Multi tools??

frankrb3

WKR
I carry a fixed or folding knife on my hip at all times for general duty. And for the past couple years I have been carrying fix it stix. There are a couple of things I really like about them:

Cool tool. Kind of expensive but what isn't $100 these days? I'd like to add a set to my kit. Thanks for pointing these out.

Cool tool. Kind of expensive but what isn't $100 these days? I'd like to add a set to my kit. Thanks for pointing these out.
I think I paid about $40 to get the tool and a handful of bits. Then maybe $5-10 on additional specific bits I needed. In the long run that was a lot cheaper than getting 3-4 specific tools. Plus they are a lot more usable than a crappy Leatherman screw driver.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i never realized all the different leatherman options. whoa..my Fuse is "old school" for sure.

i own the very first leatherman that came out. i never use it much. it was my stepdads and i grabbed it from the donation pile when he passed away.

i kinda want a Charge Tii but damn..that this is damn near "custom knife money"

What sold me in a multi tool was the solo hunter episode where Remi was hunting in Africa and had to use his pliers to pull out a huge thorn in his leg. I’m not sure he would have gotten it out without them. The pliers are the main attraction to a multi tool to me. It’s one of the tools that would be hard to replicate with something else in the back country. With that be said I do t think I’ve ever used my Leatherman Rebar for anything lol. It’s there’s in case I ever get a huge thorn in my leg though hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
What sold me in a multi tool was the solo hunter episode where Remi was hunting in Africa and had to use his pliers to pull out a huge thorn in his leg. I’m not sure he would have gotten it out without them. The pliers are the main attraction to a multi tool to me. It’s one of the tools that would be hard to replicate with something else in the back country. With that be said I do t think I’ve ever used my Leatherman Rebar for anything lol. It’s there’s in case I ever get a huge thorn in my leg though hahaha.

Rinella is always sawing thru some animal with his..

gah..i miss having cable TV.

gelton

WKR
Rinella is always sawing thru some animal with his..

gah..i miss having cable TV.

You arent missing much...he isnt on Sportsmans channel anymore not sure why. They are playing reruns but you can get the same reruns on Netflix now.

I believe I watched the solo hunter Episode on YouTube. I don’t have any hunting channels. Back to multi tools, I never use the blade on mine so I always have one razor sharp blade but I guess with the new generation of replaceable blade knives that’s not so important anymore. An extra saw blade could come in handy as mentioned earlier. I would like to here more about the night spent in the pine boughs. I bet that sucked.

frankrb3

WKR
I think I paid about $40 to get the tool and a handful of bits. Then maybe $5-10 on additional specific bits I needed. In the long run that was a lot cheaper than getting 3-4 specific tools. Plus they are a lot more usable than a crappy Leatherman screw driver.

Gotcha, I was looking at the kits with the special bits which cost about $112. $40 for the two stix and a few basic bits sounds reasonable to me.

Dobermann

WKR
i kinda want a Charge Tii but damn..that this is damn near "custom knife money"

boom - you can pick them up cheaper from places like Cutlery Shoppe (who are also good people), and Knifecenter, especially when they have sales.

But if the Charge appeals, check out the Wave - almost all the same features, and lighter to boot. BlackOvis had some on special recently for about $60. I even got lucky some years back at a Costco and got some clearance clamshell-package deal that had a Leatherman with a Maglite for about $50 ... wishing I'd bought a ton of them to just give away as gifts!

gumbl3

WKR
i personally hate multi tools. I'm of the mind set that if you want a pair of pliers, get a good pair of pliers.

But.... I do have a leatherman juice s2 that has found it's way into my pack. I really only use it for getting a grip on havalon blades but it's nice to know that paired with a few allen wrenches I can make quite a few field repairs. I don't have use for a saw, the havalon does all I need, so the smaller leatherman is all I need.

WKR
i personally hate multi tools. I'm of the mind set that if you want a pair of pliers, get a good pair of pliers.

