What gear do you outfit your kids in?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took my 4 year old into the mountains "elk hunting" and it definitely made it evident he and my other children will need some better gear soon in the future. What gear do you all get for your kids to make their time in the hills more comfortable? I have a 4 year old boy who gets cold easily, a 2 year old girl who is rarely is bothered by cold, and a 2 month old infant (Yes I know, no more kids...i think...god I hope so!)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
Start looking for backpacking stuff, I found way better gear for them it's just not camo. Backcountry has good sales and good customer service. And neutral colors can be handed down easier.

We bought a leafy suit from Bass Pro that my son could wear over anything we had around the house to match temps and activity level. Best $80 I've spent on his hunting gear. He can wear it with a t-shirt and shorts in hot summer time and over a snow suit in super cold temps. He feels stealthy in it and saves a ton on size specific hunting clothes.

Dinger

WKR
Same as above and depending on how cold it is in your area, I used some kids ski gear for my son when he was smaller. This pastime usually has an excellent range of waterproof kids wear that is not that expensive.....and there is always a ton of gear available secondhand. I don't worry about the bright colours as I want to be able to see him!

Kids being kids need their gear to to be waterproof, if there is water anywhere they will find it........I generally figure on having spare pants, boots, socks and gloves to swap out each day while the other set dries.

I have a couple of next to skin merino pieces for him but generally I keep all insulation, clothes and sleeping, synthetic as it will work far better when wet....just an extra degree of insurance to make sure the trip is enjoyable.

Last edited:

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to keep an eye on this topic, as I have had some of the same questions... I've really enjoyed checking out the second hand store for some items. Both boys have some cool polar fleece pullovers and jackets that cost me barely anything. I wanted to be sure I had stuff for them that wasn't all cotton, since they always manage to get wet. Pants were also a concern for me and I really didn't want to spend a bunch of money. At the same store, I found some mostly polyester (but blended with cotton) pants in camo for each of them. I didn't care about them being camo-was just a bonus. I figure at least they're not 100% cotton, so that's gotta be some help. I spend the little extra money on waterproof hiking boots for them, though. And I hit up Sierra Trading Post for wool socks for each of them. Dry/warm feet go a long ways.... I also hit up sales and cheap stuff for synthetic shirts. My goal has been to find enough stuff to layer them nicely and clothing that will dry faster than cotton.

I have a rain jacket for the oldest, but not specific rain gear for them. I have used contractor leaf bags in the past, though. I poke a hole for their head and they wear it like a poncho. Keeps them mostly dry until we get where we are going. I try to have enough of the right stuff to keep them fairly comfortable. If they're comfy/warm/dry, there's a much better shot of them enjoying the time out and me getting to be out there longer :).

Jeremy

I bargain buy for all of my kids so far. The oldest is getting into the teenage years and will be getting better stuff soon. I can't afford to buy them good stuff at the rate that they are currently growing.....they don't even get a full season out of it.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
No advice to offer for your older kids, but I have started accumulating outdoor appropriate gear for our daughter (now 8 months old). Because she's growing so fast, I am mostly buying used items from thrift stores and consignment stores. Camo doesn't much matter to me, but keeping her warm and dry does. I am finding at least for an infant that doesn't walk, fleece is about the best "performance" fabric I can find, although I did pick up some UPF rated synthetic style shirts for next summer. As much as I hate putting her in cotton, there are few choices for babies (and what does exist costs a fortune!). She's been camping since she was 4 months old, and we typically layer her in some combo of regular onesies and pants, or fleece suits/pjs, with insulated puffy bunting suits, and then a Tuffo brand zippered rain suit when necessary. Her rainsuit is a roomy 12mo size, and since she isn't walking yet I rubber banded the feet closed so whatever footed suit she's wearing stays dry. Once she's walking, it will be a different ball game I am sure.

My kids grow too fast to justify high end gear for the 1-2 trips a year they take. On the other hand being cold and miserable is a good way to turn off a future hunter.

Camo outgarment over regular winter gear has worked for me. I usually buy some Walmart grade (russel or browning) stuff on sale after season in a size in think will work for next year. Until recently I would also pick up stuff at deep discounts at gander mountain after season too.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Columbia Sportswear has a pretty awesome kids lineup of technical clothes for fairly reasonable prices. We spend allot of time camping and fishing, and it's held up well.