Camera choice

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
If you pack one in to hunt or for scouting trips, what are you taking:
Brand?
Point&shoot or DSLR?

colonel00

WKR
So many answers here. Whenever these questions come up, I ask the question, what do you want out of the photos? If you are just looking to have photos for you, maybe to post and share, etc., then a decent P&S will be fine. If you are wanting to have really "good" photos that you can enlarge quite a bit then a DSLR might be a better answer.

For P&S, I now have a Canon G7X Mark II. Many folks use the Sony RX100 and quite a few use the Olympus TG cameras because they are waterproof. These cameras will get you pretty good shots but the sensor size will limit what you can do with the images.

For DSLR, well, that's just a whole nother black hole that will suck you in.

For me, I picked the G7X for trips where weight was the utmost priority or where I didn't anticipate wanting/needing the capabilities of my DSLR but I still wanted something better than a cell phone.

Speaking of, most cell phones any more have pretty decent cameras that would do just fine for photos to post online or share with the family.

Again, it all depends on what you want out of the photos.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I know it is a very open ended question, but in the long run I want something I can use for more than just a quick photo.
I have recommendations from professional photographry friends, just wanted another opinion.

colonel00

WKR
Well, I guess the other important factor is what you are taking photos of. If you want to shoot wildlife at really long distances or things that are moving fast, a DSLR will perform better. If you want to do some astrophotography, nightscapes, etc., a DSLR will probably perform better. If you want to be able to take really wide or fisheye landscape shots or you need to use filters for landscape shots, a DSLR will probably perform better. All of this is because you can use different lenses which is great as long as you can carry them all.

For everything else, as long as you aren't looking to make huge prints for your wall, a good P&S will be fine and a phone camera will still do a pretty decent job.

Again though, it's hard to give a suggestion if you don't let us know what you are looking to take photos of and what you intend to do with the photos.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
A good flexible option for quick point and shoot as well as video is the Sony A6300 or A6500. They have interchangeable lenses. I have the A6300 and I mostly just use the 16-50 kit lense. If I want to reach out further, I have the 24-240. I just watched the Land of the Free episode from last night, and they are filming using the A6500 for what its worth.

-David

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I know it is a very open ended question, but in the long run I want something I can use for more than just a quick photo.
I have recommendations from professional photographry friends, just wanted another opinion.
If you're friends with those photographers, you might want to use their brand. If you go DSLR. Thats what I did and I learned some great tips from them on specific features to my camera. Also you can try our expensive glass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I guess the other important factor is what you are taking photos of. If you want to shoot wildlife at really long distances or things that are moving fast, a DSLR will perform better. If you want to do some astrophotography, nightscapes, etc., a DSLR will probably perform better. If you want to be able to take really wide or fisheye landscape shots or you need to use filters for landscape shots, a DSLR will probably perform better. All of this is because you can use different lenses which is great as long as you can carry them all.

For everything else, as long as you aren't looking to make huge prints for your wall, a good P&S will be fine and a phone camera will still do a pretty decent job.

Again though, it's hard to give a suggestion if you don't let us know what you are looking to take photos of and what you intend to do with the photos.

Colonel00, I want to do all the above; wildlife, astrophotography, and landscapes. I am also heading to the grand canyon early spring and may or may not take it then, but want the option. Video is the least important of everything, but is a nice addition.

dotman

WKR
Just get a Sony A6000, do a google search as there is a ton of information out there on it.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Sony. I picked up an a5000 for a song and I'm very happy with how it works. I've been out of the picture/video game for a while, so its capabilities don't far outreach my ability. I've also got an older Sony ActionCam that I pair with the a5000 and I haven't regretted them.

If you aren't going to be shooting and editing 4k, some cameras just are't worth the extra cash. Memory cards for 4k is something else to consider.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that the more at hand your camera is the more pics you will bring home.
I have a Coolpix i carry in my pocket.
I've since not missed many spur of the moment photos that I had in the past.
The nikon A900 is my next choice.

R