Outdoor Edge Razor Lite "Getting Stuck" Question

Came home on Saturday night after being on a hunt where my buddy downed a deer in CO. I was using my Outdoor Edge Razor Lite Knife. I didn't wash it off like I should have once getting back to the truck/camper. I wanted to make it home that night, so I kind of rushed through some things figuring I could take care of it all on Sunday.

In short: My replaceable blade is stuck and I can't get it out.

Things I've done
Let it sit in hot water for an hour
Put WD 40 on it

I've had it stuck before and letting it sit in hot water worked. Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I leave Tuesday afternoon for another hunt so wanting to get this taken care of.

jmez

WKR
The blades are brittle and it should break pretty easy. I'd just grab it with pliers and twist to the side until it breaks. You should then be able to pull the other pieces off with the pliers. I haven't used this particular model knife but it happens with scalpels a lot, we just break them off .

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This is why I stopped using them.

Had them gum up with fat/meat while on the mountain trying to replace the blade in the middle of the night and I don't usually carry pliers.

This is why I stopped using them.

Had them gum up with fat/meat while on the mountain trying to replace the blade in the middle of the night and I don't usually carry pliers.

Hvae not had this happen with my Havalon. I think ive done 6 or 7 animals with it and done at least one blade change mid animal with just my hands.

efnm

WKR
I noticed the folding was a little stuff while cleaning my OE knife last night, but had no problem removing the blade. I don't know how often I'll have to do that while in the field as I've now helped cut up an elk and a mule deer and it's still not even dull.

Owenst7

WKR
I boil my knives for a couple minutes when I need to sterilize/clean them out in the field. I've never had to do any further cleaning to get gunk out of my folders. The fat drips off and the meat and hair seems to get knocked off from the agitation.

Gobspur

FNG
Prolly gunk stuck under the release button and in spring, preventing it from releasing the blade. If you've soaked good, try blowing some compressed air where the button release is. Could also try taking the knife apart with a star bit.

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
Just got off the phone with them, and they think the locking mechanism is broke. Transferred me to their warranty department, they only take emails.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Sell it/ toss it. Look at a good fixed blade or a gerber vital fixed blade (if you want a replacement blade knife). Havalon are not bad, blades can come off with a little torq, so be careful. They are also a folder, so they hold a lot of fat in the folding section. Don't fall for the "tyto" craze, same blade issue as havalon with a much crappier handle, only plus to them is fixed blade and light weight and that is IT.

Thanks,
Boswell

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sell it/ toss it. Look at a good fixed blade or a gerber vital fixed blade (if you want a replacement blade knife). Havalon are not bad, blades can come off with a little torq, so be careful. They are also a folder, so they hold a lot of fat in the folding section. Don't fall for the "tyto" craze, same blade issue as havalon with a much crappier handle, only plus to them is fixed blade and light weight and that is IT.

Thanks,

Boswell

I Love the handle on the Tyto's

I also used the havalon and had issues with broken blades, gummed up areas.
The knives are awesome for cutting up animals, but they do fail at the worst time.
I since switched to the Outdoor edge
Amazon.com: Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite EDC Folding Knife, Orange: Sports & Outdoors
It too is a replacable type knife, but more robust and way easier to swap out blades, yet still gives you the scalpo type cutting power.

I don't think their blades stay as sharp as long, as the havalons- but It is a great knife, and my go to knife now.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I also used the havalon and had issues with broken blades, gummed up areas.
The knives are awesome for cutting up animals, but they do fail at the worst time.
I since switched to the Outdoor edge
Amazon.com: Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite EDC Folding Knife, Orange: Sports & Outdoors
It too is a replacable type knife, but more robust and way easier to swap out blades, yet still gives you the scalpo type cutting power.

I don't think their blades stay as sharp as long, as the havalons- but It is a great knife, and my go to knife now.

That’s the knife the OP has! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Back Country Hunter 2
So after work I stopped at Cabela's on the way home and bought another one. Same knife, just in case I couldn't get the blade off of the other one. When I got home I boiled my old one in water for 15 minutes and tried to pull it off with regular pliers. Didn't work. I gave it another 10 minutes and nothing. So I open the brand new one I purchased at Cabela's and put it in my kill kit. Got a hunt I'm leaving for on Tuesday after work.

My buddy comes over to drop off my coolers that he was using to store his meat from filling his tag with me this past weekend. I told him my issue and he grabs a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled off the blade. I felt like an idiot lol. He was pulling out and up at the same time. I was only pulling up.

muddydogs

WKR
So after work I stopped at Cabela's on the way home and bought another one. Same knife, just in case I couldn't get the blade off of the other one. When I got home I boiled my old one in water for 15 minutes and tried to pull it off with regular pliers. Didn't work. I gave it another 10 minutes and nothing. So I open the brand new one I purchased at Cabela's and put it in my kill kit. Got a hunt I'm leaving for on Tuesday after work.

My buddy comes over to drop off my coolers that he was using to store his meat from filling his tag with me this past weekend. I told him my issue and he grabs a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled off the blade. I felt like an idiot lol. He was pulling out and up at the same time. I was only pulling up.

Blade slides back and forth in the track, no reason to pull up on the blade just pull it straight away from the knife handle. When I am done skinning and quartering an animal I take the blade out of the knife and wrap it in my surgical gloves then throw both in the food saver bag that contained my meat bags. Blade is well protected from cutting up my pack plus removing the blade while the knife is still wet and nasty is easier the waiting until the knife gets all hard and crusty. Most of the time I don't even fold the knife blade track back into the handle and throw the knife in the food saver bag as well, figure by not folding the knife up I'm getting less crud in the handle to clean out later.

I have processed 4 animals with my Outdoor Edge knife this season but I still can't convince myself to leave the fixed blade knife at home, still don't fully trust the replaceable blade knives and I keep thinking that when a guy needs a heavy fixed blade he needs a heavy fixed blade and no replaceable blade knife is going to cut it.