Syn game bags

snowplow

WKR
Is there any appreciatable difference in material or design of the common syn game bags or should l just get whats on sale at the moment?

I know of Tag Bags, Carribou, VIam, ovis. Any others to consider?

Akicita

WKR
We bone out and use heavy cotton bed linens sewn into to bags of whatever size we personally like. When I'm out for Mule Deer I bring 5 XL Pillow cases and a roll of electrical tape. I have washed and reused the same bags or pillow cases and replace if they get torn. Mrs. Akicita says the last set of sheets and pillow cases she bought for this cost around $20.00.

Have you considered buying bags from cottage type vendors. There are several here that sell them. They are long lasting, washable, and built for many years of use. God Blesd

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
l have. Thats exactly why l started this thread. I know of some who just make them from the tarp material and wasnt sure if the Tag/Carribou bags were made out of something different that was more breathable or something. Or maybe its all basically the same?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Would you agree that if nobody seems to know if its really any different then its all prob basically the same?

oenanthe

WKR
l have. Thats exactly why l started this thread. I know of some who just make them from the tarp material and wasnt sure if the Tag/Carribou bags were made out of something different that was more breathable or something. Or maybe its all basically the same?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but: "tarp material"? I've never heard of any game bags made from tarp material. Tarps are usually waterproof (silnylon, etc.). Game bags are usually highly porous and breathable.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I could totally be missing something, I probably am, but that's what I thought. That's kind of what I'm trying to learn, I don't know the difference between all these Fabrics. And I clearly don't know what I'm talking about LOL.

Bone out bags made for packing inside packs are often made from water proof material. Many times, that is not a breathable material. Sometimes it is. But, the latter takes a cottage vendor to get.

Anything made from an uncoated polyester or nylon is very breathable and not water proof. They offer durability and long term use over most commercial game bags.

The water proof, non breathable game bags that some companies sell are meant for packing meat inside the back pack. And, once meat is cooled and crusted, are good choices for keeping water off if hanging in camp too. But, any freshly killed meat should be cooled in an uncoated bag for best results. I'm sure some do not do this but, meat should be cooled as quickly as possible for best taste. Waterproof bags ensures some of the blood to stay in the bag with the meat. Whether they breath or not is irrelevant. So, on an initial kill, put it in breathable, non water proof bags. What you do with it after that is determined by how you intend to pack it out. God Bless

GKPrice

Banned
there are older threads addressing all of this - it's arguable that synthetic breathable material will not grow bacteria as readily as cotton material - I don't usually have this problem any more so I can't say but back in the late 90's we did a moose/caribou 12 day'er and lost a lot of our meat to spoilage, we used cotton

I'd suppose that "tarp material" in the context stated would be cotton canvas - again, for a short stay in the cotton a person would probably be OK but any lengthy timeframe and I think I'd opt for synthetic

TAG bags for me, I use both the bone in and bone out set ups. Soaked em in cold water and bleach, then washed them - just like brand new.
Great product !!

MtnMuley

WKR
TAGs and Kifaru meat bags here. I like supporting the original guys when I can. I've had dozens of bucks, bulls, and rams in the TAG bags over the years and I've yet to have one blow out. That speaks for itself.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the TAG bags for back pack hunts. My buddy used a set of the Caribou Gear on his sheep hunt this year and they seemed pretty similar to my TAG bags.
TAG - T.A.G. Bags Bomb Pack Game Bag
I just received a set of the Black Ovis bags. Its a large, heavy kick with a lot of cool stuff in it. I will just break it down use what I need, trip dependent. Ovis Sacks - Lightweight Big Game Kill Kit Bags

For Moose and Caribou where we hunt out of a base camp we take a couple of the Alaska Game Bags Alaska Packs.
Alaska Game Bags Alaska Pack AMP7 - Santana Outdoors

There are so many options out there its nice to be able to mix and match and create an excursion specific set. For example, I like the reflectors on the Black Ovis sacks, but the TAG bags seem to be tad lighter. Mix and matching helps me create the perfect kit for me.