GPS Watches

I have set all my electronics up to be rechargeable with battery packs that are 24000 mah
Makes it convenient and simple

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Blandry

WKR
I daily wear a Garmin fenix 5 tactix bravo. It's great for activity tracking/fitness but I carry my garmin gpsmap 64st in the outdoors for gps tracking and mapping purposes. The watch doesn't work as well as a good rugged handheld for mapping purposes imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I used my garmin tactix bravo and onx maps on my phone in Colorado this year and had zero issues. Paired those with a portable battery charger and it was great

Blandry

WKR
I used my garmin tactix bravo and onx maps on my phone in Colorado this year and had zero issues. Paired those with a portable battery charger and it was great

I just downloaded the OnX hunting app for my phone. 7 days free with a one year/one state $29 yr. You're right, it is great.

Thanks!

I've been sitting here playing with it a bit. The only thing with these phone app gps is they're reliant on cell signal but cool app nonetheless.

Last edited:

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I just downloaded the OnX hunting app for my phone. 7 days free with a one year/one state $29 yr. You're right, it is great.

Thanks!

I've been sitting here playing with it a bit. The only thing with these phone app gps is they're reliant on cell signal but cool app nonetheless.

I used onx on my phone in airplane mode for a week and it worked perfectly. I used my tactix bravo as a backup gps, but really never needed a backup.

Blandry

WKR
Yeah it appears you can use the gps switched in airline mode. I'm wondering if you have to pre-cache the maps. I'm going to play around a lot with this app!

Sorry about going off topic a bit. Carry on.

OP
T

Texguy02

FNG
Just found out that I can get a Garmin with my flyer miles so that might swing my choice for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

boom

WKR
I daily wear a Garmin fenix 5 tactix bravo. It's great for activity tracking/fitness but I carry my garmin gpsmap 64st in the outdoors for gps tracking and mapping purposes. The watch doesn't work as well as a good rugged handheld for mapping purposes imo.

how is this watch different from the 5x.?

Blandry

WKR
It has a knurled bezel that protects the sapphire crystal, jump mode and night vision mode. Other than that it's the same as the standard fenix. Since I'm tough on watches the knurled protective bezel helps. It also looks better in my opinion.

Hey guys, I am creating my list of gear to head out west with and just came across this thread. Does this garmin watch replace a good garmin gps? It would cut a little weight and sounds very handy and def something I wouldn't lose! How do they recharge and how long does the battery last for? Is it a typical watch battery? Also someone else mentioned not having to rent a sat phone, which I was a bit confused by.

Hey guys, I am creating my list of gear to head out west with and just came across this thread. Does this garmin watch replace a good garmin gps? It would cut a little weight and sounds very handy and def something I wouldn't lose! How do they recharge and how long does the battery last for? Is it a typical watch battery? Also someone else mentioned not having to rent a sat phone, which I was a bit confused by.

I personally would not use the watch to replace any Nav gear. I would rather use it as a redundant safety set up.
I use the Garmin Inreach Explorer as my main Nav and Emergency SOS (Like a Sat phone if you will)
I also use my phone with Onx Hunt maps as a Gps set up (in airplane mode)

dotman

WKR
I wouldn’t use the watch as a stand alone gps but works well in addition to the phone gps apps such as Gaia and using the Garmin Inreach Earthmate app.

So can the inreach explorer use the onx maps chip? I just read up on it and it sounds like a great all in 1 tool so to speak and would be nice to not have to worry about the sat phone. I was planning on getting a nice garmin like the Oregon or the 64st. Is the inreach explorer touch screen?

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
So can the inreach explorer use the onx maps chip? I just read up on it and it sounds like a great all in 1 tool so to speak and would be nice to not have to worry about the sat phone. I was planning on getting a nice garmin like the Oregon or the 64st. Is the inreach explorer touch screen?

no, it isnt

Also is the inreach as nice as say the Oregon or 64st? The less weight the better so if the inreach explorer is a decent gps, I can go that route and maybe add the watch as others have mentioned...

dotman

WKR
Also is the inreach as nice as say the Oregon or 64st? The less weight the better so if the inreach explorer is a decent gps, I can go that route and maybe add the watch as others have mentioned...

Do you not have a smart phone? I’d still get an Inreach but phone will be better.

colonel00

WKR
I agree with others. An inReach along with a phone with a gps app can easily replace a stand along gps plus you have added communication abilities. A good GPS watch will only add to this as you can then navigate without having to check your phone all the time.

Blandry

WKR
I wish distress only beacons were cheaper. The inreach is a great option.

dog812

WKR
I have the spot beacon. I used to send a message everyday so the wife knew I was alive. Gave her piece of mind and a better sleep.
It used to be a great deal at $100 per year unlimited. Then last year they doubled the yearly price, $170 or something.. So now it collects dust. Can't justify it to send a message saying we're ok.
I guess the inreach will be my next purchase

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk