Tipi and stove questions

I guess I will get right to it...

I am pretty much sold on the tipi with stove shelter idea for some of my backpack mule deer hunts here in Montana. I am just having an issue trying to decide which company and shelter to go with.

From my research I have found that the Titanium Goat Vertex 7.5 and the seek outside large stove may be the way that I want to go.

Is there anyone out there that has the Titanium Goat 7.5? I can not seem to find any real world pictures out there with people using this tipi. I plan on using this with a max of 4 people, but more than likely will be 3 or less most of the time.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or pictures of a similar size Tipi in use??

Anything helps!

oldgoat

WKR
I have the vertex 5 and a Sawtooth. You definitely want them to be advertised to sleep at least twice as many people as your max you plan on actually sleeping. With a stove, gear and wood pile maybe more! You don't want to be too close to those stoves when your sleeping because something will get ruined or worse!

FreeRange

WKR
I have a vertex 7.5 I don’t have many great pictures of it but can say I would only count on 3 plus a small stove and minimal gear or 4 without a stove. I really like it my only beef with it vs a seek outside is there are far less guy out points on the TI goat which do help a lot from an useable space standpoint. I feel the goat is better at shedding wind by its shape than an equally large SO but when you factor in all the tieouts on the SO they are equal but the SO requires a lot more stakes. The Goat tipis are lighter by a good margin I believe especially when you factor in the necessary stakes. If you’re ordering custom you can add guyout points but they are not on seams so probably shouldn’t get over zealous tightening them down. Both great companies, i’ve Spent more time in an SO 8 man which is noticeably bigger but when it came time to buy my own I went with the TI goat 7.5 and if our group is big I bring a second smaller tipi for additional sleeping room. Pm me your email address or cell and i’ll send you some pics

Last edited:

4ester

WKR
I’d agree with FreeRange. 3 with a small stove, or 4 with a small amount of gear. It seems to shed wind pretty well. The guyouts add a bit of space, but not much. I’ve had mine up a few times, but still have a tough time getting the pitch perfect. I think it’s the way the ripstop is sewed around the tent instead of straight up and down, but I’m no tent expert.

4c268f3aa3714b2ea091a4fc0c101224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any particular reason you aren't considering the WiFi stoves from TiGoat? Those things are extremely nice.

OP
RMRForester15
Thanks for the picture! The lack of guy outs are one thing that has me concerned, but I figured I could get something sown on or even ask TiGoat if they do anything custom like that.

Do you have the liner for your set up?

OP
RMRForester15
Any particular reason you aren't considering the WiFi stoves from TiGoat? Those things are extremely nice.

I have considered them, and I really do like them, especially because of the weight. My only thing I dont like is that i feel like the door system is too small and the dampers are a little funky. Its really hard to make a decision on which one to get with out ever seeing one first hand.

I do have to say though, that I have never seen anyone cussing Tigoat stoves. So I guess that says something.

4ester

WKR
Thanks for the picture! The lack of guy outs are one thing that has me concerned, but I figured I could get something sown on or even ask TiGoat if they do anything custom like that.

Do you have the liner for your set up?

They may be able to add some guyouts. It’s a small shop.

I do not have a liner.

I’m running their 16” cylinder stover and medium WiFi stoves in my setups. Both seem to work ok. The WIFI is a pretty slick unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
We use a Seek 8 man and XL stove but are mainly accessing camp locations by UTV not backpacking with it. 2 guys, cots, clothes bags, stove, and wood pile take up quite a bit of space. This was our first year using it. We had 15" of snow the first night of our hunt and it decreased our usable space and made us pack more stuff inside too. We were hurrying into our hunting area knowing a storm was coming and wanting to get camp set before it hit. We used a shop broom and scoop shovel I'd brought knowing the weather forecast about 6 times during the night to clear the snow load off the tipi so we didn't have to worry about it collapsing. The snow we didn't get removed quick enough froze down against the tipi and decreased our floor space a bit but not enough to hurt anything. Condensation was more of an issue with the bottom completely sealed with ice though.