Sell me on some gaiters!!

Wanting to pick up a pair of gaiters for this season. I think I have it narrowed down to the KUIU Yukon or the First Lite Brambler. Any input on those two or maybe some others to look at? I wear a size 13 boot but i'm not really a big guy so I don't want something that fits very lose if that makes sense lol. Thanks!

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
Wanting to pick up a pair of gaiters for this season. I think I have it narrowed down to the KUIU Yukon or the First Lite Brambler. Any input on those two or maybe some others to look at? I wear a size 13 boot but i'm not really a big guy so I don't want something that fits very lose if that makes sense lol. Thanks!

Have the bramblers and they're awesome.

Be aware that gaiters are sized on calf size, not boot size. I were a size 12 boot but have the Small/Medium sized gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
flinginairos
Have the bramblers and they're awesome.

Be aware that gaiters are sized on calf size, not boot size. I were a size 12 boot but have the Small/Medium sized gaiters.

How big are your calfs? Mine are right at 16" measuring over pants. Are the bramblers truly waterproof?

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure but I'll see if I can measure my calves tonight.

They're not 100% waterproof but they will keep your boots/pants dry unless your wading streams or walking through tall wet grass for extended periods

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Been wearing Kuiu for quite a while. I like them a lot, but haven't tried the first lite.
0670ee70f58413b78103d933c71cae1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

snakelk

WKR
I've been wearing Kuiu for 3 years and they're by far my favorite gaiters. They fit snug, but not tight and they've held up to a lot of abuse (rocky terrain). Wore through the straps on my old pair of REI gaiters, but the Kuiu seem to be wearing better. I've torn a hole in one but have since repaired it with needle and thread and Aquaseal wader repair sealant and they're still going strong. Have never owned First Lite gaiters but I plan to buy another set of Kuiu when I wear the current ones out.

wapitibob

WKR
Partner just bought first lite gators, large size. Looks like he taped his ankles and he's only 150. Couldn't give me a set of those things.

tracker12

WKR
Started using a pair of Kuiu gaiter two years ago. No idea why it took me so long to get a pair.

NDGuy

WKR
I heard the OR Crocs are loud and the Kuiu are more quiet, is this true?

GregB

WKR
I've been using the Kenetrek hunting gaiter and haven't had any issues. They're in the same price range as your other 2 options.

Fitzwho

WKR
I've been looking at the Kenetrek Hunting Gaiters as well. I own the L/XL pair of Kuiu Yukon Gaiter's and they don't fit at all. My calf is 18" measured cinched down over jeans.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've got a pair of First Lite Brambler's in Large and I can fit them over my Sorel Caribou's, so I'd say there's plenty of room for them to go over your boot. Fully cinched they fit on my skinny calves (around 15-16" at the widest point over pants, based on highly scientific measurements using a standard 8.5"x11" sheet of paper).

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased a pair of OR Crocodile gaiters in 2006. I got lucky and was able to get them in a gray color. I can not ruin them. Keep thinking I will get a new pair, but they just keep on ticking. They are a tad loud though, not a big deal for a rifle toting sheep hunter though. I recently picked up a pair of Sitka's new Thunderhead Gaiters. They are heavier than my OR ones, but have a quieter face fabric. Probably be what I use for when I am chasing spring bear or in moose camp.

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
Outdoor Research Infinite Guarantee:

"At Outdoor Research, our mission is to provide innovation and inspiration for the relentless adventurer.

Outdoor Research products are Designed By Adventure™ and from this, we deliver the hallmark of all our products – beautiful, functional gear that works and lasts. By placing quality first, we can offer the finest guarantee in the industry for each and every product – the Outdoor Research Infinite Guarantee™.

We believe so strongly in the quality of the apparel and gear we make that if our product fails to meet your needs at any time, we are happy to replace it. Our products are guaranteed forever, and your total satisfaction with our product is our goal.

Though we doubt you’ll ever need it, if you ever have to use our Infinite Guarantee, please see the Warranty Returns section below."

Last pair of gaiters you will ever have to pay for. This is why I like them.

OP
flinginairos
So I ended up with a pair of First Lite Bramblers. I wanted some other stuff from them so I just threw them on the order. I got the large size and they fit me great. I have tested them pretty good already and they work great. Kept my pants dry in really wet grass, only problem was the grass was higher than the gaiters so from knee up I was wet My boots also leaked but that's a different issue altogether lol. While wearing them I don't even know that I have them on. I know all these other options are good as well and I appreciate everyone's input!
4736a56211a5f54c5c325a04557a849f.jpg

afaf378c5221c3e8f04c829403034777.jpg

Beendare

WKR
The best gaiters I've seen or used are the Kuiu or Kennentrek. I haven't used the FL. I also have the OR's...they are loud and don't stay up as well as the first two mentioned.

BTW, those short Kuiu gaiters are pretty sweet for early season

WKR
I've been wearing Kuiu for 3 years and they're by far my favorite gaiters. They fit snug, but not tight and they've held up to a lot of abuse (rocky terrain). Wore through the straps on my old pair of REI gaiters, but the Kuiu seem to be wearing better. I've torn a hole in one but have since repaired it with needle and thread and Aquaseal wader repair sealant and they're still going strong. Have never owned First Lite gaiters but I plan to buy another set of Kuiu when I wear the current ones out.
I don't like gaiters with a strap, I prefer grommets that you can run p cord through. The straps will always wear and fail if you're actually using them in rough country. I like being able to replace the cord.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk