Outdoor Edge Razor Lite "Getting Stuck" Question

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
Thanks for the tip muddydogs. I'll try that out hopefully given the chance this week. I carry a fixed blade in my possibles pouch, a leather-man in my survival kit, and a knife in my survival kit. So if something did happen I think I'd be okay.

If he pulled out and away sounds like a havalon type knife not the out door edge

Mine just pulls straight away

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
It is an outdoor edge. I got it a few years ago when I renewed my subscription to Eastman's. My degree is in mathematics, but I can read.

mcseal2

WKR
I went to a Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade knife after trying the Havalon and Outdoor Edge. It's an older knife made in the 80's and 90's. I remembered one of the older guys who got me started hunting having one. I picked up the knife and a few extra blades off Ebay so I can have the strength of a regular blade, and still easily swap to a fresh, sharp, blade when I dull one and sharpen things up at home. The knife with the drop point utility blade in it and a spare hunter and gut hook/skinner blade in a minimal Gerber pouch sheath is 5oz. Not as light as a Havalon or Outdoor Edge, but lighter than the Havalon or Outdoor Edge and fixed blade I used to carry since I didn't trust having only a replaceable blade knife. The sheath it comes with has a metal insert for the extra blades and is heavier than the one I use. It has a bone saw blade if that's needed but I seldom pack it. I use the utility blade for camp work and always have the two sharp hunting blades if I get game down.

Darn things aren't cheap anymore but with enough patience one can be bought somewhat reasonable. To many collectors on the nice ones and people who still use them on the others must be bidding. Even blades alone that show some use aren't real cheap.

looks like I'm gonna have to get that tyto or bench made now after all
I was hoping this outdoor edge would resolve the problems I had with my havalon

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious why the tyto handle is crappy. I was looking at purchasing one.

Very thin handle (side to side) with a large depth (front to back) makes a very uncomfortable grib. You will find your self repositioning your grip frequently and it will cause hand fatigue. Sure you can wrap it in paracord, but that doesn’t change the ratio. Not to mention that wrapping a knife handle with a wick for blood, is just not smart. They need to make scales for this knife, look at dang near every knife out there, they have scales for a reason. They are there to improve grip and reduce hand fatigue, when’s the last time you have seen a butcher or chef with a knife with no scales? Sure, you might be able to quarter a deer before your hand starts to cramp and fatigue, add the cold and a bigger and animal and it WILL suck. Good scales will solve this problem

svivian

WKR
Interesting I'll have to try my buddies tyto first. I use the outdoor edge for general processing and always carry a havalon in case I need to cape a skull. Just this year I have done two deer a bear and my cow elk I shot last week and haven't really cleaned it all that well but haven't had any problems so far.

twall13

WKR
Very thin handle (side to side) with a large depth (front to back) makes a very uncomfortable grib. You will find your self repositioning your grip frequently and it will cause hand fatigue. Sure you can wrap it in paracord, but that doesn’t change the ratio. Not to mention that wrapping a knife handle with a wick for blood, is just not smart. They need to make scales for this knife, look at dang near every knife out there, they have scales for a reason. They are there to improve grip and reduce hand fatigue, when’s the last time you have seen a butcher or chef with a knife with no scales? Sure, you might be able to quarter a deer before your hand starts to cramp and fatigue, add the cold and a bigger and animal and it WILL suck. Good scales will solve this problem

While I can see where you are coming from, I personally didn't notice any fatigue when I used my Tyto to process my elk solo this year. Granted it wasn't super cold, but temps were in the mid to high 30's. I wrapped my handle in paracord and it improved the grip (I also wear latex gloves while processing an animal so maybe that helped?). True, the paracord absorbs blood but I just unwrapped it afterwards and threw out the paracord. 6' of paracord is cheap and easy to replace (don't buy the knife pre-wrapped, it's really easy to do yourself). The knife really is WAY easier to clean than my old havalon and I personally prefer how it feels in my hand over the havalon. I haven't used an Outdoors Edge to compare it to but I'm happy enough with the Tyto that I don't intend to switch.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Outdoor Edge Razor Lite "Getting Stuck" Question

The hand fatigue thing must depend on the user. This year I have used my Tyto on a Wolf, two bears, antelope, two elk and two muledeer. Only the elk took more than one blade. I did brake a few blades when I got in a rush. I’ve used just about all the Havalon’s, Gerber’s version and the Razor Lite. I prefer the Tyto over any of the other. I do carry the Barracuta for elk. That big bitch speed up the deboning process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I worked in a hog processing plant in high school, I don't know that there was a scaled knife in the place. If there was I never saw them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest soaking the blade in Peroxide. Just stick it in a glass with enough peroxide to cover the blade. Should dissolve whatever blood/guts is holding it in there. But then I read to the end and saw that you got it off. Oh well, next time try the peroxide.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Third elk with the Tyto this year love it!
d53534b31f3201b7c7a022fc12d605e2.jpg

e296f2c0a7faf873c353b5e5c9ab72f2.jpg

HookUp

WKR
I have an outdoor edge and have boned out 10 deer in the past two years. Have never had a blade get stuck and love the knife.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have an outdoor edge and have boned out 10 deer in the past two years. Have never had a blade get stuck and love the knife.

Yeah, mine broke down several animals just fine. Then it jammed up and was not usable.

HookUp

WKR
Yeah, mine broke down several animals just fine. Then it jammed up and was not usable.

Did you clean it squeeky clean between animals? I have to use a pic to get all the gunk out of the rail.