Benchmade Altitude

samhelmer

FNG
I was super interested in this knife but that price point is tough. There are a ton of knives a lot cheaper and just as good of quality.

Well that’s tough to comment on the quality, since you haven’t actually seen this knife yet I’m guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
Honestly, it seems expensive for what it is. Also, I'd like to see an non-coated version, maybe at a cheaper price point.

I am happy to see a production knife like this from a great knife maker such as Benchmade. Should push the competition to follow suit . The price is steep as mentioned and I agree that s30v takes some time to touch up. Cant make everybody happy but I prefer 1095 or even the 154 cm that is used in the griptilian.

Lawnboi

WKR
I am happy to see a production knife like this from a great knife maker such as Benchmade. Should push the competition to follow suit . The price is steep as mentioned and I agree that s30v takes some time to touch up. Cant make everybody happy but I prefer 1095 or even the 154 cm that is used in the griptilian.

This one is s90v. Harder to sharpen than s30v from the sample of one from benchmade iv seen. I'll be passing on this one and honestly don't see what all the hype is about.

Beendare

WKR
This one is s90v. Harder to sharpen than s30v from the sample of one from benchmade iv seen. I'll be passing on this one and honestly don't see what all the hype is about.

^agreed. with all of the sharpening challenged folks out there this will be a problem.

Personally I want the best knife steel I can get- and this is going to be one of the best...but I like the Steep country Benchmade in S30v...orange handle...no reason to change.

Dobermann

WKR
Knifecenter's listing also says this knife comes with a First Lite Fusion Boltaron sheath (while Benchmade's own page lists Kydex): Benchmade 15200ORG Altitude Fixed 3.08" S90V Orange DLC Blade, Carbon Fiber and G10 Scales, First Lite Fusion Camo Boltaron Sheath - KnifeCenter

I've become a fan of having my utility gear in bright colors, and the idea of camo knives and essential gear in hunting contexts just seems silly. However, if there's now Fusion Kydex / Boltaron around, I guess we'll soon be seeing some interesting applications ...

Wouldn't the harder, higher quality steel require less sharpening? I would imagine you could get through an elk or two without having to resharpen the altitude blade. But then again, I'm no steel guru and I have been using havalons for several years.

Lawnboi

WKR
Wouldn't the harder, higher quality steel require less sharpening? I would imagine you could get through an elk or two without having to resharpen the altitude blade. But then again, I'm no steel guru and I have been using havalons for several years.

True a good hard steel should require less sharpening. And it very well might get through a few animals before needeing a touch up. However you have to really know your knife if it's the only one your taking and your counting on not having to sharpen. I know better than to take any of my hard stainless knives in a trip that may require sharpening cause I know what it takes to get them back to what I would call sharp.

2 steels in particular have given me a lot of fuss sharpening and they are both hard stainless steels. These steels illicit swear words even while I'm at home on the couch to get them to what I'd consider sharp. On a knife like this, that's coated I really don't see a need for stainless, but maybe that's what benchmade is going for.

^agreed. with all of the sharpening challenged folks out there this will be a problem.

Personally I want the best knife steel I can get- and this is going to be one of the best...but I like the Steep country Benchmade in S30v...orange handle...no reason to change.
Didn't the Born and Raised crew visit Benchmade, where they stated that Benchmade offers a free sharpening service for their knives for life. Maybe I misheard that.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

gelton

WKR
Didn't the Born and Raised crew visit Benchmade, where they stated that Benchmade offers a free sharpening service for their knives for life. Maybe I misheard that.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Yup they do...Have several griptilians but I sharpen them myself but if I wanted to I could send them in for free sharpening.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just sent my benchmade knives back for tune-up and sharpening. It's a free service. My s30v will and has processed a whole elk and deer without a touch up. I understand some people like to mess with thier knives I just like to get mine out and start cutting and send it in after the season for sharpening

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I agree, the current hunting knives are nice, I have a steep country and a hidden canyon but I'll still be getting this one, I don't think it will do anything my other knives wont but I just like it.

Just ordered the Saddle Mountain Skinner From Bench made. I wanted a little longer blade for camp duties as well. I was torn between the new ones not yet released and some of the other hunter options. Some of the blades were just too small in length for my needs.
I personally wanted a scales.

I didn't say it wasn't a well made knife. At $230 there are other options with the same quality that are cheaper. I like Benchmade and own a few but for a production knife the price is steep. Benchmade themselves offer a bunch of blades for a lot less with the same steel. It does look like a nice handling knife.

Last edited:

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
My son won the 1st knife (Oregon) from the born & raised Series. They just emailed him & we should receive it next week. He’s very excited to get it!!

CorbLand

WKR
My son won the 1st knife (Oregon) from the born & raised Series. They just emailed him & we should receive it next week. He’s very excited to get it!!

Thats awesome.

I was really interested in this knife when I first saw it and hope to get to play with one in the next little bit. Like others I was a little off put about the price, I was hoping for it to be more in the 150 range. I would like to see one built in s30v, that would help the price and s30v is more than enough steel for what I do.

Bully

FNG

That IS cool!! My son (Cody Murdered our last name, lol) was also up for that same knife. He will be receiving one of the Benchmade gift packs for being a runner up. We can't wait to see what is in it. We were just happy to win anything. Tell your son Congratulations!

I am really wanting one of those knives also, that price is hard to get past, but I will probably end up with one after I see more reviews.