Derlorme or Garmin Inreach?

ks.snow

FNG
Any reason to be hesitant on getting the delorme over the garmin model? Can save $150 by getting the delorme since its on sale.

dotman

WKR
I’ve never once almost had the sos button on the delorme accidentally activate, be pretty hard to do really.

colersu22

WKR
I was hoping Garmin would add an SD card slot so I could use my OnXmaps chip, maybe next year they will add it. I still look at both option frequently since most areas I hunt I have spotty service.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Garmin. Love it. The maps are good and the Bluetooth to my phone works really well.

Do you have something else you need that costs $150?
Then get the Delorme and what ever else you need.

I had both and they are equally great for what they have and do.
You will be well off with either.

Had both and currently running the Garmin. Haven’t noticed a difference in service or “usability” with one mode over the other.

Spoke with Garmin about the continued support for the Delorme model and they told me it should be supported for “quite a while” and didn’t have any admin directives they were gonna stop supporting the Delorme models any time soon.

Id save the $150 if I were doing it all over again.

OP
K

ks.snow

FNG
Had both and currently running the Garmin. Haven’t noticed a difference in service or “usability” with one mode over the other.

Spoke with Garmin about the continued support for the Delorme model and they told me it should be supported for “quite a while” and didn’t have any admin directives they were gonna stop supporting the Delorme models any time soon.

Id save the $150 if I were doing it all over again.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I was only worried they would stop supporting the delorme services. Was a bit worried, but dont think I need to be. If I get 3 or so years out of it I will be happy.

530Chukar

WKR
I have the Delorme. Used it for a week in Colorado with the Delorme Earthmate App and it worked great. probably won't ever bring a dedicated GPS again after using the app. I always ran mine turned off and then turned it on in the evenings while back at camp so I never had an issue of accidental activation.

I’ve never once almost had the sos button on the delorme accidentally activate, be pretty hard to do really.

I thought so too......apparently it happens a bunch. Being that mine got triggered while attached to my pack, I’m at a loss for words on how. The new one is way more protected, I can tell you now why they would redesign it that way.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I thought so too......apparently it happens a bunch. Being that mine got trigger while attached to my pack, I’m at a loss for words on how. The new is way more protected, I can’t image why they would redesign it that way.

Oh wow, so what happened? Did SAR start to get ready to come to you? I’m assuming in text you were able to tell them it was an accidental activation.

Oh wow, so what happened? Did SAR start to get ready to come to you? I’m assuming in text you were able to tell them it was an accidental activation.

I was coming off the mountain to restock, move spots, and out run a storm. I have a carabiner on mine. A lot of time I just clip it to my pack shoulder strap and let it slide down close to belt. Any way long story it was a 3 hour hike out. Didn’t realize I had tripped it until I got to truck and dropped pack. It’s was blowing up with red alerts, at that point I realized what had happened and canceled it. They where just about to head my way. They saw I was moving and headed back to the trail head, also wife informed them I was also with hunting a friend, so they thought it might be false alarm.

Once cancelled I hauled arse to get to cell phone range to calm wife down. I will say hats off to them, my wife was pretty shaken up but she said they did a hell of a job explaining my location, my movements and keeping her calm. They had me honed in on. Speed, distance to trail head Etc. Already knew the ranches to cut through whole 9 yards. Fact I was moving and with a friend they figured it was a false alarm(apparently happens a lot per them).

I’m a customer for life now,

Hindsight I don’t know how I triggered it, only thing I can figure is rubbed in belt, doesn’t seem plausible though.

Actually there are several reported incidents of this type of unintended activation cuz of the design.

dotman

WKR
I was coming off the mountain to restock, move spots, and out run a storm. I have a carabiner on mine. A lot of time I just clip it to my pack shoulder strap and let it slide down close to belt. Any way long story it was a 3 hour hike out. Didn’t realize I had tripped it until I got to truck and dropped pack. It’s was blowing up with red alerts, at that point I realized what had happened and canceled it. They where just about to head my way. They saw I was moving and headed back to the trail head, also wife informed them I was also with hunting a friend, so they thought it might be false alarm.

Once cancelled I hauled arse to get to cell phone range to calm wife down. I will say hats off to them, my wife was pretty shaken up but she said they did a hell of a job explaining my location, my movements and keeping her calm. They had me honed in on. Speed, distance to trail head Etc. Already knew the ranches to cut through whole 9 yards. Fact I was moving and with a friend they figured it was a false alarm(apparently happens a lot per them).

I’m a customer for life now,

Hindsight I don’t know how I triggered it, only thing I can figure is rubbed in belt, doesn’t seem plausible though.

That’s pretty freakin cool how they reacted!

Except I felt like that guy, But yes, impressed to say the least.

The new Garmin button takes more effort to trip.

Dobermann

WKR
This comparison from Outdoor Gear Lab: Best Satellite Messengers and Locator Beacons | OutdoorGearLab

Garmin Buys DeLorme: Differences between the Garmin InReach and DeLorme Inreach

Differences
- Garmin version has a much larger screen — 1.75" x 1.5" vs. 1.4" x 1.2"
- Delorme power button is easy to accidentally press — must press another button to turn on, this makes it mostly safe from accidentally being t- urned on
- Same on-screen menu, Delorme has a social media button instead of a weather button
- No weather forecast on Delorme
- Garmin inReach Explorer+ can get a 3-day weather forecast that is updated via GPS location

Similarities
- both use the same app
- both should be supported for many years to come
- both use the same operating system
- both acquire satellites and send messages at the same rates

Their standalone review of the InReach is here: Garmin inReach Explorer+ Review | OutdoorGearLab

muddydogs

WKR
On the old Delorme SE units you have to make sure the slide lock button is pushed all the way to the right until it clicks. Just covering the red line is not locked. If the unit is off and the SOS button is held for 5 seconds the unit will turn on and go straight to SOS mode. Some of the slide locks are hard to get locked so any time I pick up a unit I give the SOS button a quick push to see if it has any give to it, if it feels like its moving the slide probably isn't locked since when the slide is locked the SOS button is rock solid. We have had 3 false SOS's in the last 2 years due to the SOS lock slide not being engaged all the way. One of the SOS's end with the local search and rescue meeting the crew at there truck as they were headed home for the day, they didn't know that for the last couple hours the InReach had been sending an SOS.