Backcountry Pocket Folding Knife

boom

WKR
i'm okay with the blue.

i have only one Black Benchmade anyways. never did like the tactical look. plus black is the worst color for a knife in the dark..like inside my huntpack.

Owenst7

WKR
I buy high viz colors for most of my gear. It gets really old losing stuff when you're a day's hike from a road. It's not like my knife handle is going to get me busted during a stalk.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Spyderco Resilience for me. Inexpensive and holds a great edge.

rcrfc

FNG
For the Benchmade Bugout, get the Rogue Blade Works carbon fiber scales. Makes the knife slightly lighter bit more importantly gives the handle the rigidity it needs.

Rogue Bladeworks

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk

rcrfc

FNG
My Benchmade Bugout with Rogue Blade Works CF scales
b2fe800d5d372d4cee33ca8dae77a255.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I like an old Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade knife. They made them in the 80's and 90's. They can be found used on Ebay.

The knife with the Utility drop point blade weighs 2.6oz and I carry that in my pocket. I can carry an extra Hunter blade, Skinner blade, or Saw blade as needed. I normally use the Utility blade for all my camp work, carry and another couple blades for game processing in plastic sleeves in an old Velcro closure nylon sheath. That set-up weighs an additional 2.8oz but gives me 3 good sharp blades and eliminates carrying sharpening equipment in the field, it stays at the vehicle.

Total weight is 5.6oz and it's a much tougher set-up than a Havalon or Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. Really one spare blade is plenty for anything smaller than an elk and I could get through an elk if need be. One spare blade taped into the plastic sleeve is only 1.1oz of extra weight. I can be hard on stuff so I usually will pack a couple.

boom

WKR
For the Benchmade Bugout, get the Rogue Blade Works carbon fiber scales. Makes the knife slightly lighter bit more importantly gives the handle the rigidity it needs.

Rogue Bladeworks

what's that u-shaped "dent" in the scale? looks nice!! i dont think i can justify the expense at this point.

Cgeb

WKR
I don't think you could go wrong with a Spyderco Delica or Endura if you need a longer blade. Light but durable, Delica is my everyday carry, but wouldn't hesitate to use it to skin a deer if needed. Easy to sharpen and relatively good steel holds a great edge. I have the Resilience someone else suggested, it's OK to me but not the same grade as the Delica/Endura or the other mid-high end Spydercos. If cost is a consideration and weight isn't an issue I would suggest a Buck folder I think it's the model 110 (its the model thats been around forever).

ShakeDown

WKR
New guy here chiming in...

One thing I look for in a blade is ease/ability to sharpen. Someone earlier mentioned their ability to sharpen s30v... nice job! When I’m home on my EdgePro it’s a bit easier getting a hair splitting edge than when I’m in the field. The harder steels will definitely hold an edge longer, but in general are much more difficult to field sharpen depending on skill level.

Can’t beat D2 if you can find it, 154CPM is great as well, and of course love s30v, VG10 and I like CPM M4. If you are a bit worried about your field sharpening, maybe a 440c, 1095 or AUS 8. I prefer either a convex or Scandi grind for ease of sharpening.

IMO another factor I look at when grabbing a folder is deployment and weather conditions. I.E. I might opt for either a sheepsfoot Griptilian or a Spyderco with Spydie-hole for the ease of deployment if I have gloves on in cold weather.

For my money if I had one folder to bring with me it’s my Cruwear Spyderco Manix. Can’t beat the Manix line!

I have been taking a Hinderer XM 24 into the backcountry for a while now. It's a foider that is extremely well built and burly. It's capable of most of the chores of a small fixed blade knife. My problem with most folders is that they are relatively weak when compared with a fixed blade. The Hinderer overcomes that concern. It's built like a tank.

Hinderer Knives XM-24 Spear Point Flipper Knife FDE G-10 (4" Stonewash) - Blade HQ

frankrb3

WKR
I carry a mini griptilian with non-serrated blade. Easy to sharpen and I like how I can flip it open and closed with one hand. Benchmades new bugout looks like a sweet knife too.

BCSteel

FNG
I've been carrying a Benchmade small summit lake as an edc for about a year now. Absolutely love it. I use it for everything. Opening boxes, cutting plastic wrap off of pallets, food prep while camping, fire prep. I've used it to process 3 whitetails and a few grouse and rabbits. I don't think I could live without this knife anymore.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk