Opinion on first lite rain jacket

ryan0786

FNG
Looking at my 2 options for rain jackets. Does anyone have experience with the seak jacket which is quite a bit more.than the vapor jacket. Is this jacket worth it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
It totally depends on your use. The SEAK is more robust for places like southeast Alaska where it's thick and wet and you'll be brush busting through wet stuff all day. The Vapor is better suited for environments where it's in your pack more often than not. Both are great jackets but they are built for different uses. Whether the SEAK is worth the extra money depends on how and where you intend to use it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
R

ryan0786

FNG
It totally depends on your use. The SEAK is more robust for places like southeast Alaska where it's thick and wet and you'll be brush busting through wet stuff all day. The Vapor is better suited for environments where it's in your pack more often than not. Both are great jackets but they are built for different uses. Whether the SEAK is worth the extra money depends on how and where you intend to use it.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR

Exactly what he said. I will say the vapor is very breathable, the only rain jacket I've ever NOT gotten hot in

- Jesse

jwb300

WKR
I've got the SEAK and love it. It is bomber, comfortable and noticeably breathable. For its size and weight it is my go to rain coat. Just waiting for the SEAK pant to come out!

I wore the vapor and it was a steady rain for the whole time I cut up my bull. I will say this: I was soaked inside , not from rain but from sweat. I never knew it. I neither got cold or wet. But I was drenched. When I made it back to base camp around midnight, I was blown away by how much I was sweating. Keep in mind it was no more than 40 degrees either that night (11,000').

It worked great for it's intentions.
Just be mindful a decent rain gear will not breathe, yet any way.

I think the vapor is the way to go for weight, and protection, even in good rains.

Dobermann

WKR
I've got all three ... and all have their uses, as noted above. But broadly, in brush or if I'm expecting heavy rain, it's the Stormtight or the older Boundary Stormtight. If I'm not expecting rain, then the Vapor is in the pack. Always. Because it's the rain you're not expecting that's potentially the most dangerous ...

I don’t own the vapor but have the origina stormtight. Good jacket but a bit prone to snags and rips. I have ripped mine on thorns and brush 2 out of the probably 6 times I hav worn it. Taped the holes and drove on. I don’t recall have the same issue with the Patagonia jacket that it replaced. Think about going heavy if you are going to use it hard.

I put my SEAK through hell last season and its no worse for the wear. Slid down the side of an icy canyon with that jacket ripping through huckleberry bushes and rocks. I figured it was toast but it held up great. I think the vapor light would have just disintegrated.