter I haven't had a moment where I felt like I needed it.