Dirty spork

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm probably in the minority here, but when my spork is dirty after a mountain house it drives me nuts. I've tried staying away from cheese since it seems to stick better than any adhesive known to man, but other than that what do you do? Anybody carry something to clean up with?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I usually have a little scrubber pad. Not for my spork but I had it for if I ever actually cooked in the pot. Just get one of these from Walmart or the Dollar store and cut a little piece to carry.

754880aa-f73c-436f-b03a-8436e016acb2_1.e8409ccc5ee4e063165b9c3a75773135.jpeg

Most stuff cleans up with just water. But MH spaghetti, chili mac and lasagna leave a red oily film that is hard to remove without soap. Water just doesn't touch it. However, a dry cotton bandana does a pretty good job getting that red grease off the utensils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
Buncha nancys

I was thinking the same thing myself! lol. This comment not directed at the OP but I read some questions and comments on here and AT and chuckle. In full canter, I'm sure some of my questions and comments have led to the same chuckle for others.

MIKEYB

WKR
I'm usually so hungry that not a spec is left on my spoon. Let your mouth keep it clean while you eat. Otherwise a piece of wet wipe, cloth or scotchbrite like cononel00 has above.

Owenst7

WKR
I only had this issue with plastic. I broke my last Light My Fire spork on this last trip (it was new, never used!) So I'll be going back to metal. I just abrade them in sand, a rock, whatever is around. Dropping them in your water while you boil is a good way to clean and sterilize them.

Light my fire is garbage. I don't know why backpackers like that junk. They didn't even handle the mild heat of flipping a trout quickly on my alcohol stove.

Shrek

WKR
I use a ti long spoon and clean it with dirt then wipe it with a wet wipe. Sanitize with the stove or fire. Even if there's a little MH cheese still stuck to it the fire will kill any bacteria.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
It's called your mouth. Nobody in their right mind shares sporks with other than their spouse, so what's the issue? Dishwasher when you get home.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Most stuff cleans up with just water. But MH spaghetti, chili mac and lasagna leave a red oily film that is hard to remove without soap. Water just doesn't touch it. However, a dry cotton bandana does a pretty good job getting that red grease off the utensils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything here is true, although the other suggestions are better. I just wanted to note a warning that using your clothing to clean food and other smellables is looking for trouble. Deadly trouble in bear country and nuisance trouble in raccoon/squirrel/other small animal country. Bears will tear through anything looking for something if it smells interesting to them, and I have a nice backpack with a couple of holes chewed through a pocket when a raccoon wanted to get to some snacks I had opened and forgot to hang in a tree/bear bag.

Larry

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I knew I would catch $hit for this, just had to ask. It drives me crazy. Looks like a bit of a scratch pad is my next solution.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I used my knife, flicked em off til they were so tiny even the chipmunks didn't bother trying get a free meal.

MattB

WKR
Dealing with mountain house cheese is easy. But what if there is mud or bugs?