I need a new stove. Which one?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in need of a new stove. It will primarily be used to boil water for dehydrated meals and the occasional hot chocolate. Which one should I grab? I looked at the Jetboil's, MSR's and primus. I do not want to spend a ton of money (less than $100.00) but would like to stay closer to $50.00. What has worked for you guys?
Thanks,

Been using my jetboil sol for 3-4 seasons now. No complaints so far. Since I don’t ever plan to met snow the jetboil should last me for quite some time. If I ever come upon a need to melt snow I’ll look for an MSR Reactor.

frankrb3

WKR
I'd look at the MSR Pocket Rocket 2. Pretty bombproof little stoves. Also, check out the Primus Lite +. It uses a vessel like the jetboil but you can also use other pots on it.

Grumman

WKR
The one thing I don’t like about the Jetboils is the lack of a handle. I prefer the MSR reactor or similar stove and pot setups with handles to keep my hands well clear of the boiling water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious, but why won't the sol melt snow?

If I remember correctly it has something to do with the prolonged heat and the tiny fin configuration on the bottom of the cup. It wasn’t designed to handle the heat required to melt snow, just boil water from a liquid state. Somebody much smarter or with a better memory might chime in and help me out.

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks guys, I had never heard about not melting snow in a jetboil sol before. I really do not plan on doing that, but good to know that I can't.

RANGER3BN

FNG
I just picked up an Optimus Crux on eBay for $35 with shipping. I chose it because it folds down and fits into the cavity at the bottom of your gas cartridge. Pair it with a Toaks 750ml titanium pot and boom...ur right around $50 and under 7oz. for the pair. Plus the gas canister and burner nestle into the pot which is only 4.5 inches tall. You can go even smaller and "lighter" with the 550ml or 650 ml pots.

GKPrice

Banned
stove brands and styles come and go over time - If talking about a wall tent stove go rectangular and a size bigger than you "think" is needed to account for drafts and air volume to heat - up off the ground will give more overall heat but the old bottomless rectangulars built a nice cozy fire
Haven't had a lot of experience with tipi or small tent heating, can't offer anything there

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 and Evernew Ti Ultralight Deep Pot 600ml cup/ pot.

Fuel, stove, bic, and matches nest in the pot. All of this is 15.x oz. Under 1 lbs.

GKPrice

Banned
stove brands and styles come and go over time - If talking about a wall tent stove go rectangular and a size bigger than you "think" is needed to account for drafts and air volume to heat - up off the ground will give more overall heat but the old bottomless rectangulars built a nice cozy fire
Haven't had a lot of experience with tipi or small tent heating, can't offer anything there

(guess I should read the ENTIRE thread ......)

Cheapo but, it works great.

I've been using one of these of the last three years or so. I don't back country hunt as much as some of you but, I carry one during winter time while working in the woods and, for making a hot lunch out of the truck. So, I've put a bunch of fuel through my first one and its still going STRONG. I've bought a half dozen more for gifts and so far all of those have performed exceptional as well. Boils 8 ounces of cold water in about 2.5-3 minutes just putting around. I find no need to turn it higher but, it goes a lot higher. I've cooked with 8 inch pans on it with zero problems and long waits. It'll fry taters and deer meat with ease. Quicker than a coleman two burner even. God Bless

Ultralight Backpacking Gas Butane Propane Canister Outdoor Camp Stove Burner | eBay

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Used my Kovea Spider for the first time this season and really liked it. I wanted the convenience of a canister stove with the ability to use it even if it got really cold. Supposedly the remote canister setup allows you to do that by inverting the canister. I haven’t had to try that, but the built in regulator to turn up/down the flame was also really nice. And I got mine for a bit under $50 on sale.

Jeremy

Owenst7

WKR
The snow peak stoves are made by Kovea.

Really like my $30 Kovea Supalite that's under 2 ounces. Same stove as a Snow Peak Litemax.

I will throw in a vote for the msr pocket rocket 2.

after 20 years of msr whisper lites I am a believer. 3 trips in and I would not go back to a white gas stove unless I was going somewhere that I thought I couldn't get canisters.

Pocket rocket is $44 at rei.