So, I bought a woobie

WKR
My old woobie is at least 25 years old. Still in heavy rotation, especially on the couch during those cold winter nights watching a movie. Probably has over a thousand Backcountry miles on it... Getting kinda thin.

So I ordered one of the newer ones. Thicker and with a zipper. Says 2.2 lbs but feels half that. Bully cause it's new and not packed in yet but I figure that won't last too long.

Will take it with me on every rifle hunt this season and report back at the end. Right now sitting under it watching a movie with Mrs406 and it's definitely warmer than my old faithful. Hopefully this will keep me glassing longer and serve as a shtf cocoon if I get stuck out this season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, keep us posted, those are a glasser‘s dream. Way under utilized by most of us. Been thinking I need to buy one since Rokslide started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an old issues one my wife added a fleece blanket to it that I've used for several years now. It's heavy and packs like a basket ball. I always say I'm going to get a new one from Kifaru.....

OP

WKR
This thing was $50 off Amazon, new in wrapper.
"LINER, WET WEATHER PONCHO"
Same green label as my old one. Definitely the newer thicker version. The zipper is nice, even has a bit of a baffled, not too loud.

I think I want to make a light WP tarp with a couple grommets to tie it into like you would with the poncho, just lighter and no hood/neck hole that I'd never use. That would be all kinds of handy with little wt gain.

I'm like a kid with a new toy right now. Really digging it. Have my old one out too and keep comparing them.
Only downside I see is it's pretty slippery material. I guess that's one of the "improvements" kifaru made with their design.

Already pretty happy with the purchase.

I made one out of climashield. Great piece of ear. Light, WARM. Packable. Even put blaze on one side. I use it as a booster for my quilt, as a blanket to huddle under while hunting, around camp after dark when lounging, etc..... It totally replaces an outer insulation layer for both legs and top, as a much lighter, compact package. Serves as a much better bag liner, etc... It is just a great multiple use piece of gear. God Bless

OP

WKR
I made one out of climashield. Great piece of ear. Light, WARM. Packable. Even put blaze on one side. I use it as a booster for my quilt, as a blanket to huddle under while hunting, around camp after dark when lounging, etc..... It totally replaces an outer insulation layer for both legs and top, as a much lighter, compact package. Serves as a much better bag liner, etc... It is just a great multiple use piece of gear. God Bless
Thought about making one and still might this winter, my old one is pretty popular with the Mrs but she's not super into camo as home decor (relationships ARE a compromise at times). Maybe I'll whip up a classy one for her. Maybe I'll just make a beefier digicam one and enter it into the how to start a fight with your wife thread :)

I bought the Kifaru version a couple of years back when I retired my army issue to truck duty. Great piece of kit. Mine lived in a trash bag inside the top flap of my ALICE pack for years so it was close at had.

Now I sometimes don't take t when backpacking due to it being a relatively heavy items compared to a 3 lb sleeping bag or something. It does get used on the occasional blind or tree stand sit and for sitting around camp. It is a blessing when you are static for a while.

I don't know about the new issue ones but I plan to have my Kifaru for a long time.

Tsnider

WKR
just ordered one monday from Kifaru. going along with my buddy for his rifle hunt in november, mostly wanted it for glassing and for putting over my big agnes pad. not the biggest fan of laying directly on a pad. the one downfall of a quilt.