GPS Watches

Texguy02

FNG
Tossing around the idea of purchasing one. Is it worth it? If so what one. Looked at some Garmins and the Suunto

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Is the Garmin the one Aron tried this year that failed and prompted him to go with the Suunto? He mentioned something about it in one of his podcasts but I don't think he ever said which one it was.

Is the Garmin the one Aron tried this year that failed and prompted him to go with the Suunto? He mentioned something about it in one of his podcasts but I don't think he ever said which one it was.
I think so. He likes Suunto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I almost bought a Garmin 5x this year, but I ended up getting an InReach Explorer so I didn’t have the sat phone rental cost. I might get the Fenix 5x watch for next year. I’ll still take the InReach, and the watch will add redundancy with a few extra features.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had the Suunto Traverse Alpha for about a month now and used on 3 trips. I absolutely love it as far as the interface, but haven’t gotten a chance to depend on it too much for the gps. I’ve marked the four wheelers a few times this trip and seems to work good and always lead me back, but again haven’t had to really depend on it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Fenix 5X was awesome this past sept. I could quickly mark areas I wanted to go back to much faster and easier than using my 650T. Used it to back track trails in the pitch dark. Was kinda silly but fun to look over the days stats of steps taken, altitude gain and loss, and calories burned. Didn’t really need any of that for hunting but neat to look at drifting off to sleep. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Almost picked up a Suunto online with the sales going around but man do they have some terrible reviews! I'll have to look into the garmins.

Have the Fenix 3hr coming for Christmas.
She said that's all I get.............. lol

Just couldn't justify the 5 for my needs.
The display alone on the Garmin is a major selling point over the Suunto.

Will be a super nice redundant piece in my gear.

colonel00

WKR
I agree, the Fenix is fantastic. Get whatever your budget can afford. Yes, they are themed more for fitness (not a bad thing) but the usage in the outdoors is there and fantastic.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Had the Suunto and ended up selling it. Just didn't use the GPS very much and the interface/battery life was poor, plus they are bulky & just another gadget to deal with in the field. It was pretty handy for daily exercise.

Love my Garmin Fenix 3, it has saved my ass a couple of times. I went with garmin after reading countless reviews for the simplicity of use. It is definitely easy to use. Only issue I have ever had was hitting the top right button while tracking a hike. After quickly figuring out how to lock the screen, no more problem.

Jake

robie

WKR
The Fenix 3 HR has been on sale for $299. At that price it is hard to beat.

It comes with the Sapphire face or you have to go to the 5x which is nice but is currently $600.

For half the price its hard to justify the added features. Does anyone use the maps on the 5x?

GGFerrier

WKR
I cried a little on the 3, you must've cried all day on the 5
Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve cried quite a bit, but learned my lesson... sold the old to get the new.

Suunto Core - Suunto Ambit3 peak - Fenix 3 - Fenix 5x

GGFerrier

WKR
The Fenix 3 HR has been on sale for $299. At that price it is hard to beat.

It comes with the Sapphire face or you have to go to the 5x which is nice but is currently $600.

For half the price its hard to justify the added features. Does anyone use the maps on the 5x?

I use the maps all the time. But I don’t have a dedicated GPS other than the 5x. Better life is great and my solar panel recharges it in no time.

boom

WKR
I use the maps all the time. But I don’t have a dedicated GPS other than the 5x. Better life is great and my solar panel recharges it in no time.

yea..the backcountry recharge would be new uncharted territory for me.
i'm still dropping hints to the wife..hahah..

GGFerrier

WKR
yea..the backcountry recharge would be new uncharted territory for me.
i'm still dropping hints to the wife..hahah..

I look like a gypsy with all the stuff hanging off my pack when I’m recharging everything; GoPro, watch, headlamp, cellphone. Haha