Not happy with Canyon Coolers

TL/DR version:
Canyon sent me a piss-poor cooler and gave me piss-poor service.

Long version:
I really wanted to own a Canyon Cooler. I ordered one through Amazon when they went on sale for BF (I had a bunch of credit after I returned a Yeti Hopper I got for my b-day). When I opened up the package something didn't look right. The lid appeared to be warped, the front sealing lip was not straight (making a good seal difficult), and the lid was off center about a 1/4". The fit and finish was definitely subpar. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the quality of the cooler that has a $350 price tag.

I call them and shortly after email pictures of the defects hoping to make a warranty claim (as instructed by the manual). I never hear another word from them. In the meantime, I'm getting nervous that I'm going to be stuck with a crappy $350 cooler. I begin a return with amazon in order to see what the return shipping would be if I have to eat the cost (probably $50-75). I cancel the return when the info was unavailable. I email Canyon 3 days later and get this:

"It is not the normal fit or finish of our product but once the return is requested, your intentions are in black and white. We didn’t get a chance to help before the return was requested. Our products have a high level of fit and finish equal to or better than our competitors and our warranty is better than anyone in the business. We never got a chance to make it right with you before you requested the return. Please follow amazons rules and communicate with us through the amazon marketplace."

What intentions??

Canyon decided to have me return the cooler to them through Amazon rather than deal with my cooler as a warranty issue. The first page on the manual says "Do not return cooler. Contact Canyon for warranty issues". Even Amazon said the return authorization (that I cancelled) was in their hands. They could have dealt with my cooler as a warranty issue, got me a new cooler, and this post would be raving about how freaking great Canyon Coolers are. I'll be rocking a Yeti or Engel this year.

Sounds like a crappy communication problem on their end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

scsc

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about Canyon but own a Pelican for about 3 years now. Hands down one of my best purchases for extended use. I still use an old Igloo Marine for weekends, up to 3 days because of the substantial difference in weight. I used the Pelican for 30 day trips, 2 summers in a row. I am in Canada however temps reached very high 90's for multiple days in a row on both trips. I had to restock with ice once during each trip. They are that efficient and well worth the cost if you have the need. I would have had to re-ice 10 times with the Igloo Marine

Looks like their inclination is to first find a way to kick the can down the road before accepting responsibility. There are lots of great coolers out there these days. No reason to buy one from a company that doesn’t back you. When the products are so similar, the only difference is customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
This is disappointing to hear. I have owned a Canyon Cooler for about 2 years now and I love that thing. Fit and finish is great and it was the best value I could find based on my research. That customer service experience does seem less than stellar. Have you tried calling them to talk to a person directly and see if you can work through the miscommunication? I've generally found that talking with someone directly clears up a lot of confusion that can happen with the delays in written communication.

If Amazon is an authorized retail outlet for Canyon Coolers....

Suppose there is some type of agreement between the 2 parties in which...because you initiated a return request with Amazon...it must be completed through Amazon? I'm thinking there's more to the process than meets the eye. Maybe.

OP
S

Suppose there is some type of agreement between the 2 parties in which...because you initiated a return request with Amazon...it must be completed through Amazon? I'm thinking there's more to the process than meets the eye. Maybe.

Canyon was the seller through Amazon. If there was an issue, communicate that to me instead of shutting down the conversation. Amazon contacted Canyon about the return asking them for guidance. The ball was 100% in their court.

All this was a shock to me as I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with smaller companies like Canyon.

sndmn11

WKR

Bingo, Amazon is the conduit of purchase, and a return was requested via Amazon, so it would seem logical that they ask you to communicate with them through Amazon and there are likely contractual agreements that such takes place.

OP
S
Found this on the Amazon page this morning. Canyon's response is an outright lie. I have the emails showing they got my initial request for warranty help.

1 out of 5 stars

See my review I posted. Product was sub par and the warranty rep was less than helpful. I did everything on my end. Canyon decided to not have a satisfied custo... Read more
By Mike R on December 12, 2017.

A return was requested before we where ever contacted. We tried to help but once the return was pre approved by amazon, it was out of our hands.
By Canyon Coolers on December 14, 2017.

OP
S
This is disappointing to hear. I have owned a Canyon Cooler for about 2 years now and I love that thing. Fit and finish is great and it was the best value I could find based on my research. That customer service experience does seem less than stellar. Have you tried calling them to talk to a person directly and see if you can work through the miscommunication? I've generally found that talking with someone directly clears up a lot of confusion that can happen with the delays in written communication.

I usually agree with this, but I wanted to be able to document the communication so there was no ambiguity about who said what.

dotman

WKR
This is the complete opposite of Service I’ve received, I do wonder if the Amazon link is what’s creating this. With Amazons return policy I sure once that was initiated the ball started moving and Canyon probably has to return cash received depending on your choices you make with Amazon. I have a feeling we’ll see more issues of this nature now that Amazon is such a popular platform.

If it was me I would be working with Amazon since a return was started. Also if I wanted a replacement I would work with them as well.

My guess as to why Canyon was slow to respond, it’s a busy time of the year for a businesses let alone small ones, not giving them an excuse just stating that could be the issue for them as well.

OP
S
If it was me I would be working with Amazon since a return was started. Also if I wanted a replacement I would work with them as well.

My guess as to why Canyon was slow to respond, it’s a busy time of the year for a businesses let alone small ones, not giving them an excuse just stating that could be the issue for them as well.

Amazon made a request directly to Canyon to cancel the return. I've cancelled returns with different sellers before with no issue at all.

I understand it's busy, but they made zero effort to help. Then, they lie on their feedback page. Makes no sense...

dotman

WKR
Amazon made a request directly to Canyon to cancel the return. I've cancelled returns with different sellers before with no issue at all.

I understand it's busy, but they made zero effort to help. Then, they lie on their feedback page. Makes no sense...

Man that does suck. Have you contacted Amazon since?

I have a canyon cooler and it’s been a hell of a cooler. I honestly haven’t dealt with their costumer service. I’ll buy another cooler from canyon.

Jackalope

FNG
They’re local to me. If you want to put my name on the shipping label instead, I’ll take it down there and throw it through the front window for you. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, any half decent company would’ve handled it whether or not you filed a return request through amazon. It would t have taken any more effort than their passive aggressive response. They won’t be getting business from me.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Great company so far in all of my dealings. I like their coolers better than my yeti and Atlas. Looks like since you tried to return it thru amazon, they want you to continue with Amazon. I would have sent them another email letting them know of your intentions to find out what return shipping was before I would have filed a return with Amazon. It is the busy season and some communications fall thru the cracks. Good luck with your return.