Kuiu Guide DCS - Packability?

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at a Guide Jacket but curious how small the jacket folds/packs down. Is it as small as a Nalgene bottle? I'd like to have something that does not take up a lot of room in my 1800 in pack. Thanks.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Packability = nonexistent

Love the jacket but it doesn't compress well at all because it's a thick soft shell. Probably can get it as small as 2-3 nalgenes.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huge. My chinook packs a lot better almost nalgene size

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
It's a nice softshell for medium temps & the fit is very good. Not very warm, wind proof, and packable though. Not something I'd take in on a backpack hunt.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Also, after using it a few times, it either has to be colder than 40 degrees or really windy to warrant wearing it. Love the durability and features but I'd rather wear a Peloton 200 hoodie and pack an insulated Teton or Superdown jacket.

OP
T

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, sounds like I'll be looking for something else.

Also, after using it a few times, it either has to be colder than 40 degrees or really windy to warrant wearing it. Love the durability and features but I'd rather wear a Peloton 200 hoodie and pack an insulated Teton or Superdown jacket.

What is the difference between the Peloton 200 Hoodie and the Ultra Merino 210 Hoodie, aside from the different materials? What I’m getting at is: is one more packable/compressible? Is one more durable than the other? Does one warm better than the other?

They seem to weigh about the same, so I’m curious.

I wear Kuiu for all my hunting and guiding here in S. Texas but most of mine is older - I bought most of it 4-6 years ago. I’m not familiar with the Peloton stuff at all but I wear the 240 Merino 1/4 zip, lightweight merino long sleeve, Guide DCS jacket and pants and a Super Down shirt they don’t make any more. It works terrific here but I’m gearing up fo get back into backpack hunting; and I’m trying to figure out what’ll work (and what won’t) and what I need to get.

Gonna miss my DCS jacket, lol! Can you expand a little on why the Peloton Hoodie would be better and the difference from the merino Ultra??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
What is the difference between the Peloton 200 Hoodie and the Ultra Merino 210 Hoodie, aside from the different materials? What I’m getting at is: is one more packable/compressible? Is one more durable than the other? Does one warm better than the other?

They seem to weigh about the same, so I’m curious.

I wear Kuiu for all my hunting and guiding here in S. Texas but most of mine is older - I bought most of it 4-6 years ago. I’m not familiar with the Peloton stuff at all but I wear the 240 Merino 1/4 zip, lightweight merino long sleeve, Guide DCS jacket and pants and a Super Down shirt they don’t make any more. It works terrific here but I’m gearing up fo get back into backpack hunting; and I’m trying to figure out what’ll work (and what won’t) and what I need to get.

Gonna miss my DCS jacket, lol! Can you expand a little on why the Peloton Hoodie would be better and the difference from the merino Ultra??

Thanks!

I don't have the Merino 210 hoodie so I can't comment. Frankly, I will never buy another Merino piece from Kuiu again, I think there are other companies that are WAY better and more comfortable.

The Peloton 200 is just a lightweight fleece hoodie. Very durable and pretty packable.

FURMAN

WKR
I love my Guide Jacket but would take a Super Down with a Hardshell into the backcountry over the Guide every time.

I agree. Kuiu Merino base wool is itchy and scratchy. Smart wool is the way to go

Really, I’ve never found Kuiu scratchy but I grew up with wool that WAS scratchy and rough so I guess my skin is a little thicker and tougher that y’all young-ins! Lol!

I love my Guide Jacket but would take a Super Down with a Hardshell into the backcountry over the Guide every time.

Yeah, I love mine too. Unless it was going to be really warm, I’m not going hunting without mine. Heck, I wear it in late October in Texas. It’s not water PROOF but it’ll sure shed a lot of water before getting wet. I’ve used it in moderate rain to keep my down shirt or whatever base layers dry for a long time. And it’s tough enough to do well in the S Texas brush which makes it plenty tough for anything the mountains can throw at it. Unless I was having to watch EVERY ounce, it seems like a necessity piece for any of my hunts. I’d strap it under a compression strap if I had to.

When this topic first came up I thought I might ditch it for something else for backpack hunting -and I may - but I haven’t seen a better solution (for me) posted in here.

If you are looking for packability, then look at the Kuiu Chugach jacket. Softshell jackets aren't real packable, but because the Guide jackets breathes so well and has pit zips, I rarely take it off. If it's that warm, I just wear a long sleeve shirt and pack the Chugach for wind and rain protection.

Possibly the 'packability' answer is a matter of usability or versatility to a specific user in a specific situation. By that I mean some garments (like the Guide Jacket and other soft shells) might serve multi-duty and result in a reduction of other garments taken on a hunt. The Guide is undoubtedly not compressible to a tiny size, nor is it ultra-light in weight. Those 2 factors can be mitigated if a guy decides to ditch a mid-layer, rain jacket, insulation piece or other item he thinks won't be necessary on a specific trip. I do wear my Guide DCS Jacket a lot and I've come to like it as well as any piece I own....but that's me only and my preferences on a hunt. I often suggest guys should look beyond weight and volume. Look at how much overall use you'll get from anything and then make a decision. In colder, wetter climes you'll find me packing my Guide.

Not sure if you've already made your mind up or not, but I have a way to pack the guide jacket (XL) that's about two nalgenes wide and one (and some change) tall. PM me if you'd like.