Tried and True

DavePwns

WKR
Instead if buying, selling, and trading gear, I am the kind of guy that likes to buy a quality item and stick with it until it it's useless or I loose it when hunting / packing. What are some specific gear items/models that you have found to be solid and straight up reliable?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Leupold vx2 2-7/3-9. Had a few problems with higher end models, but pawn shop, used, or purchased already on a gun, never had an issue with these 2. Knock on wood.......

Dobermann

WKR
Some of my faves:

- Kifaru packs
- Zeiss Victory binos
- Scarpa full-leather boots (although too narrow in the forefoot ... but they last well!)
- Leupold scope lens caps ... never thought I'd love something as simple as a lens cap so much ...
- Macpac and Hilleberg tents
- Source water bladders
- Vargo titanium water bottles
- First Lite Obsidians ... haven't had them for long enough, but they're superior to the Kanab 2.0s in many ways
- AGC bino harnesses
- CRKT Ken Onion Homefront Flipper folding knife - field-strippable without tools
- Leatherman Wave - little heavy for backpacking, but can do so much. Mine's going on 20 years.

Just for a start!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am the kind of guy that likes to buy a quality item and stick with it until it it's useless or I loose it when hunting / packing.

Everything I have that falls into this category has been discontinued. It's pretty much a sure thing for me. If I like it, and find that it's the best there is for my purposes.......it will be discontinued very soon. Or the very least, it will be changed so that it's no longer what it was and becomes useless to me.

PSE bow Full Throttle- even with all the hype each year with new bows, I just cant break away from the performance this bow affords me
Next season will be 5 years

My newest stuff that has proven itself though they only have a few years orless with them:
Kifaru Duplex Frame
Seek Outside Redcliffe
Lite Outdoors Stove
Swaro SLC

I have no doubt these items will be long lasting

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
PSE bow Full Throttle- even with all the hype each year with new bows, I just cant break away from the performance this bow affords me
Next season will be 5 years

My newest stuff that has proven itself though they only have a few years orless with them:
Kifaru Duplex Frame
Seek Outside Redcliffe
Lite Outdoors Stove
Swaro SLC

I have no doubt these items will be long lasting
I agree, people that spend a grand a year on a new bow every spring blows my mind if what you have gets the job done

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
Leupold vx2 2-7/3-9. Had a few problems with higher end models, but pawn shop, used, or purchased already on a gun, never had an issue with these 2. Knock on wood.......

Absolutely agree. I have a VX2 3-9 on both of my Tikkas. They haven't bumped in over a decade.

mcseal2

WKR
-15x Swaros on an Outdoorsmans tripod & head
-Outdoorsmans saddle type rifle rest. Makes my tripod multi-purpose and it's darn steady.
-Leica Geovid HD-B binos. Rangefinder and darn good binos in one handy package, no issues with either since I bought them
-Exo 3500
-Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade knife. A sturdy knife I can use like the newer versions with throw-away blades, swap them out and sharpen at home instead of packing sharpening gear
-Harvey King Personal knife. For when I want a fixed blade instead of the Gerber folder, or anytime I don't mind the 6oz of the knife and sheath.
-Kennetrek mountain extreme boots with Lathrop & Sons insoles. I have taken care of these boots and am on my 4th season with them. I love these boots the replacement cost is just high enough I want them to last. To help them last when I don't need the ankle support or waterproofness I've been wearing Salomon 4D GTX boots.
-Winchester M70 Classic actions. I have several rifles built on them now that I use, mainly a 264WM and 300WM. I have just never had an issue with any failure of any kind with them in the field. I'm sure this can be said of most rifles, these are just what I use. I love the 3 position safety that doesn't rub into the fire position against my pack when carrying a RH rifle over my left shoulder.

boom

WKR
my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD offroad.

only downside..i drive to hunts ALL THE TIME. i put 5000 miles on it last month. now i need to take it to AZ for winter deer. and at camp..if there is a mystery, and questionable road that needs exploring..yup. i drive.

tried and TRUE..or is that TIRED and true? :) my wife thinks i need a new truck, but nope. i'm sticking to it, and the no payments (since 2008) as long as i can.

I think most my gear falls into that category. I'll research until I'm blue in the face to make sure I'm getting the best thing for my uses. It's tempting to upgrade or replace, but I always come back to 'guys were doing this naked or with buckskin clothes and sharp sticks for a long time... this thing will be ok'. I try to spend wisely on things that I truly need and might better ensure safety when I'm alone in the backcountry.

