Anyone using the KDC tripod conversion with the snipepod?

I am going to order a V2 Snipepod and wondering how people like using the tripod conversion. Did you need the optics balance adjuster?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Robby did a review of the KDC bipod and 3L conversion, and granite gear tripod.

KDC Ultralight SnipePod & Granite Peak Tripod Review - Rokslide

I've got the Snipepod, but haven't pulled the trigger on the 3L conversion yet. I contacted KDC wondering about a minimalist panning handle, and Terry replied that the OBA actually functions pretty well for the purpose, so I'd be tempted to get it if for no other reason than that. He sent this pic for explanation:

I9ib3lm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I9ib3lm.jpg

If you do get the 3L I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. It'd be almost $200 USD by the time I add in shoe, feet, OBA etc, so I'm a little hesitant.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
I have the Snipepod and the Granite Peak but can’t speak to the conversion leg. I will say the optics balancer is fantastic though. Especially if you mount a DSLR with a longer lens on the tripod. It really helps stabilize it and reduces the amount of tension you need on the ball to hold it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I've used the Snipepod for a few years and think it's been worth every penny. I keep it in my belt pocket unless I'm sitting. I highly recommend it but it is different then a Harris in that you will not be as solid but once you get used to it it is plenty steady just don't preload it like you would a Harris with pressure.

I have not used the tripod conversion.

OP
MuleyFever
After going over the website again I am wondering if I shouldn't just get the V2 and the Granite Peak instead of the conversion. Its only a $25 difference to get the separate tripod and it may just be nice to have them both.

Grumman

WKR
I think you would get more use out of having both of them. I just leave my Snipepod mounted to a rifle and the tripod in the truck throughout the year for quick use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Snipe Pod is a great piece of gear. I’ve never tried glassing without the optics balancer; whatever it costs it is handy as heck. I’ve got an original, a V2 with the conversation leg, and a Granite Peak Tripod.

OP
MuleyFever
Ended up getting the snipepod and separate tripod. I just envision having my optics on the bipod conversion when an animal shows up and scrambling to get the thigh transferred back to my gun while the animal moves on by. This way I'm always ready and the weight is so minimal its not a concern.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
What length did you go with for the Granite Peak? My Snipepod is the 30"(I think), but I do wonder if that might be a bit short in a tripod setup. The 43" granite peak might be tempting.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives. A lighter and more compact tripod is pretty high on the list for next season, but I'm not 100% sold on the KDC setups versus something more traditional.

What optics will you be running on it?

OP
MuleyFever
I got the 33". I went with that only because that is the size Robby reviewed and he didn't say anything negative about it. I will be using a 50mm Vortex on it.

OP
MuleyFever
Thanks Robby, I'll check it out. I have a late Elk tag so it will get tested well in the coming weeks.

OP
MuleyFever
Got the tripod and bipod today. They will definitely take some getting used to but I think I will appreciate the weight savings.

dotman

WKR
Yeah you have to get used to it not being on the rifle but you'll get past that fast.