Garmin inReach SE+

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
Are any of you guys using the inreach+. I've been debating one buying one, but not sure if I really need one. I have a basic gps and onx maps for my phone. It would be nice to have for the messaging aspect, but the plans seen kind of high. Is it really worth owning one or does my setup seem ok? I am really just wanting it for an upcoming elk hunt any other time my setup works fine.

colonel00

WKR
I love my inReach (older SE model). I don't expect it to do anything other than provide tracking for those watching at home and communication. For actual GPS, I have other devices (phone, watch, standalone GPS). This is why I still have the SE and not the Explorer. Here's a quick story: A month or so ago, I was up on a caribou hunt on the north slope in Alaska. There is no cell signal up there. From the get go, the weather wasn't pleasant and after hiking out across the tundra, the weather turned and dumped a bunch of snow. The next morning wasn't so bad but we were faced with a decision to ride it out or bail (much longer story here). With the inReach, I was able to communicate with people to get some weather forecasts beyond what you can get with the device itself. I can't say that it saved our lives but by bailing back to our base camp, we avoided being stuck in a spike camp with a major snow that hit.

cg2737

WKR
I love my InReach. I have the older explorer model. I only use it for texting, tracking, and weather. It worked flawlessly. I opted for the freedom plan and purchased the explorer package for a month, and the suspended use when I got home. Well worth the money to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely worth the money to have comms when cell service is non-existent. From letting the wife know I'm safe (or changing locations), weather reports, or crap I broke my leg..... won't leave home without mine.

Also used one on a North Slope trip. We were dropped off, plan was to raft out. The InReach worked flawlessly, and we only used it for keeping the significant others at home happy, and an occasional weather report. We did have a few run-ins with bears, and one guy fell into the river. We didn't need an evac, just got him dry and warm, but if we had lost a raft to an accident or bear, it was comforting to know that it was possible to call for help.

On a side note, I was sure I wanted the all-in-one explorer. Both of the ones we used on the trip were the explorer model. They were used as GPS exactly zero times during the 10 day trip. Save the $50, get the SE model, use your existing GPS or phone for that, and put the savings toward a month of unlimited texts.

Additionally, you can program preset messages like "all is ok" or "big bull down" or "i miss you smoopie pie" or whatever, and those preset messages do not count against your plan.

How realistic is it for a near 70 year old dad, who is lucky to operate his iphone at times, to run this system successfully?

colonel00

WKR
How realistic is it for a near 70 year old dad, who is lucky to operate his iphone at times, to run this system successfully?
It's really pretty simple. There's a little to learn but I think playing around with it for an hour at home would get you going. I'd suggest activating you plan before your trip and then do a hike at home to test the tracking, messaging or whatever features you wanted to use.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Stein

FNG
Once set up it is very easy. I have a Delorme and use my phone for gps. They are awesome units and very affordable vs dat phones.

AdamW

WKR
For my first western hunt last year I bought the standard SE and don't ever plan to hunt the backcountry without one. I got it off Amazon and returned it because I found parts were missing from the kit I ordered. Bought an SE+ this year and have not used it much but it will be staying in my gear stable. I like the Freedom plans a lot.

Brianb3

WKR
Had one in the Frank Church. During the fire we had to take an alternate route w stock to get out due to rain n washouts. To get permission we contacted the fire director. Priceless. Not to mention the security of hunting solo and being with inreach!! It’s pretty invaluable if your solo and have kids n wife that expect you home

Don’t leave it to chance

Also just a review. The Bluetooth connect on the iPhone app is pretty epic. No brainer to me

PMcGee

WKR
I bought one for my Alaska trip this year with plans of returning it. After using it for the 15 days we were in I think I'm going to keep it. I have the cheaper one and just used my gps when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
By far the best investment I have made in years for being anywhere there is no cell coverage.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
The Garmin Earthmate app that pairs to the inReach device is awesome too.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
How long does the battery last for you guys that have them?

colonel00

WKR
How long does the battery last for you guys that have them?

Like most things, depends on how you use it. I usually have it tracking and send a few messages a day. Lasts me 3 days or so before I want to recharge it to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Definitely worth it. I think about other situations too like after Irma knocked the cell service out in the Florida keys and you couldn't contact anyone for days.. wouldnt be an issue with an inreach.