Here's a few things that I've been continually impressed with:
Arcteryx Atom LT
Beyond Tactical Rig light pants
2016 Hoyt Defiant 34
Tikka rifles (7mag and 6.5CM) w/SWFA scopes
Mountain Hardware sleeping bags
Vortex Diamondback 10x42.. I know they are low end, but they've worked great for me and have held up well.
Kifaru packs
Spyderco and Strider pocket knives (in general, not hunting specific)

boom

WKR
tried and true is confusing to me.

take a knife. i have some great knives. i wouldnt put them on the list because they simply do the knife thing. short of snapping in half..what is the failure? doing exactly what they do, wont garnish any wonderment from me. same with my packs. it's a pack. sits on my back, moderately comfy, carries things. i dont gush about it being a pack.

i dont have any gear that performed above and beyond..cept my truck. and that is because it is a mechanical thing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
-Kifaru Packs
-Leupold scopes
-AGC bino harness
-Kuiu attack pants
-sitka timberline pants
-Kimber rifles
-Talley lightweight rings
-havalon knives
-benchmade hidden canyon hunter knife
-hilleberg solo tent
-kifaru LPP
-

LandYacht

WKR
tried and true is confusing to me.

take a knife. i have some great knives. i wouldnt put them on the list because they simply do the knife thing. short of snapping in half..what is the failure? doing exactly what they do, wont garnish any wonderment from me. same with my packs. it's a pack. sits on my back, moderately comfy, carries things. i dont gush about it being a pack.

i dont have any gear that performed above and beyond..cept my truck. and that is because it is a mechanical thing.

I’d say there is a huge difference from a knife that doesn’t hold its edge versus one that you don’t even have to touch up while deboning an elk.

Same goes for a pack that you can load 100 plus pounds in and walk like an upright person versus a pack that leaves you hunched over and wishing for a mule by the time you’ve walked a mile with a 100 pounds.

Put me down for my Western Mountaineering bags.

Alpha glass

Kifaru packs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I’d say there is a huge difference from a knife that doesn’t hold its edge versus one that you don’t even have to touch up while deboning an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i kinda think any knife should be able to get thru an elk. my Mora got thru an elk. it did exactly what it was supposed to do as expect.

there are fails..but i dont consider a sharp knife a success..just status quo.

by your logic, all of our gear is tried and true. like i said, maybe i dont understand the terminology.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
i kinda think any knife should be able to get thru an elk. my Mora got thru an elk. it did exactly what it was supposed to do as expect.

there are fails..but i dont consider a sharp knife a success..just status quo.

by your logic, all of our gear is tried and true. like i said, maybe i dont understand the terminology.

I think people are so used to buying something they EXPECT to be excellent- I.e. durability, performance, longevity, quality etc only to find out their expectations are not met, or the item falls drastically short of the way it was advertised.

When people buy something nowadays (insert old man leaning on porch saying "they don't make em like they used to" ) and the item is actually made of quality construction, exceeds performance expectations, is durable, easy to use, a good value etc. I would say it probably then earns the title "tried and true"

or else I don't know either and we are both in the same boat...

Mike.

For myself , tried and true, ill add:

Zeiss scopes ( conquest and Terra )
Hanwag boots
Outdoor edge razor knife
Smartwool merino products
Sako rifles

Ill add to the dissapointments / avoid list:
Vortex scopes ( diamondback and Viper FFP HSLR 4-16)
any type of chemical attractant
Primos calls

Last edited:

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet thread.

Ill try not to repeat what people have already said.

Kifaru Sawtooth
Seek Outside box stove
Lowa Tibet Pro (old version)
Dark Energy Battery Pack
Green Superfeet
Kirkland Signature Outdoor Trail Sock
US made Mystery Ranch Nice Frame
Life Proof Phone cases (they only last a year but they are worth the annual purchase)

Things to avoid
Big agnes inflatable pads
Lowa Renegades
Salomon Quest 4D boots
Barnes TSX bullets

Tried and true:

McHale backpack
Marmot Hydrogen down sleeping bag
X-therm sleeping pad
MSR Reactor stove
RBros custom rifle (LW Hunter in 300 win mag)

Everything I have that falls into this category has been discontinued. It's pretty much a sure thing for me. If I like it, and find that it's the best there is for my purposes.......it will be discontinued very soon. Or the very least, it will be changed so that it's no longer what it was and becomes useless to me.

So true. I've got the the point that if I find gear that I really love, I buy extras, because the company will either go out of business, discontinue the product, or "improve" it and make it worse.