Stove fuel

I have a MSR Reactor. Are there any differences in fuel brands? Has anyone run any tests to see if a certain brand performs better then another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there is difference based on blend levels that impact performance. I have seen a comparison on camp stove reviews. Trying to find link.

oldgoat

WKR
Heck some fuel I bought that I thought must not be that good because of the price actually looks pretty good now according to that article!

OP
Jake Leibke

Owenst7

WKR
I buy MSR IsoPro because they have the highest ratio of propane that I have found available to me locally. (80/20)
MSR(R) IsopPro™ fuel canister

Snow Peak is a close second at (85/15)
GigaPower Fuel 110 Gold – Snow Peak

I've never been able to find an officially written statement from Jetboil, so I assume the worst until they provide information otherwise. Other brands I have available in my local stores have less propane or mostly butane (vs isobutane), so I don't bother with them due to poor performance in cold temperatures. Actually, my feelings are that only time canister stoves offer anything but awful performance is when it's warm enough that an alcohol stove trumps it on weight, but that's a different discussion haha. I'm not a fan of canister stoves.

This is a good article that uses verifiable statements and scientific discussion. Adventures In Stoving: What's the Best Brand of Gas for Cold Weather?

Another thing that may be of consideration to a person is that some brands have heavier canisters than others. I think Snow Peak cans are some of the lightest. I'd probably use them in the summer if I didn't use alcohol stoves during the warmer months.

This hunt I just returned from was down in the high teens at night sometimes. Waking up at 3-4 am and trying to make oatmeal/coffee left me wishing I had just brought my Svea. My Sveas (I have four lol) plus 3 days of fuel for me only weigh 23 ounces, and those stoves will churn out some serious heat even well below 0 degrees.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR

Good topic OP...and excellent link Strato.

I've gone to the MSR exclusively after researching the dreaded canister fade I experienced on an elk hunt at 11,000' in Co along the continental divide about 10 yrs ago. 20 deg temps- in the "early" season no less. Up until then I didn't realize there was a difference in the canisters. Now I go for high % of Isobutane.

Squeezing these frozen canisters between your legs is a poor option. We had the benefit of a UL wood stove on that hunt to cook on and warm the canister. Also if you notice the bottom of these canisters will condensate and freeze remaining fuel in less than freezing temps.

Though not mentioned in those links, a windscreen helps these canister stoves immensely- IMO a must have at high elevation or cold temps.

Last edited:
I've got 3 extended trips on my Primus ETA cartridge stove. I've burned MSR and Jetboil fuel with great results. Usually the coldest temps I wake to are 20F, but there's the odd chance of going 10+ degrees colder. No real issues with fuel pressure on these hunts. I'm able to run over 10 days on a single 8 oz canister, and that includes heating water for shaves and hair washes. I suppose if I ever run too low on pressure I'll either swap to a full canister or take the time to warm my canister. I much prefer a remote canister setup which allows me to invert the canister and get much improved fuel output on cold mornings. I can even hold the frosted canister above my pan of (heating) water and improve the pressure if I want.

fwiw: Primus does make a Winter Gas canister. Uniquely enough, it is NOT a different formulation. It is a canister with a special internal paper element which provides much additional surface for the gas fuel to vaporize from. Cold weather performance is enhanced without requiring a special fuel mix.

I've been using the Coleman mix with great success into the teens over the last few years. However, I used a straight butane mix this year early bear season and at 32 degrees, it wouldn't burn well for long. I could put in my my jacket and warm it up but, after it burned for a couple minutes, it'd get so faint it wouldn't perk coffee or boil. God Bless

1signguy

WKR
With the titanium wood stove in the tipi I no longer worry about canister fuel. :) All the canisters seem to burn beautifully at 70 degrees. For many years I ran a Whisper when temp/elevation were a concern with regards to fuel. Now my only question is do I take the wood stove or not...

With the titanium wood stove in the tipi I no longer worry about canister fuel. :) All the canisters seem to burn beautifully at 70 degrees. For many years I ran a Whisper when temp/elevation were a concern with regards to fuel. Now my only question is do I take the wood stove or not...

I can get behind this strategy. In my case I never take the time to fire up the woodstove in the morning ahead of breakfast and hunting. I just get up, get dressed and start cooking. My gas canister is working from ambient temps. I don't really worry about gas performance anymore. It's been a non-issue for me.