Note Taking Gear

frankrb3

WKR
Who takes writing gear with them in the field and what do you like to write down? Also what gear do you use (Field notes, write in the rain, map pens, pencil)?

Lately I have been taking a single sheet of write in the rain paper and a black map pen. I mostly day hunt, but I would like to journal more about my hunts. Seems like something cool happens everytime I go out and I'd like to be able to reflect back on these years when my knees can no longer take me up the mountain.

ChrisS

WKR
3x5 rite in the rain pad and a stubby pencil that I tuck in the spiral.

I started recording everything I could during hunts about three years ago (weather, time, animals seen, wind, mood, anything I felt important). My pad was almost 3/4 full. I left it on the coffee table after a hunt a couple of weeks ago after reviewing it - the next morning the only thing left was half of the plastic cover and the spiral. The dog was shitting rite in the rain paper and little bits of yellow plastic for the next couple of days.

3x5 RITR spiral. I use a clicky RITR black pen and a staedtler lumocolor permanent marker in a different color (red or green). The permanent marker doesn't work well in the rain, but it's handy to have a different color to make distinctions in notes/drawings.

Notes consist of anything from observations while out, TODO list's for gear (example - add more cordage/ibuprofen to kit since I used a lot this trip), questions I have while out, and sometimes random stuff I realize I need to do when back at home :)

Last edited:

Akicita

WKR
Write in the rain note pad and carpenters pencil. I like the bigger pencil to write with gloves on or when my hands are cold.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I use the expedition Field Notes and a rite in the rain pen or a regular pencil

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hard to beat the rite in the rain stuff. I used them for decades going back to .mil days. If you use anything else you have to protect it from humidity as well as precipitation. Over the years I have had a few moleskins go all crinkly on me when exposed to damp for a few days. Switched back to rite in the rain. Fischer space pens are also my standby. I keep a few sheets of rite in the rain and a space pen in my chest rig.

Dobermann

WKR
For an ultralight field pen option, Fisher's 'Stowaway' pen is fantastic - tiny, reliable, and weighs next to nothing.

Fits in the back panel of an AGC harness with a Rite in the Rain notebook, and neither are particularly affected by rain or sweat.