Benchmade Bugout Knife.

boom

WKR
i want one.

less than two ounces. axis lock and everything. it is crazy blue colored, but WTF..i like blue. i handled one and it is damn light!! super sharp..typical benchmade. my local store is expensive..i'm waiting for them to restock online.

wife and i are planning a Machu picchu hike next July, and i am trying to parlay that into a new light knife for myself. anyone have one..a review?

benchmade-535-bugout-blue-s30v-1__13291.1501257385.730.500.jpg

AlaskaEd

WKR
Looks like a real nice lightweight knife. Benchmade is what started my obsession with high quality knives. I pretty much always have one in my pocket. Easily my favorite all-around knife maker.

Dobermann

WKR
I hate blue. But I like Benchmade, findable in grass, and light. Also curious about real-world experience on this puppy!

rbljack

WKR
Looks like a real nice lightweight knife. Benchmade is what started my obsession with high quality knives. I pretty much always have one in my pocket. Easily my favorite all-around knife maker.

yeah same here. I like blue, so its a perfect fit for me. At 1.85 ounces, that is nice and light too. Combined with a havalon, that is a lightweight set up for a 2 knife option. I was looking at the Benchmade Hidden Canyon which is 3.85 oz, and has a shorter blade in a full tang, but this lighter option might be better as an all around carry knife as well.

hey, who needs a reason for a new knife? haha
but shoot me a PM if you have any machu picchu questions..I did it a few years ago, you'll have a blast!

colersu22

WKR
Anyone pick one of these up yet? It is hard to find a review that isn't just an unboxing or some guy cutting cardboard.

OP
B

boom

WKR
Anyone pick one of these up yet? It is hard to find a review that isn't just an unboxing or some guy cutting cardboard.

HAHAHA..

i did get one. i carried it for a long while, but my SAK w/beer bottle opener seems to ride shotgun in the front pocket more often than not.

i weighed it on a scale. mine is exactly 1.85 ounce. it is a featherweight. if you flex the blade, it barely moves which is surprising since there are no liners. the steel is amazing. i bought mine used. it needed a touch up. i used a simple diamond plate thing..(DMT butterfly opening thing) and put the craziest edge on it. the thing is stupid sharp now. for me, the thing is the perfect size. i used it daily from cutting bagels to avocados for my lunch salad. the thinner blade is a nice change from all the other thicker knives i have. it is a slicer!! it is super smooth opening. the blade is a bit light, so it doesnt flip closed as easily as it whips open. (if that makes any sense) i have a few axis lock knives and i never use the thumb stud. i just flip it open and closed. with this knife, somehow i just feel the need to use the thumb stud..(maybe cuz i'm older and in less of a hurry, or i have gotten so used to my SwissArmyKnife). oh, i dont love pocket clips, so i typically just drop it into my pocket. i hate slowly tearing up the edge of my pockets pulling a knife on/off. i seem to only wear Prana Zions now..and i dont know how robust that fabric is to that usage. Jeans? all my older jeans are ragged where i carried my knives.

this knife will be my go-to travel blade. i am heading to Peru and it will be with me. i missed the opportunity to use it last weekend to clean bunnies. i forgot it, and only had my old (razor sharp) buck 112 with me.

to be honest, i am DONE buying knives. i have more than i can use in a lifetime. i gave away two benchmades two weeks ago. my knife drawer is retarded..it is blowing out the seams. this Bugout is the only knife in a long time to get me to buy one again..i wanted it for a backpack knife..on those trips where i dont expect to gut an animal, but cutting cordage, opening a food package..cleaning the occasional trout is the norm. i think it is perfect for that.

and i like the blue. it is easy to see.

colersu22

WKR
I did see people complaining about how much flex there is in the scales, have you noticed anything negative boom? I did see a guy on eBay makes carbon scales and the reviews on those looked pretty good but not sure I want to drop $90 on new scales.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I did see people complaining about how much flex there is in the scales, have you noticed anything negative boom? I did see a guy on eBay makes carbon scales and the reviews on those looked pretty good but not sure I want to drop $90 on new scales.

there is some flex. it isnt alarming tho. you just know you cant hammer it thru a tree branch with a blunt stick. using it as a knife only, it is damn near perfectly fine.

for example: i get pretty sloppy cutting thru a deer/elk leg joint. i wrestle with it some..usually the first few cuts are 1.5" to high..then when i do find the joint, i twist and cut a bit. i wouldnt use the bugout. i have seen a rancher do it with a Case tiny ass pocket knife..he made it look effortless since he doesnt fight it like i do. he could use the bugout. :)