Backcountry Pocket Folding Knife

ks.snow

FNG
Looking for a knife to accomodate my tyto 1.1 for my backcountry hunts. Looking for something I can keep in my cargo pock at at all times. Mainly would be using it for camp chores (cutting rope, making tinder, etc.). Been looking at the benchmade mini-griptilian, benchmade grizzly creek, or benchmade north fork. Open to any other sugestions as well! Your input would be greatly appreciated.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That north fork looks nice. Simple with open spine (which makes cleaning gunk out easier if used on an animal), nice steel, and a decent point for use on animals while also being a camp knife.

i have a tendency to permanently misplace pocket knives when in the woods so i stopped buying expensive ones. my edc and secondary hunting knife now is a kabar dozier. you can pick them up on amazon for $20 and they weight 2.4 oz or something silly like that.

jmez

WKR
Case Trapper is pretty hard to beat for an all around knife. SS blades, not the cheaper version with vandium steel blade.

boom

WKR
I just got a Benchmade Bugout. I sharpened it easily to maybe my keenest folder. I bought it used, so it was on the dull side. S30V steel is within my skills to hone. Yay! It is a great knife.

All good knives you listed. Benchmade, Spyderco and many others have great md-sized folders. One of my all-time favorite useful EDC (on hunts) knives is my Spyderco Caly 3.5. Carbon fiber scales, wire pocket clip, superb blade and grip shapes all make it easy to carry and use.

I've got a custom Mini Grip I love...but the Spyderco Caly gets my nod when I reach for a knife to bring along.

I also recently bought a Benchmade Foray which is a great blade. Slightly more cutting surface vs the Mini Grip and a more substantial blade. It does weigh a bit more though. Love this knife.

Owenst7

WKR
I found a Gerber EZ-Out Jr. on the ground about 15 years ago. It's been my favorite small game/caping knife since then. I frequently carry that as a spare knife. I think it weighs about 1.5 ounces.

Last edited:
OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
I'm considering the grizzly creek for the fact it has a foldable gut hook. Are they really worth it for say making that first incesion in the hide to strip it down the back and the legs? If not then will most likely end up with the north fork. Appreciate everyone's replies so far!

Owenst7

WKR
I'm considering the grizzly creek for the fact it has a foldable gut hook. Are they really worth it for say making that first incesion in the hide to strip it down the back and the legs? If not then will most likely end up with the north fork. Appreciate everyone's replies so far!

I don't use them. I only ever use a havalon and that EZ Out. I have other skinning knives, but those are the ones I use even when there's another knife handy.

The gut hook is super nice but it’s really only going to save you a couple of minutes over being careful with any other knife. It’s a luxury and not a necessity. If I needed to shed some weight, this is one of those luxuries I CAN do without. Now, as a guide/outfitter in S Texas I don’t get far from a vehicle so I can carry it with me, and I do. I clean probably 75 deer a year and god knows how many hogs and it’s sure an incredible tool. Not sure I’d drag it deep into the back country.

This is what I use besides my Havalon knives that have become indispensable to me. It’s not a gut “hook” but the same idea and it’s worked great for 10-12 years and one heck of a lot of animals:
SwingBlade Series

I’m thinking about trying a Gigli wire bone saw for the pelvic bone and getting through and joints I can’t cut apart with my Havalon. It’d store great in my kill kit and weigh nothing on backpack hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The gut hook is super nice but it’s really only going to save you a couple of minutes over being careful with any other knife. It’s a luxury and not a necessity. If I needed to shed some weight, this is one of those luxuries I CAN do without. Now, as a guide/outfitter in S Texas I don’t get far from a vehicle so I can carry it with me, and I do. I clean probably 75 deer a year and god knows how many hogs and it’s sure an incredible tool. Not sure I’d drag it deep into the back country.

This is what I use besides my Havalon knives that have become indispensable to me. It’s not a gut “hook” but the same idea and it’s worked great for 10-12 years and one heck of a lot of animals:
SwingBlade Series

I’m thinking about trying a Gigli wire bone saw for the pelvic bone and getting through and joints I can’t cut apart with my Havalon. It’d store great in my kill kit and weigh nothing on backpack hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed, I only use gut hook equipped knives to open up coyote tails like a zipper