Multi tools??

jolemons

WKR
I carry one of the mini versions. I think it's a Gerber Dime with knife pliers and scissors all about the size of a chapstick. I use it to replace blades on my havalon, cut the top off mountain house meals, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
i personally hate multi tools. I'm of the mind set that if you want a pair of pliers, get a good pair of pliers.

Yep. I carried a Wave around for a long time in the backcountry and never once used it. When I have used them around the house they are awkward compared to a real tool. And the Wave is heavy. I carry a specific tool kit that I need for hunting, a knife, and tweezers for spines/slivers.

mcseal2

WKR
let me know what you think of the PST II. it was my first leatherman years ago when it came out so i've got a soft spot for it but i've owned a bunch of models since then and really do prefer it. it's lighter and more compact. compared to the wave you're basically giving up the saw and the ability to open it with one hand. unless you're carrying around the full kit with a wave i don't see the point in the exchangeable bits. lose the bit and there goes your screwdriver.

I like the PST II. I carried it on the ranch for a while here to get some use on it. I haven't missed the saw blade yet and it is much thinner and a little lighter. My postage scale has the Wave at 8.5oz and the PST II at 5.3oz. I like the Wave better around the ranch with it's little more comfortable handle when using pliers and easier to access blades. That said, I'm not spending much time using a multi-tool on a hunt and the PST II does everything I might need it to just fine. It's going to Alaska next fall instead of the Wave. Thanks for tipping me off to this model guys.

So After reading this thread, I got interested in the signal and ordered it. Cool tool. Hammer feature and the wrench socket were interesting. But really think the sharpener and fero rod would be better as separate items, perhaps on the sheath. The lack of scissors was a deal breaker so I returned it.

Back to my wave until something else comes along to give me the itch.

topher89

WKR
I go back and forth on it. Sometimes I bring it and sometimes I don't. If I bring it, I have it and a fixed blade. If I don't, its a pocket knife and a fixed blade.

When I use the extra tools, I always think "could I have done this without the multi-tool?" and sometimes, the answer is yes. The pliers are great though if fly fishing is in the mix.

mcseal2

WKR
So After reading this thread, I got interested in the signal and ordered it. Cool tool. Hammer feature and the wrench socket were interesting. But really think the sharpener and fero rod would be better as separate items, perhaps on the sheath. The lack of scissors was a deal breaker so I returned it.

Back to my wave until something else comes along to give me the itch.

PST II has scissors and you can find them used on Ebay if that fits your needs.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I managed to put hands on the signal and backed out myself on getting it. Just not what I thought it was for the price. The PST 2 may deserve a closer look

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ok so in the original post I mentioned that I carry a folding knife with a guy hook (drop point) and a havalon. Was debating going to a multi tool only.... Well tonight I made a discovery....

Havalon multi tool.

I'd never heard about this and just happened across it in a sportsmans warehouse. I then found out they have some new style blades i didn't know about. Thicker blades, blunt tip blades with a more of a drop point style, saws and even detachable gut hooks.

QUESTION IS

has anyone laid hands on one? I cant find a weight on them and am curious if they are solidly built or not. It's pretty minimal but with the new blade options I could easily have a lot of the bases covered I've been looking into...

Not a bad idea looking into possibly just using the havalon with a variety of blades . Ive yet to do this . What I have always used that works for me is 1 real solid but lighter weight / smaller fixed blade such as an Izula 2 razor sharp and a light dmt credit card size sharpener that I can also touch up broadheads on. I just added a Tyto with a few different style blades to the kit to try out the idea but have yet to use it.

jolemons

WKR
I like separate small multi for changing blades. I'm very careful about cutting myself in the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Good point about getting cut. Those blades cut deep and once you have a legit deep laceration it simply changes the trip at that point. Sucks.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I've heard a lot of guys talk about using pliers to change the blades, haven't had to go that route yet but that was my one thought as well about it all be combined.

Also saw they have a knife with a standard blade and the havalon blade as well. It looked a little oversized so I think the weight may be more than what my 2 knives weigh combined

mcseal2

WKR
I've had the opportunity to see the Havalon multi-tool, Havalon Hydra, and Havalon Titan in person. I honestly didn't like any real well. They all seemed like they would be awkward to use. I didn't actually use them on game so take that for what it's worth. The multi-tool would work for game, it just didn't feel real agile with the handle shape. I like a longer blade or at least one with more belly personally I've never been a huge Piranta fan for anything but caping anyway. The Hydra has such a long handle it just feels awkward and I bet it's not that much lighter than a Barracuda and Piranta anyway. The Titan is the best feeling of the bunch, but still not for me. I am not a huge fan of the regular blade's length or shape, and prefer a longer blade than the Piranta.

Again, all of them would work to do the job. None are the perfect solution for me. I'm kinda picky about my tools I guess.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
My elks 2 years ago I used the havalon on more. My deer this year I used the folding knife almost exclusively.... that's where I'm having issues deciding which I like more because it seems to be just a in the moment decision ha

Don’t know their multi tool but I have two havalons and like them. I tried the gut hook and the saw blades this year. Both were OK but not great. I definitely like using the multi tool pliers to swap blades. Also, it was kind of a pain in the ass to swap from one blade to the next even with pliers. Enough that I probably wouldn’t do it mid stream while gutting or quartering an animal in the field. It is also the time I usuallly break blades.

If i had only one havalon I am not sure I would have thought it was worth while to swap to the gut hook and then back to a blade during gutting. As it was I used both on a whitetail If I were backpacking hunting and concerned about weight I don’t think there was enough benefit to carrying two havalons to justify the weight. I also used my multi tool saw to cut the sternum and pelvis gate so didn’t use the saw blade.

I used a leartherman wave one season as my only blade / tool and it worked pretty fine. I field dressed, skinned and deboned a blacktail with it without resharpening and found the tool functions handy . I did NOT find it comfy to use especially for the weight penalty of a full sized muti tool. It didnt excel at any 1 function, is heavy , and I didnt find me really needing the heavy duty tools . I find the tiny Gerber dime to be handy and useful with negligible weight . I do NOT carry a multi tool to specifically change blades ( I personally do it bye hand with a tyto and usually just use a fixed blade anyway ) but more as a "multi " use tool as its name ( multi tool ) states. Having a separate dedicated hunting blade and the tiny tool has proven to be the best set up for me.