But.... I do have a leatherman juice s2 that has found it's way into my pack. I really only use it for getting a grip on havalon blades but it's nice to know that paired with a few allen wrenches I can make quite a few field repairs. I don't have use for a saw, the havalon does all I need, so the smaller leatherman is all I need.
^I carry a set of hemostats in my kill kit for changing blades^

Only multi tool I'd consider carrying is one of the old Leatherman Crunch's. It had a vice grips, which is basically a third hand when you're all alone and trying to fix something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I found an old PSTII on Ebay reasonable, I got it bought. If it's as light as the Skeletool and has more tools I'd use it might make it into my Alaska kit for next September. Then I won't be moving my Wave into my hunting gear and having to find it again when I get home and go back to work.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just got a leather man wingman to replace an older basic model that misteriously disappeared.

So far, I really like it.

boom

WKR
boom - you can pick them up cheaper from places like Cutlery Shoppe (who are also good people), and Knifecenter, especially when they have sales.

But if the Charge appeals, check out the Wave - almost all the same features, and lighter to boot. BlackOvis had some on special recently for about $60. I even got lucky some years back at a Costco and got some clearance clamshell-package deal that had a Leatherman with a Maglite for about $50 ... wishing I'd bought a ton of them to just give away as gifts!

thanks!!

You guys must be luckier than me. I don’t hunt or fish or spend as much time in the outdoors as much as most people on this forum but I can’t think of year where I haven’t tried to do a field repair on something. My multitool seems to be the go to for that. Pulling shotgun shells out of a breach, tighten something on a bow, fix a fishing rod, boat, something.

I found an old PSTII on Ebay reasonable, I got it bought. If it's as light as the Skeletool and has more tools I'd use it might make it into my Alaska kit for next September. Then I won't be moving my Wave into my hunting gear and having to find it again when I get home and go back to work.

let me know what you think of the PST II. it was my first leatherman years ago when it came out so i've got a soft spot for it but i've owned a bunch of models since then and really do prefer it. it's lighter and more compact. compared to the wave you're basically giving up the saw and the ability to open it with one hand. unless you're carrying around the full kit with a wave i don't see the point in the exchangeable bits. lose the bit and there goes your screwdriver.

twall13

WKR
I've tried to like multi tools but I think most of us just fall back on habits. Even when I carry one I don't use it much because I'm used to using the stuff I've carried for years. I bought a Leatherman Skeletool as it has the tools I thought I'd use and none of the things I know I won't. I do carry and use it occasionally but I think I'd get more use out of it if it had spring loaded pliers. The shape of the Skeletool actually feels nice in my hand when using the knife. The design makes for an uncomfortable use of the pliers, however, since they aren't spring loaded. The design of the bit system means I can leave one handle out in an L shape and get more torque. I do wish it would accept standard bits so I could customize what I bring and actually use bits that fit the intended use and don't strip screws, etc.

I've always carried a folder pocket knife and always have a Victorinox knife on my keychain. I've just grown used to accomplishing most tasks with those tools (opening packages, trimming nails, unjamming a gun, trimming leuko tape, etc.). If I only carried a multi tool I might use it more but I refuse to take the Victorinox off my keys as it's saved my bacon many times. With that in mind, I'm considering moving towards more purpose built tools. I like the look of the fix it sticks posted above. Hemostats, or perhaps just a small pair of pliers will likely work better for me than having a multitool as it won't be a replacement for my Tyto and fixed blade anyway.

I guess everyone has their preferences and we just have to find what works for us.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
The more I look at the signal the more I think I may get it and replace my buck and my havalon both with it as long as I can keep a good edge on the blade.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm in the group of never taking one backpacking. I carried one once. Didn't use it. And honestly can't think of when I would have needed one, talking specifically backpacking.

Most backpacking related gear repair is done with tape, thread and a needle or cord, from what I normally break.