Headlamp

Looking for a great headlamp I can depend on. Had my Black Diamond Storm crap out on me during a 7 mile pack out in the snow. Not ideal. Not looking to save money here just want a light I can trust. Thanks in advance.

I have run a petzl actik core this year. So far I like it. The rechargeable battery is cool. You can also run AAA batteries. 3oz. 350 luminaries.

I am interested in the zebra light but was scared off a bit by the battery.

Owenst7

WKR
What happened to your Storm, and how old was it?

That's my favorite headlamp I've found so far. I've had mine for about a year.

topher89

WKR
People always suggest Zebralight... but which model? They have a dizzying amount of options. I am in the same boat, I am interested in a dependable lamp, regardless of cost. I have a black diamond that is not clicking on and off constantly, the slightest tough sets it off. This weekend, it was on all weekend in my pack and died on a hike, no bueno

oldgoat

WKR
People always suggest Zebralight... but which model? They have a dizzying amount of options. I am in the same boat, I am interested in a dependable lamp, regardless of cost. I have a black diamond that is not clicking on and off constantly, the slightest tough sets it off. This weekend, it was on all weekend in my pack and died on a hike, no bueno
It has a lock out function, at least my Black Diamond does, not sure what model I have, but I like it so far.

I opted for the Fenix spotlight type light. Processed an elk for 4 hrs with it in the rain- flawless.
Processed a mule deer with it - flawless.
I used it for other stuff.
great light
Rechargeable set up as bright as you need, and several dimmer settings for early mornings in the tipi.

This is the actual model I got and it stays in my pack til needed.
Fenix HP25R Rechargeable LED Flashlight 1000 Lumen Headlamp, Spotlight Flood-Beam Red-Light with 18650 Rechargeable Battery and LegionArms USB charging cord - - Amazon.com

I also carry a small headlamp like a zebra, in my kill kit but mine is generic and have had it for years- no issues ever
Then I have a small base ball cap type that goes on the brim of my hat- made by browning I use it for hiking in/out

topher89

WKR
It has a lock out function, at least my Black Diamond does, not sure what model I have, but I like it so far.

Hmm, I will have to check. Mine is seriously on a hair trigger. The slightest tap to the button and it goes on or off.

oldgoat

WKR
Hmm, I will have to check. Mine is seriously on a hair trigger. The slightest tap to the button and it goes on or off.

With the light off, hold down the power button till a little LED on the edge blinks. Mine kept turning on in my hip belt pocket during elk season, finally read the destructions closer and figured out the lock thing!

Neutral white if you like a natural yellow tint to your light. Cool white if you like that blueish old school led look.

Regular if you want some distance out of your light.
Flood if you want a wall of light but don't care about distance.
Floody if you want in between.

If you want to make daylight at will get the big one that uses the 18650 batteries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Zebralight H52W or the newer but more expensive H53W, either of these run on a single rechargeable AA battery

Key features I like, you can press button 4 times to give battery level indicator, which I find handy, you can program it to give you different levels of light depending on if you want more light or better battery life, 12 levels to choose from memory.

Also, being a single AA it is very easy to change battery in the dark which is very handy.

As discussed previously they have 18650 battery models (H600W) that are exceptional and I use both, the H600 is my normal use headlight and the AA version is my emergency backup.

I always recommend the W models as they are "neutral" white.

Hope that helps

OP
W
What happened to your Storm, and how old was it?

That's my favorite headlamp I've found so far. I've had mine for about a year.

Only a year old. Battery indicator blinked as I tried to cycle on. Acts like it is locked. Changed batteries and it still will not cycle on. I did Google the problem and it seems to be fairly common.

Although neither of them are in the league of super-bright torches (exceeding say 500 lumens) Princeton-Tec has a couple models I own and use frequently. Their cost is reasonable and they are a good camp/trail light. I likely wouldn't consider either of them bright enough for trailing wounded animal at night or for a complete butchering job on a large animal...at least for me and my eyes.

If I had to grab one off a shelf and absolutely depend on it (without spending big) it would quite likely be a Princeton-Tec Remix. That's a very good light for moderate money.

REMIX | Princeton Tec

I've also got an old favorite. The PT Eos is a great light with perfect balance and maybe the easiest to use switch of any light I own. I would have no problem taking this light on a major hunt and depending on it. I've done it before.

EOS | Princeton Tec

My top backcountry light is a Zebralight (and no I don't know the exact model#) which uses a single 18650 rechargeable lithium cell. Mine is the neutral white 'Floody' model. I've had it 3 years and it's a real tool....a workhorse light. I can easily get a 12-14 day hunt out of just one 18650 battery. And where else can you get over 1200 lumens (if needed) in a light weighing under 2 ounces? It's just over 4 ounces with battery and headband. I believe this is the current equivalent model:

H600Fw Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Floody Neutral White Headlamp

I just picked up a Fenix HL60R to check out and use where I live. Great light but not as nice as the Zebralight. Same cost but it does come with a battery. 950 lumens max. Nearer to 6 ounces fully rigged. A bit bulkier in wear vs my Zeeb. It has click-stops when angling it up or down and I'm more of a fan of the smooth rotation-angling of the Zebralight. I'm going to keep it for use around the house and farm. I used it to recover a deer I shot last week and it impressed me with its beam angle and even spread.

Fenix HL60R Rechargeable LED Headlamp - Fenix-Store

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a Zebralight H600 based on suggestions here. However, I didn't want to go the yellowish colored light like the H600w model. I'm definitely glad I went the cool light route. It's much brighter and makes blood trailing much easier for me.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a great headlamp I can depend on. Had my Black Diamond Storm crap out on me during a 7 mile pack out in the snow. Not ideal. Not looking to save money here just want a light I can trust. Thanks in advance.

How old was your storm? That should NOT happen with a BD headlamp, which I switched to a couple years ago after they revamped their technology. I’d be happy to help you warranty that lamp if it is not working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Great thread here, thanks guys.

Do the Zebralights ever accidentally turn on? I hate that and one of my lights (Princeton tech - Apex) has done it twice and not only does that waste battery with a really bright light like that they get HOT in your pack!

I assume that the Zebralights are bullet proof - any failure stories out there?

The Zebralight won't turn on by itself without somehow depressing the switch. To prevent accidental 'on' events....turn the battery cover/end cap just 1/4 turn. The light will NOT be able to operate until the end cap is tightened. I do this when packing or traveling and have never had accidental battery drain.

One nice thing about 18650 batteries is the rechargeable feature. They are powerful cells and most 18650 lights offer way more illumination and operation time vs CR123 or AA/AAA units. Over the life of the light, recharging the 18650 battery will more than pay for the increased cost vs replacing batteries many times.

Tod osier

WKR
The Zebralight won't turn on by itself without somehow depressing the switch. To prevent accidental 'on' events....turn the battery cover/end cap just 1/4 turn. The light will NOT be able to operate until the end cap is tightened. I do this when packing or traveling and have never had accidental battery drain.

One nice thing about 18650 batteries is the rechargeable feature. They are powerful cells and most 18650 lights offer way more illumination and operation time vs CR123 or AA/AAA units. Over the life of the light, recharging the 18650 battery will more than pay for the increased cost vs replacing batteries many times.

Thanks, a 1/4 turn is much easier than taking a battery out of a spring tension holder or turning it around, etc... That and carrying a second battery should do it as far as safety even on a long trip given your moose hunt numbers (long nights).

We have a lot of headlamps at home, but I'm thinking upgrade to Zebralights for my wife, son and I with a 18650 battery setup would do the trick for us.