New hunting knife recommendations

Titan

WKR
Huge fan of Spyderco knives. But only the ones made in Golden, CO. The price will make it obvious which ones are from overseas vs USA.

Been using the Bill Moran fixed blade for a while and it is a great knife. Can't find any faults with it.

Owenst7

WKR
This man speaks truth... lol
IV6QQuO.jpg

No better knife value then a Mora - can even order from the guys at baryonyx at get a FFG mora! :)
mWnzKaw.jpg

The Companion is the knife I use when I don't just carry my Havalon (I carry just a Havalon on backpack hunts). I prefer a Havalon for field dressing because the blade is so small, and I can do a much cleaner job of shaving off backstraps with no meat left behind. I like the handle on the Mora when I'm processing at home or at base camp because I can grip it well when my hands are wet. It doesn't have nooks and crannies to hold bacteria like a traditional wood handled knife does. Since it's plastic, I just toss the whole knife and sheath in a pot of boiling water and the gunk just falls off of it.

Moras are very sharp and very durable. There's a reason they are a standard for commercial fishermen. They have a few knives with fillet blades that I've wanted to try but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd throw in a dirt cheap Rapala also, because they are the best knife I've used for removing silverskin and tendon with precision without tearing up the muscle. They don't hold an edge forever, but they will take a very sharp edge extremely quickly. Just like the Havalon, the tiny blade they have allows me to use them with precision to carefully peel muscle away.

I've got 100-some-odd dollar custom knives that were given to me. I've yet to use them for anything other than display/showing to friends. They're cool to look at, but I haven't seen them be more effective at butchering an animal. Every person I've known that cuts up flesh for a living, from surgeons to chefs, use some form of boring, utilitarian blade that is practical to clean/sharpen/replace.

Last edited:

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
The knife I’ve used the last two years is a fixed blade I made out of 80CRV2 carbon steel. So far, I’m rewlly liking it. Cut up two deer with it and all that’s been done afterwards is some swipes on the kitchen steel. The steel takes a very nice edge and retains it well with the bonus of being pretty friendly to sharpen. And for a carbon steel, I’ve noticed it doesn’t seem to patina/again as easily as some 1084 ones I’ve made in the past. Good luck on your quest-you can never have too many knives ;).

Jeremy

I've used those Mora's and you can't find anything better for the money. But dear God the stainless ones are a pain to sharpen. I never tried the carbon so maybe I'm missing out.

RCL

WKR
Another Mora fan here.
I use them and also gift them to customers and ranch hands all over Oklahoma and Kansas. All have reported that they can't believe how well they work.
They are a true bargain for the price.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in my 2 cents.
Many of the customs mentioned will do an awesome job I'm sure but if you want to stay on the lighter end of the spectrum I've been pleased with my Kestrel Ovis Hunter. It boned out an elk and I didn't really need to sharpen it but out of habit I took it to the diamond card for a couple swipes before doing the second half. For weighing almost nothing I kinda like it! The next on my list is a lot tougher and made from D2 steel. It made it through a couple coues and an elk before sharpening. Jantz supply sells them under their Jantz pattern blades #45. It is thick enough to do some real work and still be fairly light.

I own a few full handle custom knives and while they are awesome for many purposes these are the two lightest fixed blades I have found that will break down an elk easily. I carry a scalpel and a couple blades also but just don't feel right without a decent size fixed blade in the pack.

Keep the pics coming guys, great knives come in so many shapes and materials its great to see all the different variations!
20170913_151210.jpg

And I'll be honest enough to admit I rarely haul an expensive custom knife into the woods for rough and regular use. Two of my favorites for animal duties are the Spyderco Bill Moran fixed blade and the Cutco 5718 with DD edge. Both of these are workaholic type knives and they get the job done with less fatigue. I'm just as critical of grip comfort and utility as of the blade quality. If I'll be working up a really big animal for hours I want my hand to love the grip. I don't care what it looks like when it's covered in blood or gore. I honestly think the Cutco DD edge outperforms every other single knife I've ever used on large game in many decades. It's simply amazing how much effort it saves when butchering a moose or caribou.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I keep buying knives trying to find the perfect one but I still find myself carrying my mora companion. I keep it in a leather sheath that came with another knife. I like leather for belt carry because it is quiet.

Owenst7

WKR
I'll throw in my 2 cents.
Many of the customs mentioned will do an awesome job I'm sure but if you want to stay on the lighter end of the spectrum I've been pleased with my Kestrel Ovis Hunter. It boned out an elk and I didn't really need to sharpen it but out of habit I took it to the diamond card for a couple swipes before doing the second half. For weighing almost nothing I kinda like it! The next on my list is a lot tougher and made from D2 steel. It made it through a couple coues and an elk before sharpening. Jantz supply sells them under their Jantz pattern blades #45. It is thick enough to do some real work and still be fairly light.

I own a few full handle custom knives and while they are awesome for many purposes these are the two lightest fixed blades I have found that will break down an elk easily. I carry a scalpel and a couple blades also but just don't feel right without a decent size fixed blade in the pack.

Keep the pics coming guys, great knives come in so many shapes and materials its great to see all the different variations!
20170913_151210.jpg

How much does that Jantz #45 weigh (assuming that's what's pictured)?

Totally geeking out on cutting more weight from my kill kit haha.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help but jump in. I'm a big fan of Battle Horse Knives. Great product, great people. But those Moras though...On another note, the edge pro sharpening system has been a game changer for sharpening.

I bought an Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf about 6-7 years ago. It's D2 steel and it really holds an edge well. I didn't think I would like the thin rubber handle at first but after using it I like it a lot. It's a tool, I use it to field dress, skin and quarter, cutting joints, neck etc. I can do a couple of deer before I think it needs a touch up. I use a croc stick and after a dozen or so strokes on each side it'll shave hair again. I think I paid around 80.00 for it, not sure of the current price.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
[video=youtube;iQrLPtr_ikE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQrLPtr_ikE[/video]

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Mora Bushcraft Forrest and a Mora Companion are what I usually have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
More pictures.

Here's a bark river huntsman, got it last year and it's been through a good handful of deer now. Little thick, but the full height convex grind makes for a razor blade. A2 is very easy to touch up, and get scary sharp, holds and edge well and is tough. Looks big in the picture but it's got a 3 and a quarter inch blade.
hahqkf6.jpg

Here's a custom I just had made by red rock tool in South Dakota. Fiancé and I spent some time looking for shed antlers this spring, decided one would make a good knife handle. The handle of this knife is a mule deer shed found by us on a trip west. A2 forged steel, with a more rustic look. Should make for a good worker. Not ultra lite, but something special, not to mention scary sharp. The knife is indexexed to my hand, the way the antler curves, neat setup. Guy makes one hell of a knife, have a couple fillet knives by him.
oOElwqV.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Shopping is part of the fun.

964c8dbd4e177cb5717709b2df7c8d6f.jpg

This the the old Kershaw folder. It’s been a good knife and will get through an elk.

086702079655c1e7053300c264f4a82e.jpg

The Puma is very comfortable in my hand, but more of a skinner profile.

Here’s one that won’t leave the house, a gift from my dad. A Kershaw RMEF limited edition.
68d3b34573ee0133c6244622902da857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Worth mentioning, bark river knives are made in escanaba mi not too far from me. If buying US is something your interested in. As you see it's easy to go crazy.

In my opinion A2 steel is where it's at, if you don't mind giving up corrosion resistance.