Watch?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've always worn a Timex that I got from Walmart that only told time. I'm now wanting to get a watch that does that and has a barometer and shows altitude. I don't want it to be too bulky and must be easy on batteries.

With that being said, what's the best watch that meets these criteria?

Thanks

boom

WKR
i have a very old CASIO pathfinder that will probably be buried with me.

it is so tough!! i bet it is almost 17 years old. it is solar powered so i have never even thought about a battery. just an occasional sunbath for the watch and i have NEVER seen the battery indicator go below "H". and i worked in a dark tunnel for about 3 years.

i am on my second watch band..which if i had to pick something..the watchband is the achilles heel. you can only use that band..no aftermarket replacements. mine is the GAW1300 (i have that number memorized). when the band breaks again, i think it's game over for me.

the new models are not Pathfinders, but Protek or something..they look exactly the same. mine is also atomic clock, so the time is perfect to the nearest second. it syncs at night. i never mess with it.

twall13

WKR
I have a Casio that has an altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and compass. It's a little on the large side but it's been a great watch for me. The battery recharges via solar. I think it needs like 6 hours of sunlight every 6 months or something like that so the battery basically never dies if you wear it at all. Mine's held up well over the last 5 years or so. I think the model is a Pathfinder or something like that.

I don't have any experience with this particular model but I know Rockwell makes one that has the altimeter, barometer, etc. and likely comes in camo (realtree or highlander if I remember right) if that's at all important to you. My buddy is one of the company owners at Rockwell and always gives me a hard time that I don't wear his watch. What can I say, I had the Casio before I met him and it's worked well for me.

twall13

WKR
Just noticed Boom's post above and I agree about the watchband being a downside. It's not interchangeable and it's not the most comfortable band to me either (frequently pulls out my arm hairs).

nrh6.7

WKR
I have the same watch also, but didn't know the band isn't replaceable. I do agree it isn't the most comfortable, but not too bad for me.

watch.jpg

It is on the larger size...here's a photo.

Last edited:
Just went through that decision myself. After about a week of reviews and research I ordered the Casio PRG-270. For $110-$150 thought it was a reasonable choice. Its got compass, baro/alt/temp/5 alarms/etc solar powered and a lot of other features. Like it a lot so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the same watch also, but didn't know the band isn't replaceable. I do agree it isn't the most comfortable, but not too bad for me.

View attachment 62428

It is on the larger size...here's a photo.

The band on your watch should be replaceable, just with another Casio. I had that watch for sometime and changed the band out on it. You can find the bands on the Casio website or eBay usually.

AGPank

WKR
Casio has lots of great models. G-shocks can be addictive. I have one with temp, barometer, altimeter. Great watch. Solar and atomic clock sync.

Thought about spending a lot on a fancy watch many times and end back at practical Casio.

Last year I bought an Edifice series that’s syncs with your smartphone.

Solar power and a nice looking watch too.
e740f9a361547f5bc452d6784d2eeb6f.jpg

AGPank

WKR
Here’s the other one with features you mentioned.
fe3df916dcb5ee21b6d6df54fe964ccb.jpg

It’s GWN-1000b

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know if they’re still available, but several years ago I got a G-Shock Riseman and love it. It’s got the atomic clock feature and syncs everyday, is solar (haven’t changed a battery since getting it I think 7+ years ago), and has an altimeter, barometer, and temperature sensor. I hope to have it forever-it’s been fantastic.

Jeremy

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older suunto explorer watch. It’s the titanium version. I like it because it’s not huge, but has some nice features including compass, barometer, altimeter.

boom

WKR
pulled my watch out. going into the wilderness for a long weekend. i'm trying to wear it less and less, since it is getting so beat up. but it is still going strong!!

jan 17 2018 013.jpg

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sunnto Core and a Casio Pathfinder. I like them both at different times for different reasons. That being said, the Pathfinder is my go to beat around watch. The original band did not fit my wrist correctly.....it caused the watch to rotate to an odd position no matter how I adjusted it. I replaced the original band with a nato style band and never looked back. It was a great, inexpensive upgrade. If you do a search on the net there is plenty of information on it. Good luck with your search.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thanks for all of the advice. I bought a Casio Pro Trek with the solar battery.

boom

WKR
I replaced the original band with a nato style band and never looked back. It was a great, inexpensive upgrade. If you do a search on the net there is plenty of information on it. Good luck with your search.

DANG!! thanks for this!! i never new there was a retrofit available.

boom

WKR
I have a Sunnto Core and a Casio Pathfinder. I like them both at different times for different reasons. That being said, the Pathfinder is my go to beat around watch. The original band did not fit my wrist correctly.....it caused the watch to rotate to an odd position no matter how I adjusted it. I replaced the original band with a nato style band and never looked back. It was a great, inexpensive upgrade. If you do a search on the net there is plenty of information on it. Good luck with your search.

failed. not many options left that i could find. :(