Most Sturdy Trekking Poles Under $75

I would really like to be able to rely on my trekking poles since I hunt rugged terrain and have steep, off-trail, downhills with weight. It would almost be better not to have them if there is a reasonable likelihood that they break. I'm not as worried about weight. Budget is firm at $75 max.

I would like to use them as a shooting rest also, either by using the straps or a DIY strap to add support when holding them together. I would assume that something sturdy for downhill hikes would also be a decent rest, but wanted to add that as well.

My research has suggested that aluminum, with the non-twist locks (called quick locks and many other names), are more sturdy. Possibly better to go with a pole that only breaks into two pieces rather than three.

I've looked at the black diamond trail back, trail, trail sport 2 or and montem ultra strong. I have heard some positive reviews about the Cascade Mountain Tech aluminum trekking poles as well, but I have been thinking the more expensive ones would be better (just because of the general "you get what you pay for").

I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
If you are a Costco member, get the Cascade Mountain Tech poles for $30. They are carbon fiber but you can get two sets for your budget. Plus, Costco has a generous return policy. This would at least get you a set of decent poles that you can try out and see if you use them enough to justify dumping more money into.

I don't know what is the most sturdy out there as I have only tried a few different ones.
I used these all this year, and they are perfect for me at 5-9
Amazon.com : Tri-Fold Carbon Cork Trekking Poles / Sticks - 115 to 135 cm - Folding, Collapsible, Adjustable, and Ultralight - Perfect for Hiking, Walking, Backpacking and Snowshoeing : Sports & Outdoors
I don't have to adjust them at that height, I just put them together and they are perfect so there is no way they can slip down.

There C/Service is second to none.
I had ne pole with the spring loaded plunger getting stuck, emailed them, in a week I had the replacement pole and I was set to go.

I really like them cause they are super compact and CF for light weight back pack hunting, and the cost is awesome too

edit*
I hunt above 10,000' elev and very rugged areas. These worked flawlessly on a bull elk and 2 mule deer bucks.

OP
I
Sorry JP, the picture didn't come through.

Keep th comments coming. Thanks guys.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Hard to beat the Costco cascades for the price if you're not counting ounces.

Definitely don't get twist locks, they will fail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

coop2424

WKR
I bought the Leki aluminum with the flip locks for extreme durability. I don't see how you could get much stronger than those. I have had some situations where I thought they would at a min bend but have not. I got them off sierra trading post with one of their 25% off coupons and was right at $70 shipped.

OP
I
Which Leki model was it? Did you have to spend another $15 on rubber tips for the poles?

I used the piss outa my Costco ones ( cascade mt tek ) for hiking and for my shelter with not one issue. Flip lock model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
I
Ahh, people really like the Costco ones.

But are they really strong for steep downhills or would the BD/Lekis have better components and more stability?

Thanks much!!

PNWGATOR

WKR
I've used the Costco trekking poles for the last two years scouting and hunting the mountains of North and Central Idaho. They're robust. Only trekking poles I'd replace them with are the black diamonds. Andrew Skurka did a review of them on his blog and that was enough validation regarding their performance for me. They've done great and are an essential part of my kit.

OP
I
Gator, would you buy the BDs then if you were me and you had the budget? Would you feel that they were stronger? Sounds like you're a big CM fan.

Ahh, people really like the Costco ones.

But are they really strong for steep downhills or would the BD/Lekis have better components and more stability?

Thanks much!!

All over the sierras mostly starting around 8500 ft ending up at around 11 , lot of volcanic looking steep rugged stuff , they lasted. They also come with a variety of tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Napperm4

WKR
A little late to the party but I’d throw in a recommendation for BD. Haven’t used the Costco ones but I have miles of hard terrain on my black diamonds. I use the trail cork ergos.

I have some wicked knee problems and they’ve stood up to serious abuse. Survived the west coast trail, 4 years of hiking the Canadian rockies very regularly and 4 years of hard hunting the Rockies for 50+ days at a crack and countless snowshoe trips.

With the knee problems I stumble quite a bit. I weigh 215 lbs and my pack has been up to 90ish on top of that and they have stood up to catching all those falls.

I also use them to pitch my tarps / tipi and they’ve never wavered under serious winds or snow.

Can’t say enough good about them. Also they’re purchased through MEC so lifetime no fault guarantee if I do bend or break one.

Owenst7

WKR
I've got about 200 miles on my Costco poles through terrain like this
bpYoYkc.jpg

including packing an elk and a mulie 8 miles out of a wilderness hunt.

I liked them so much I bought my girlfriend a pair, and she just bought me a second pair because some dickhead that was drunk driving ran over my backpack at a campsite a month ago. Knowing Costco, they would probably replace them, but I wouldn't feel right about it. I've fallen on them with a backpack full of elk and never been concerned about them holding my weight. Even getting run over, the cork grips were really all that broke.

The carbide tips lasted me about 150 miles. You can replace them with Black Diamond tips that are about $7 on Amazon. I've started using the rubber tips when I'm in the rocks because they grip better, so I imagine that'll add a lot of life to them.

At $30/pair, I'm going to buy a couple to leave in my truck and gear closet just to have spares/loaners in case I forget to throw some in the car. I pulled both my IT bands this past summer and have found I can go several more miles each day if I lean hard on them when going up or down hills.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I commented in the DIY section already, you keep saying "strong for steep downhills". Steep down hills don't necessarily beat on a pole, what beats on a pole regardless of terrain angle is getting the tip/lower section stuck in something and continuing forward and pulling on the pole, that is what snaps/bends a pole. Aluminum ones you can slowly bend back somewhat into shape to finish off the trip if they aren't massively bent. And for the record good twist lock poles function just fine. My 20+ yr old komperdell twist lock poles have held up just fine, this year they started slipping a tad but fresh inserts (free from komperdell) has them back in action. I used a set of cascade mountain cheapie aluminum ones while I was waiting for new inserts, I bent the tip section of one of those when I fell onto to side of it with a heavy arse pack on, I mostly straightened it and finished the trip. I just picked up some komperdell carbons with aluminum flip locks and alloy lower section as they're lighter than my 20yr old aluminum ones and I figured I'd give them a try.

OP
I
This is helpful. Since I haven't used trekking poles before, I'm unaware of what precise force compromises them. I can be careful not to get them stuck into objects. I mostly want the support of putting my weight on them if needed to stabilize.

I really appreciate all the comments!

Also the "some dickhead who was drunk driving" comment is still making me chuckle. We could maybe even use more description of that story.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If the Black Diamonds fit your budget they're definitely a 'better' product and one you wouldn't be disappointed in.