Wheeled cart for longer range?

Elkohalic

FNG
Has anyone tried out wheeled carts similar to the Honey Badger Wheel? Looking for pros/cons on using something like this to pack camp into a remote area and then hopefully get elk out. Currently my partner and I hike in from the perimeter a couple miles and 2000 vert feet up before we drop in. If we had a wheeled cart it would be about a 6 mile trek but it would be on trail. Looking for thoughts on the best way to access this area. The HBW is around $700 so it is a hefty investment..

muddydogs

WKR
6 mile hike pulling a cart up 2000 vertical feet not to mention coming back down? Just think about the work out your legs are going to get pulling 60+ pounds of deadweight up a hill, throw in a few logs and rocks to get over. I for one see no benefit to a wheeled cart in the woods, can't imagine the work out it would be to get it down the trail. I used to push a cart loaded with decoys and a coffin blind down flat gravel dike roads to access waterfowl hunting areas and that was a workout itself.

mtnkid85

WKR
Those carts really seem like a two man operation. One to pull it and the other to balance it.
Ive consider them as well, but they just seem like a potential disaster. Think about what it takes to push a wheel barrow up a smooth plank, then compare that to a mountain trail.

Also fyi you can't use them in wilderness, so if your looking at a particular location thats worth considering.

I've used various types of one-wheeled carts to pack game out. Mostly elk. I've never used one to pack gear in, but it would be a workout for sure. Trying to bring half an elk out downhill on loose ground will make you re-think your decision. An old hunting partner insisted on using one to pack elk. I got sick of the Burning forearms and nearly getting run over in every steep spot. I bought an Exo pack and left game carts (and my hunting partner) being me.

Ive used both a single wheel and a double wheel from Cabelas. There are some areas where they work but they certainly have limitations. They can carry more weight than I can with a backpack but i think you get just as much of a workout. The single wheel in particular was a huge workout on the shoulders and arms as you are constantly fighting balance issues. I do often bring my dual wheel along as a couple areas have good wide trails. But I only use it to pack out meat and for limited areas. So in my situation they have helped some but in pretty limited conditions and I'd personally only use the dual wheeled cart.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
depending on where a person hunts or accesses there are places where these will work (quite well in many instances) and some applications where "NO, NO, NO !!" just screams out at you - not a universal answer, nothing really is .....

OP
E

Elkohalic

FNG
IF I decided to try a cart it would be only on a hiking trail. While it doesn't go up any steep inclines the trail is narrow enough in spots that would prevent a two wheeled cart from being useful. So I am down to single wheeled stuff and those would be a challenge to balance with 150 lbs of meet and gear on it. Im beginning to think it would be more work trying the cart and going the long way around than going straight in and straight out.