Cheap Tent for Truck Camping

I spent a few nights in the back seat of my truck this season, and have vowed to never do that again. I'm contemplating pulling the camper for the next trip, but would rather take a little tent in hopes of making it a quick trip. Does anyone have experience with this tent? Found it on amazon for $99. I could set up the LBO and use the stove, but I figured this would be a little easier since I won't be packing in.

Amazon.com : 4-season 2-person Waterproof Dome Backpacking Tent For Camping Hiking Travel Climbing - Easy Set Up (Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

gumbl3

WKR
If you're camping at the truck, I would want something big enough to put an extra wide cot in. I sleep on the ground when I have to, but I wouldn't call it restful.

If you're camping at the truck, I would want something big enough to put an extra wide cot in. I sleep on the ground when I have to, but I wouldn't call it restful.

Building on that theme, I have one of these I bought for Cub Scout camping.

Amazon.com : Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent and Coleman Tent Kit : Sports & Outdoors

I don’t spend enough time in the woods to own a large floorless or wall tent. This cheapie Coleman has made me the envy of my crew on a couple of truck hunts. Room for Cots and standing to change. It will shed some rain and You can add a rain fly to help but if things got really bad I would rig a tarp over it or bolt for the truck.

NPO_Aaron

FNG
I have a Clam hub insulated ice house that doubles as a pretty awesome truck camping base. stays real warm, can ventilator if necessary, 8'x8' has plenty of room for sleeping and living.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
When alone get a cap and sleep in the truck, mobile, dry, nothing to put up or take down, and no trailer to pull. Can build a nice bed, and store your gear.

Building on that theme, I have one of these I bought for Cub Scout camping.

Amazon.com : Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin Tent and Coleman Tent Kit : Sports & Outdoors

I don’t spend enough time in the woods to own a large floorless or wall tent. This cheapie Coleman has made me the envy of my crew on a couple of truck hunts. Room for Cots and standing to change. It will shed some rain and You can add a rain fly to help but if things got really bad I would rig a tarp over it or bolt for the truck.
I use the same tent and echo what desk jockey said.

Ideally, for just me, I would use my truck; however I can't get comfortable in my Tacoma 5 foot bed with a camper shell. I'm too tall at 5-9, even sideways. I've never felt too tall except in that situation.

The other options mentioned look nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
An 8 person Coleman dome tent would be hard to beat for what you want. Super easy to set up and roomy.

colersu22

WKR
If I am not packing in and am right at the truck I take my big angus big house 4, It is nice to have all the room and be able to stand up and get dressed vs using my Cimarron or DST tarp.

One of the Ozark Trail cabin tents. I bought the 8 man at Wal-Mart 2 years ago for truck camping. Its been through 2 elks hunts and about 30 other days of camping. Has held up great, even in heavy rains and several inches of snow. I can set it up in 5 minutes by myself. You can find them on sale at Wal-Mart this time of year for $80-90.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Ill second a coleman 8 man. Easy set up and take down solo and tons of room.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk