I want to upgrade my lighter

I went in to sportsmans warehouse the other day. I saw that they had a few different options. Zippo, UST, delta something. Has anyone had good or bad luck with any of these brands? Also saw a YouTube video for the turbo flame. I have been using just a regular bic and it has failed me a few times in cold temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
Just a regular full sized Bic is the most reliable one that I have used (just put it in your pocket for a little bit first). I have talked to a guy who has been a part of Mt. Everest base camp support staff, and he said the same thing. So I figured that if it was good enough for pro's up there, then it should be good enough for me.

frankrb3

WKR
Same here for the bic lighters, except I use the mini ones and spread them throughout my gear and clothing.

mtnkid85

WKR
Full size bic and windproof matches are going to be real hard to beat as far as reliability.
Those little butane "torch" lighters are very fickle towards elevation and temperature.
If your just wanting a nicer lighter, zippos are always fun.

I'll echo the previous comments. Bics have proven the most reliable under all conditions for me. I've had some butane type torch lighters that flat out wouldn't light at higher elevations. Never had that problem with a Bic.

add me to the Bic pile. Zippos are cool, and fun to fidget with, but there is a bit of a learning/maintenance curve with them.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I looked into upgrading from a bic several years ago and after extensive research determined there was nothing offered that was any 'better'.

Second th bic and waterproof windproof matches as a back up. Or better yet 2-3 bics and matches.

I have a zippo. It is always out of flint or fuel when I want it to work. Stopped carrying it years ago. I looked at cooler lighter and Ferrao rods but nothing works as well as a bic for me.

bic x like a million...lol. small, light, bulletproof. always carry matches too though, and I do have a flint as well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another bic guy here. They do need to be warm but that's easy by keeping them close to your body. Mine are wrapped in duct tape which seems to insulate a bit. Take off the child guard. I still carry storm matches and a small ferro rod as well.

WyoElk

WKR
BIC here too. I wrap electrical tape over the tops of a couple in my packet keep them watertight for an emergency.

a striker and trioxane make a great back up if your worried about the lighter not functioning. cheaper than a fancy lighter and no more weight.

OP
cody21peterson
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like a new bic is the best choice.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like a new bic is the best choice.

Just curious what prompted the need to "upgrade"?

Were you using a lighter that was repeatedly failing?

muddydogs

WKR
Only thing better then a Bic is 2 or 3 Bics. I carry a mini in my pocket everyday and it always lights when needed. Put a couple more in your pack for backup's and you will always have fire. Plus a bic makes a good place to store Duct and electrical tape.

boom

WKR
i have a fancy butane one..i tossed it into my junk drawer. it wasnt reliable.

my zippo..unless i'm using it wrong, it seems to ALWAYS be in some stage of evaporation. they just are not meant to be airtight. the fuel evaporates. it's also in the junk drawer.

BIC..i have them everywhere. cheap and reliable.

I have a torch I think I bought at Walmart. I used it to thaw locks in the winter. I also carry a bic and matches.