Multi tools??

amp713

WKR
Who is running multi tools in backpacking scenarios? I've got a gerber suspension I've ran on my belt daily for some time and randomly slid it into my side pocket on my AGC Today and damned if it didn't look like it was meant to be there. 9 OZ, lots of uses, and I already pack 2 folding knifes when I hunt (havalon and a buck). Seems like this may be a good switch for the buck knife. I also saw gerber hhas an archery purpose built multi tool that weighs in at under 6 OZ.

My question is if you pack in a multi tool or even pack is some specialty tools what do you use the most besides the standard blade? Or do you find yourself not using anything but the blade mostly?

I think a company used to make a multi tool called the skeleton that was supposed to be super lightweight but don't remember much else... any one packing a light weight multi tool they like?

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Only 2.5 ounces more than the skeletool and it has a sharpener, a ferro rod and your general tools as well...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry a gerber dime. Pretty much everything I liked about my Swiss Army knife it replaced except now I have pliers for when my outdoor edge blades are gummed up. Weighs 2.2 oz.

boom

WKR
Trout fishing. Backcountry trout trips; nothing better. Saves me from packing a knife, pliers, and scissors. I carry a leatherman FUSE. Pliers for removing fish hooks, scissors for cutting really light line, knife zips open fish. I love the thing. I keep it in my truck, one trip I forgot a knife and grabbed it. Changed the game.

The knives take a razors edge. Toothy Sharp; if that makes any sense. It cuts a slippery trout so easy.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Leatherman Wave tool is on my hip pretty much all the time and definitely when I am hunting. I probably use the scissors the most after the blade.

PredatorX

WKR
When I got lost in Colorado my Leatherman wave and the saw blade helped me process pine bedding.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a leatherman wave. Goes with me almost all the time. Use the scissors the must. Screw drivers and pliers for repairs. Use the bits for tweaking bow on occasion. The saw is great for opening sternum and pelvis gate on a white tail if you are into that sort of thing. I tend to consider it essential kit. If I lost mine, I would replace it with the lighter version.

mk_v

WKR
That was the one I was trying to remember!!

However after going to their sight I found this one that really peaks my interest...

Signal 19-in-1 Multi-Tool | Leatherman

I have that tool and the carbon skeletool looks. My only complaint with the signal is it’s heavy. The skeletool, the grip for me is uncomfortable when using pliers. I use the signal more because it’s more comfortable.

Mk

Last edited:
I run the same one. It is the only tool that I continue to pack and have yet to use it. I want to leave it at home but I know the moment I do, I will need it. I typically like to to leave anything I don’t use after 2 chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I carry a Leatherman PST II. I had one in high school as my first Leatherman but lost it in college. Found a NIB old stock one on bladeforums recently and had to buy it. I like those older models. They're simpler, smaller, and weigh less than the newer ones.

mcseal2

WKR
I don't always carry one with me hunting. On the ranch or fishing I carry a Wave every day. When hunting it's never farther away from me than my camp or glovebox. I'd say the tools I use in the field most are pliers, scissors, and saw. I use the other tools around home more. I have had the mini screwdriver fix my only pair of sunglasses on a hunt.

Some of the other models are lighter but none I like really well that I've seen. I figure if I think I need a multi-tool I'll pack the 3oz to have the Wave with more tools over the Skeletool. I had a Skeletool and never really liked it. I don't like the combo blade and the pliers didn't seem to comfortable to me to use. I also didn't like the screwdriver sticking out of the handle.

I just looked up the PST II. I think I could have liked that one, it's missing the saw and has a combo edge, but it's pretty simple and has a pliers and scissors I like. Anyone know what that model weighs?

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
I've run a Leatherman Wave daily for about 20 years now ... every time I think it's heavy, I seem to need something on it that you don't usually find on other models. The pliers are good for minor repairs, as well as grabbing webbing ends and getting purchase that you just can't do with bare fingers. Scissors are great for trimming loose threads on clothing to prevent pulls, and cutting Leukotape and patch tape. I've used both the saw and file in times I wouldn't have predicted - but did not convince me I need to carry full-size versions full-time.

I'm still toying with running a Juice S2 if closer to home, as it's lighter and has most of what I use most of the time. And it comes in hunter orange! ;)

I carry a fixed or folding knife on my hip at all times for general duty. And for the past couple years I have been carrying fix it stix. There are a couple of things I really like about them:

1. I can customize the bits that I am carrying for the activity I am doing; biking, bow hunting, rifle hunting, backcountry skiing. I only carry the bits that I will need to repair the gear I have with me.

2. You can actually get enough torque on things and by having the correct bit with you not strip everything out.

Fix It Sticks | Light and portable tools for bikes

Tod osier

WKR
Always carry one in the backcountry. Pliers for fish and Havalon blades, scizzors for tape, knife for eating (cutting cheese and sausage). I always want a sharpener on there, but never use it and I like a saw and have used that some. I can never find one with what I consider the right combo. Going to keep an eye on this thread for ideas...

I just looked up the PST II. I think I could have liked that one, it's missing the saw and has a combo edge, but it's pretty simple and has a pliers and scissors I like. Anyone know what that model weighs?

specs on the pst2 say 5 oz. same as a skeletool.