Pelican hard case

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this goes here, but I'm looking for a hard case to fly with.

Initially looking at Pelican cases, specifically the storm I'm 3300, but thinking about the 1750 too.

Let me know your thoughts if you have either and is the storm case worth the extra money? Or if you have another option, I am all ears.

Gumbo

WKR
I have had a 3300 for about 6 years. Holds my two Tikkas perfectly and no worries about keeping them from getting banged around. Would buy one again for sure. I don't know anything about the storm case but I can't imagine what I would need or want that the 3300 doesn't have.

Owenst7

WKR
I've had a 1750 for about 15 years. Probably been on a little over a dozen flights from AK to Reno. I've also run it on the front rack of an ATV in Alaska for several years. It's been in several rollovers, including at least one in a river. I have no complaints, and if I needed another hard case, I'd buy exactly the same one over again.

I have three Doskocil cases that I actually think are made of better plastic, but I believe they've gone out of business. I'd give the Pelican a bit of an edge due to resale value of being a popular brand, but they are very comparable products.

I've frequently flown with three scoped rifles in my cases without concern of them damaging each other. I use the three layers of foam and didn't cut them at all.

colonel00

WKR
I've got the Cabela's version/knockoff of the 1750. These styles of cases are great and tough but they are heavy too. Something to consider if you are flying with them. The case alone is almost half of the 50lb baggage limit. Just something to keep in mind.

Looks like the 3300 is a bit lighter at 19lbs.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Does color make a difference at the airport? Do the airlines make a big deal about it? I know there is a process to go through, just curious.

Can’t go wrong with pelican.

Only real downsides are cost and weight but there is a reason the pros use them. Also, as you cut the foam, I have had good luck with an electric carving knife just don’t let my wife know. You may also want to cut a more general opening for other or future guns to fit. A tight fit for your current gun looks cool until you change the scope, add a bipod or get a new rifle. You either have to recut or buy new foam because the case will last for ever. Also get some extra locks. Someone I know got harrassed by tsa because the only had two locks on the case and not one for every possible locking point.

I have also had good luck with SKB. And they are a bit cheaper and have more general foam. Use them a lot for flying and moving guns around in my truck. I have two of their double rifle cases and like the bunk bed design. I also have a double bow case that doubles as a small yacht in the off season.

N2TRKYS

WKR
How does the no cut work? Do you just mash it down?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I pull out the center piece of foam. I always carry my rifles/shotguns in a soft case in my Pelican. That way I can ditch the hard case at my destination and use my soft case. Nothing moves around in my Pelican when doing this, either.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the 1750 and the 3300.
Both are great but I favor the 3300 a bit.

R

As a destination hunter I only rely on ATA rated SKB cases cuz airport goons and shipping companies can break anything. Even bent my 6 rifle SKB case pretty good but not bad enough to lock up. SKB replaced it on the spot, no questions asked. Lifetime warranty is legit.

Netherman

WKR
I pull out the center piece of foam. I always carry my rifles/shotguns in a soft case in my Pelican. That way I can ditch the hard case at my destination and use my soft case. Nothing moves around in my Pelican when doing this, either.

Gonna have to steal that idea. Thanks!

frankrb3

WKR
I have the pelican 1720 which works great for AR15 sized weapons (should have gotten the 1750). I also have 4 other large pelican cases. Everyone one of them is built like a tank and has performed extremely well. FYI the military uses a lot of pelican cases to protect some very sensitive equipment while be transported by service members.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a few of the nicer Plano cases, sort of their version of the pelicans, they are lighter and pretty tough. with those things, I drilled an additional hole on each end so /I could use 4 locks, then I ditched the center piece of foam. When I moved up to AK, I had 2 of them, between the 2, I had 3 rifles, a shotgun, 4 handguns, a fly rod, machete, several knives and a few hundred rounds of ammo stuffed into them, I used clothes to pack everything tight and had no problem keeping both cases a hare under 50lbs each and I wasn't hassled at all about the locks or anything. Rhose plano cases only cost about a hundred dollars each.

Since then I added an SKB single rifle case as well.