Headlamp

Tod osier

WKR
And fwiw...

Fenix is now selling 18650 batteries which have a direct micro USB plug-in port for charging...meaning you don't need a separate charging device which holds the battery. You charge the battery simply by direct plug-in connection. This means you can also recharge the battery on a hunt by using a portable power bank like a Zendure, Anker, etc.

Fenix ARB-L18-3500U USB Rechargeable Li-ion 18650 Battery - Fenix-Store

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the mAh they are good for a reputable brand.

WKR
My red burned out this year so I'm definitely looking.

Which lights have green instead of red?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the mAh they are good for a reputable brand.

Yep this is why I got my Fenix last year. It is a 1000 lumens if needed and as soft as needed too, with a red light, and it charges in the set up.
I also carry 1 extra battery in case I need it after a evening kill and long hike out. Then I can charge them both at camp, one at a time in the head lamp itself.

OP
W
How old was your storm? That should NOT happen with a BD headlamp, which I switched to a couple years ago after they revamped their technology. I’d be happy to help you warranty that lamp if it is not working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate it. Already working with Black Diamond as it is onlky a year old. So Zebra or Fenix look good. Any preference over the two? The Storm is officially voted out of the pack no matter what.

OP
W
Just a quick update. Black Diamond is sending out a new light without having to send in the old one. Great customer service with a quick response.

RCL

WKR
I like the Zebra. The one I use requires one AA and is flood, I think.
Also have a couple of the Petzl E+Lites that I am trying.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like a lot of guys like different lamps.

Iv been using a petzl myo for a long time.

A few positives
Beam or flood with the flip of a diffuser cap
Runs on AA like all my other gear
AAs burn forever
Different light modes
On off switch protector so it won't turn on in your pack

It's a little heavy due to running on 3 AA batteries, but when your tracking a deer in the middle of the night and want beam and flood light that's powerful this one hasn't let me down.

I keep a petzl e lite in my kit with all my emergency gear as well.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I have an o-light and it is awesome! I can use it as a headlamp or take it out and use it as a flashlight. It also recharges. Should check them out, and no I am not affiliated with them in any way.

LandYacht

WKR
I have an o-light and it is awesome! I can use it as a headlamp or take it out and use it as a flashlight. It also recharges. Should check them out, and no I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Have you tried the H2R Nova? Looks really interesting, but I’m confused on if just their batteries will work or if the 18650 batteries I have will work now too.

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I opted for the Fenix spotlight type light. Processed an elk for 4 hrs with it in the rain- flawless.
Processed a mule deer with it - flawless.
I used it for other stuff.
great light
Rechargeable set up as bright as you need, and several dimmer settings for early mornings in the tipi.

This is the actual model I got and it stays in my pack til needed.
Fenix HP25R Rechargeable LED Flashlight 1000 Lumen Headlamp, Spotlight Flood-Beam Red-Light with 18650 Rechargeable Battery and LegionArms USB charging cord - - Amazon.com

I also carry a small headlamp like a zebra, in my kill kit but mine is generic and have had it for years- no issues ever
Then I have a small base ball cap type that goes on the brim of my hat- made by browning I use it for hiking in/out

This Fenix HP25R is interesting. It appears to have both spotlight and floodlight modes. Do you find it to be a good jack of all trades? Or would a guy be better off with two separate dedicated headlamps (ie, one spotlight and one flood light)?

I have 3 headlamps
1 is bball cap type that just stays on the brim of my cap

2 is this fenix

3 is another Zebra type

I don't get the big fenix out till I have animal down at night or tracking

But yes it could be an all things type light

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to chime in here, only because I have a model that I haven't really seen others use at all. I want to say I actually got it in a gift basket, or possibly as a stocking stuffer one year, I can't recall. Anyhow, it is made by LED Lensor, and it is one of the SEO models, but I'm not sure which of the three models it actually is.

It has been super reliable for the past few years. You can focus the beam from wide flood to a pretty impressive spot light. I always get comments on how powerful the beam is and how well it works. I will certainly buy another whenever this one fails me.

I always just keep a set of spare batteries in my pack of course, and then when not in use, I flip one of the batteries around to prevent accidentally turning it on in my pocket or pack. When the batteries are getting low, you'll see a red flash indicating so, but you don't actually lose power. It will just eventually shutoff. Having had this happen while in the field, I toggled it back on to the next power down, and was easily able to make it back to camp over a couple miles on that setting without issue. It's been good to me.

Best LED Headlamps | LEDLENSER

I don’t know how it compares to the headlamps mentioned above, for weight, but I’ve been using a headlamp from Knoxx for several years for predator hunting (part of my job) as well as hunting myself and guiding. It has 2 power settings and runs on 3 AA batteries. It has a very comfortable headband. What’s really great about it is the ability to focus the beam. It has a slider that goes from a wide flood to a diamond shaped spot (at its tightest) that can easily light up eyes past 300yds. It’s flat out amazing for calling. It runs on 3AA and has a really long run time. I’ve never timed it but I rarely change batteries on a full night of hunting at the higher power setting; and that’s using cheap Kirkland batteries from Costco. It might be heavier than some of the others mentioned but there’s a lot to like about it; particularly the ability to customize the beam how you want it, when you want it, with one hand quickly and easily. I’ve been pretty rough on it here in S Texas so I know they’re a lot more durable than the $50-$60msrp would suggest.

Here’s a link to them: Red Headlamps - Green Headlamps - Hunting Headlamps

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
Zebra is the best I have, also have a nice black diamond which crapped out in a time of need I didnt have the lockout activated and it was on in my pack all day, I also made the mistake of trying to change the BD batteries while in horseback on the side of a mountain in co....as expected it didnt work out well
single rechargeable 18650 lasts LONG TIME and is a no brainer to change when needed