Best pack saw

oldgoat

WKR
I like my Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw real well! Very sturdy and solid and folds down well for packing, not too bad weight wide either!

colonel00

WKR
I wish someone would start making the Sawvivor again. I have one and would buy more if I could.

I wouldn't trusts those chainsaw things. I've seen a few videos where they seem to bind up.

I think a lot of people like the Sven saw

OP
Lukeyn

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
The Bob dustrude seems like Gerber copied it's design

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Silky saws are awesome, lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have used a large Wyoming saw for a few years now. It's cut lots of trees and moose skull caps/leg bones. They come with both a bone and a wood blade. I had a small one, but it was too small. I also use a basic Kershaw folding saw when I have a wood stove. I could get by without it, but it's just too light and easy to use for simple small sawing.

I don't have one, but I've been eyeballing the Nordic pocket saw on Massdrop for a while. It's basically a chainsaw chain with grab handles on each end.

I tend toward saws from Silky and ARS. I've got several and can attest to how rapidly and easily they will cut dry (as in harder) wood. Most any saw will make progress in green wood (as in pruning limbs, etc) but it takes the right blade to buzz through cured resinous woods of 4-6" diameter. My favorite fast-cutter is a Silky Gomtaro Pro Sentei 300mm (12") blade. It doesn't fold. Has a superb grip and it WILL outperform any saw in its class that I've ever tried. When I have to cut lots...and fast...it's the saw I'm taking.

I also often use a Silky Gomboy 240mm with interchangeable blades. A fine tooth blade will cap a moose skull without struggle, while the regular blade is great for dry or green wood. It's a folder. I wish it weighed 4 ounces less.

By the way, you can purchase the blade only in the Pro Sentei mentioned above. It's a full tang blade which means you unrelenting superlight guys could take the blade and fashion your own lightweight grips or scales and a scabbard.

ACC

FNG
+1 on the Silky Gomtaro Pro Sentei 300mm, used it on an elk this year in New Mexico and it worked even better than I expected. Very little effort to remove the skull cap as it's very sharp.

Used Paracord to wrap the handle part of the blade and cut down a plastic blade protector from another saw that I taped to the blade so it wouldn't chew up my pack it's that sharp.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a Boreal 21 from Agawa Canyon. I understand it to be a Dustrude knockoff, but I liked the design and blade selection better. We will see when it gets here.

Stein

FNG
I have the Outdoor Edge folding saw. Works fine but I can’t get too excited, it’s a saw.

The Bahco Laplander also has a good following among the bushcrafty guys.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the Bob Dustrude as well. Went backpacking recently and my buddy had a Sven. It worked quite well.

[video=youtube;AUDTB4xfLJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDTB4xfLJY[/video]

adamm88

WKR
I have a baco Laplander that i have used and abused for years and it still cuts like a champ.

I went out to set up ground blinds with my Nephew last year for rifle season and had this saw with me, Hes in boy scouts and was using it to trim trees, His response was woo this works great.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Agawa Canyon Boreal 21; it is the best pack saw I have used. Like the hunter blade for bone cutting when processing deer as well.