Derlorme or Garmin Inreach?

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I dont have to worry about them not supporting the delorme model. Feeling like being generous to myself this christmas now.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inreach models added weather forecasts via a firmware update almost a year ago.

This is good to know, I have been considering getting one or the other and the lack of weather seemed a ding on the delorme unit. So with that in mind generally speaking the main difference in usability is the screen is a bit better on the garmin one to use as a GPS but aside from that (and the SOS button issue) does anyone else note a difference of consideration? I'm asking about the orange explorer units to be clear.

Also would tape over the SOS lock keep it from unlocking easily?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
This is good to know, I have been considering getting one or the other and the lack of weather seemed a ding on the delorme unit. So with that in mind generally speaking the main difference in usability is the screen is a bit better on the garmin one to use as a GPS but aside from that (and the SOS button issue) does anyone else note a difference of consideration? I'm asking about the orange explorer units to be clear.

I pair my iPhone to the InReach and only use it via Earthmate. If you are bringing a smartphone along anyway I have not found a reason to upgrade.

I also have no worries about accidental activations through the slider. But I suppose covering the cover would make it a little more difficult to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I borrowed a garmin one this fall, the pairing is certainly needed for the messaging part to be convenient. As for GPS for complex maps yeah also break out the phone (also nice to have detailed maps predownloaded on the phone). For general stuff though I want to just use the device since it might be shit weather and I don't want to dig out my phone (granted a ziplock bag works fine with touch screens) so the stand alone GPS ability is of some use. But I have to imagine the delorme screen isn't likely any worse than my PN40 delorme GPS that I've been using for years for basic navigation? IE I presume it shows enough topo info to be useful in route finding?

muddydogs

WKR

The weather is general at best. The format is good but the forecast is for the closest National Weather Service site which depending on your location the forecast might be good or way off. I know in one of my hunting areas I look at the forecasted temp and subtract at least 20 degrees due to the NWS site being in a valley where its always way warmer then were I hunt.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been reading on this a bit more. Can someone with the Delorme unit confirm what the maps screens look like currently? All the old info I found there isn't an actual map rather just way points and your track (if tracking) only. Is there a firmware update at all to have basic topo info in the background or is it still a waypoint/tracking map only on a blank background?

I've been reading on this a bit more. Can someone with the Delorme unit confirm what the maps screens look like currently? All the old info I found there isn't an actual map rather just way points and your track (if tracking) only. Is there a firmware update at all to have basic topo info in the background or is it still a waypoint/tracking map only on a blank background?

I just sold my Delorme in reach and it didn't have maps, I believe none of the delorme units have maps. But they do sync and pair with earthmate maps on your phone.

I opted to get the Garmin In reach Exp + so I could have a map on the unit, as well as my phone app. Not digging out the phone a lot is convenient in some weather scenarios. Especially when I forget to charge the phone, or had no sun for the Nomad to get my battery packs back up
:)

When a guy is 7 days in, it is nice to have certain features redundant, and maps is one of those.

dotman

WKR
I just sold my Delorme in reach and it didn't have maps, I believe none of the delorme units have maps. But they do sync and pair with earthmate maps on your phone.

I opted to get the Garmin In reach Exp + so I could have a map on the unit, as well as my phone app. Not digging out the phone a lot is convenient in some weather scenarios. Especially when I forget to charge the phone, or had no sun for the Nomad to get my battery packs back up
:)

When a guy is 7 days in, it is nice to have certain features redundant, and maps is one of those.

I believe the Delorme Inreach Explorer did have maps but they were not that great.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes I agree on the phone pairing issue, I am fine doing that if I want high quality mapping with layers but as a personal preference I require that I have a GPS unit (not relying on my phone) that has at least basic topo maps with basic known trails on it (IE the normal delorme topo maps that are on my PN40 for instance) so I can do basic navigation with that unit alone. Its sounding like the delorme explorer might not fit that need for me unless someone knows of more current info on them.

My Delorme (Red/Orange not yellow) only tracked and had way points- I don't remember any topo or maps at all.
Maybe I am just an idiot and missed it. I used the phone app with it..

I am glad I have the Garmin now and would also say for reasons that are relevant to my hunting scenarios, save and get the Garmin.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I am thinking for my uses I'd want the Garmin. I used one this season and liked its functionality as a moderate GPS and then paired with phone for messaging and good maps when needed. I didn't initially realize the delorme maps function was so behind the curve (for those users that wanted some legit GPS function beyond waypoint and tracks).